Myrtle Beach/Express Watersports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaNurse758

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be on vacation in Myrtle Beach the first week in August (1st-6th). I plan to dive with Express Watersports. Just hoped some of the locals/experienced could give me some pointers on what days to dive. I have AOW and Nitrox, but mainly just want to see some good wrecks and enjoy the diving. The calendar for the week shows Rush Reef, Copper Pot wreck, 10 Mile Barge and Tugboat/airplane. If anybody has any experience with this outfit and can offer a good choice for a day, or two, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Jordan.

Jordan,

I've dove with Express Watersports several times and they're a great outfit to dive with. For the dates you've listed, I'd do the Copper Pot wreck. It's an old wreck with a lot of good marine life.

If you've never dove in the Carolinas before it very different than the Caribbean. You are paying for a ride to the wreck site and that's about it. The crew will help you in and out of the water and they should have some water on board to drink. Bring your own food and drinks.

Conditions can vary greatly from day to day. I've seen days with no current and very smooth seas and days with strong current and rough seas. The ride out to the wreck site may be anywhere from 1-2 hours with a 2 hour surface interval. Be ready for anything.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

-- Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I spoke with Express earlier today and reserved a spot for the Copper Pot wreck. I will probably do a dive another day just to be in the water. I'm excited to try the Carolina's as no one else in my dive group has been over that way either so it will be a new experience to take back. And thanks for the heads up on the outfit, although as a nurse I'm used to having to eat when and if I can. Thanks again, I'll report back after I get back!

Jordan.

Hi, I also will be in myrtle beach on 8/5 to 8/10 and am considering doing a couple of dives. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are as far as visibility and when is the best time of the day to dive? Morning, noon? I got certified 2 years ago and have only done mostly carribean and Keys diving.

I just returned from Myrtle Beach and dived there on 7/27/10. I dove the Goldfinch. Vis was 20ft. I dove with Express Watersports and we left the dock about 8 AM. I would try to dive in the AM if possible because just about everyday last week it rained in the afternoon and some of the storms were pretty intense. Express was a very good outfit and would recommend them to everyone. There staff was friendly and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom