Mystic Marriott (Groton, CT) Area Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterPursuit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I will be staying at the Mystic Marriott with a friend for a business meeting on June 9and would like to find a LDS for which we can setup a dive with.

I'm not entirely familiar with the area but I can obviously say that Groton and Mystic aren't too far from the hotel. We will not have any transportation so we wouldn't want to go any farther than a reasonably priced taxi ride.

We are both experienced divers that will require rental gear. Does anyone have any suggestions? I suppose it may be hard to find someone on a Tuesday, between 1:00 and 6:00 but I thought it would be worth a shot.

Heck, is it even worth our time, are there cool places to dive around that area?

Thanks for the help!

I think the closest place to dive would probably be Avery Point or Stonington Point. You can only dive Stonington point at night as far as I know though. You can google dive shops in connecticut to find someone close.

Given your narrow time window and oft snotty viz./dive conditions - dry sites to visit would be the Mystic Seaport, or the Submarine Force Museum.

X

You don't have many choices in CT as most of the diving is by boat with a few exceptions. This is because of the bottom type - sand and shallow along most of the CT coast and very limited access over private property.

You can try Gary Chellis who runs the Atlantis out of New London: Wreck Diving and Scuba Diving at Atlantis Dive Charters

He might be able to help you with gear, or even run the boat for you. Shore dives can be done in Waterford at Harkness Memorial Park and Stonington but expect limited vis at 10 feet or a bit more. But you have to be aware of tides at all times.

The next closest shops I can recommend would be Divers Cove in Essex and then you have a few along the RI coast out by Jamestown and Newport.

Most of the shore dives tend to be out in Jamestown and Newport, RI and up North of Boston.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom