Mykonos, Santorini or Crete???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going to Athens for 5 and a half days on August 15th. I have read info on dive spots around Greece but there is a lot of conflicting info or just reviews of dive shops as opposed to dive locations

My question is which of these three Islands,Mykonos, Santorini,Crete would you recommend and what dives would you recommend if I go there? (I don't want dive shop reviews but dive location reviews/advice.)

I will only have 3 days, so maybe 5-6 dives. I want an area that has as much marine life as possible (though I know it's difficult in the Med) to supplement the cave and wreck diving.

Any help,advice or info will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I do not know for Mykonos
Santorini is beautiful and if you go to Crete do not forget to visit the elephant cave

Hello,

no (yet) really good wrecks in Crete but I agree with the comment on Elephant Cave!

I have posted a few video of some dive sites in the South part of Crete on
JeromeSmeets - YouTube

And contributed to Wannadivers Community - Offline with info on all the places I've dived here.

From what I've experienced so far, the South is much better excepted for Elephant Cave (beetween Chania and Rethymno), a must for any diver in Crete.

Hello,

In Crete they have a lot of caves and caverns (Elephand cave between Rethimno and Chania and Chania with the cathedral and the tunels).

In Mykonos there also a lot of diving spots.
Like the wreck of Anna II (22-33m, its a 64 m long cargo ship boat) at Lia region, wreck of Pelloponisos (for very experience divers, up to 50m.) at N.E. part of the island.
Moreover, Kalafakiona and Lia reef (a lot of fishes, sponges and other marine life). Wall diving at Agia Anna/Loulos and Tragkonisi island with caverns and caves.

Thanks

We just booked 3 weeks in Crete and being interested in diving. One key issue is smoking (we don't, according to statistics, most greeks do). How about the situation around dive centers?

Blue Island divers on Antiparos offers small caves,boulders,wrecks etc. Gary the owner is british, and will take good care of you,!
You can also dive with Kallianos inErmione in the Saronnic(all accesible by boat). They have a small center on a small island,and even have a reef in the middle of the Hydra gulf.... Clear water inGreece,but not so much life. Octopusses,maybe groupers, and Kallianos advertises dolphin dives,but they may be hard to spot :) Kallianos speaks several languages too..

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Is a boat dive to Dia (Crete) worth? The youtoube video I found didn't give me the "wannadive" feeling: Dia island diving in Crete - YouTube
Doesn't seem to be more rewarding than an average shore dive from Crete, unless you like pottery.

Lots of broken amphorae, but not much sea life:( But maybe its just the camera man wanted to focus more on the antiquities?

True, the amphoras are the most interesting things to see in that specific dive spot at Dia island, but we dived another place where we saw much more life. For me the amphoras were really exciting, so I think it was worth visiting. But if you aren't interested in those broken amphoras, maybe can visit another sites. Sometimes there aren't much life around wrecks, there is a WWII airplane wreck but the dive center didn't suggest the dive because it's so small, you look around in 10 minutes and there aren't anything else but sand.:)

Thanks for the feedback! My number 1 candidate is the elephant cave, but picking some more here.
Karga Island and The Arch look interesting.

True, the amphoras are the most interesting things to see in that specific dive spot at Dia island, but we dived another place where we saw much more life. For me the amphoras were really exciting, so I think it was worth visiting. But if you aren't interested in those broken amphoras, maybe can visit another sites. Sometimes there aren't much life around wrecks, there is a WWII airplane wreck but the dive center didn't suggest the dive because it's so small, you look around in 10 minutes and there aren't anything else but sand.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom