Myth busters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well guess what..

Tank shot in bottom = Missile (air just comes out of the hole, same if you opened the valve on the tank and let go)
Tank shot in side = missile
Tank laced with C4 and detonated = A big bang. (duh)

The only question I have is if the tank was steel and rusted out it "could" cause a catastrophic fracture, but an up to date tank should not explode. The one in the movie was an AL80.

Ok so we've all seen a tank being "shot" what about replacing the burst disc with a solid bolt, fill the tank. and heat to 200 degrees F and see what would result!

Whos up for the challenge?

Lil' Irish Temper:
I like the comment about the 1.3 million explosion power in the tank

Yea I thought that was pretty amazing also......I'm on the dept. Dive Team and when we do a dive in water where Alligators are likely we have a .308 cal. Sniper Rifle set up and have always joked about being careful not to hit the tank :eyebrow: Now I know it would just be an E-Ticket ride and a great way to get away from danger in a hurry I might start telling them to just hit the tank :wink:

Wildbill :cop_2:

Did anybody notice how they cowered behind a brick wall and fired the rifle remotely?

Thank you whalerkyle for not being a big sissy, and thank you for pulling the trigger yourself.

The mythbusters probably hadn't seen Kyles video, or maybe they were dramatizing the situation for the audiance.

Hockeynut:
Did anybody notice how they cowered behind a brick wall and fired the rifle remotely?

Thank you whalerkyle for not being a big sissy, and thank you for pulling the trigger yourself.

Kyle was 240 yards away, they were closer. Rule #1, be safe. IF Kyle did have a catastrophic failure when he did his "test" I bet he would have needed to change his shorts if he survived.

From what I have read elsewhere there is some testing done using firearms, fires and shaped charges by makers and the government. Safety is paramount.

i like the lil scooter he was in when they was hitting the sharks that would be cool to have
i still think they should got the power of a gw tho they may have more strength

teknitroxdiver:
Yeah, it's always great of PR of scuba diving when a diving operator compares an AL80 to a 'bomb'....

He got free advertising though, maybe even paid to say it. Most of the had on "Stuart's Cove" wetsuits and everything, and I"m sure it will drum up business for him. It was very odd hearing him say it though.

I liked the scuba scooter thing too, although it would freak me out having the water around neck level constantly, knowing it was just waiting to bust in if the air pressure stopped, hehe.

Excuse my ignorance but I though people were diving steel tanks when the original jaws came out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom