Mystery blue killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Buzo Loco

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Found this little guy hiding in the rocks on Sunday at Seal Island (N27 58.447 W111 22.717) while diving with Surface Time in San Carlos, MX.

He's about an inch long and was really aggressive in defending his rock.

Any idea what he is? I couldn't find him on my Sea of Cortez fish cards...

Shot him with the Oly C5050.

But it is a great picture of a cool looking fish

I don't know exactly but my best guess is it's some sort of Damsel. From what I can see, it has the same body characteristics.

I'd do a Google search for Sea of Cotez Fish ID.

Edit....

OK, I did that Google search and found a picture of the beautiful Blue Bomb but no name! It was listed in Paul Humann/Ned DeLoaches Sea of Cortez Fish ID book. Here's the photo.... It's definately in the Damsel family. Body shape and features looks like the Caribbean Bicolor Damsel, the colors are just seperated differently.

Baja17.jpg

Dee:

Thanks for the research. I never thought of doing a web search, having always relied on my cards.

Sur looks similar to the photo you posted, so it must be in the same family.

Don't see many of them in the Sea of Cortez in the areas where I dive. They sure are cute critters!

Well...Whatever it is is supposed to be common in the Sea of Cortez. Maybe check with your local library to see if they have the ID book. Or better yet....buy the book! I'm on my second set of Paul Humann/Ned DeLoaches Reef Series...I smooth wore the first one out! and I can promice you there's more fish in there than those cards!

It is definitely a damsel...the body shape is exactly the same as the blue and green chromis we see in the caribbean! Very cute, and VERY territorial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom