Myth or not? Deep air/oxtox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you put together the thread on TDS regarding the woman cave diver's death due to oxtox (which includes other references to oxtox deaths),

with the other TDS thread about a california diver finding his deco gas tasting like ammonia, wherein it's noted that some valve seats for high percentage O2 deco bottles are flash vapourizing when being either filled or opened, there's an interesting picture there.

These were O2 cleaned valves IIRC. Several alarming chemicals were discussed as a result of the valve seats flash burning.

Indeed, lab rats.

The woman cave diver's death may not have been related to an o2 hit. There still seems to be some specualtion that this may have been related to taking Afrin prior to the dive, which has known side effects of seizures. Although the thread states that she had a lower tolerance to high PO2's which was discovered in a chamber ride.

But still, you don't hear about people toxing out on air. Sheck dove to over 400 ft on air (don't ask me why) and lived to tell about it. You don't hear about many people diving to 220 on 32% and coming back. So it seems to me that there may be some nitrogen-related insulation there but again, nothing I'd like to test out myself. I prefer to boldly go where other men have gone before :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom