My wimpy first Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hollywood703

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, I was a little wary about my first dive, so I did it the wimp way....I went out to the lake where i dive normally, and my wife was enjoying the sun from the boat (had her gear in the boat however) I made my 30 foot dive, practiced some basic skills, did some navigational work, and then a 15 minute free swim. I had my surface marker attached as I was at some points a good distance from the boat. I had pre-planned for a 35 minute dive, and my wife had a timer set. I am confident with my skills, it was just that leap of not having someone right near you. I understand that this isnt a true solo as I had someone watching my progress, but I feel much better about not having another diver within proximity. Im glad that I planned my first dive this way, It gave me that added piece of mind. My next solo will be the same dive without my wife. I have read a lot in the solo diver Forum, and appreciate everyones input about all aspect of Solo Diving. I do not plan to Solo Dive regularly, just if I want to dive when I cant get one of the guys to go, I want to be able to just go out, and be confident about it.

And for the record, my wife doesnt like to lake dive, she only dives tropical, except once a year for our annual treasure hunt/cleanup. I do have a 30cf Pony also.

Nothing wimpy about that, man. Also nothing wrong with having her tag along as surface support. If I could get my woman out there with me just to watch over me I would. You never know what could happen. Good idea to drag the pony along.

There is a book by Robert von Maier on solo diving that is worth reading. He discusses all aspects of it, such as dive planning, condition selection, max depth, redundant gear, etc.

If you google the author and title (Solo Diving) you should be able to find and order it. [I found it for you, below.]

It is one of my favorite scuba books, and very applicable to all solo divers.

Not expensive, only about $12 new.

http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Diving-2nd-Underwater-Self-Sufficiency/dp/1881652289/ref=sr_1_1/002-6672265-7261614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187137873&sr=1-1

i agree - not wimpy... a geniue assessment of your comfort level and not just yours but the Mrs as well

enjoy & safe diving

(I just ordered that, thanks)

...then can I say I'm "trained"?

I would agree with everyone else, doesn't sound like a wimpy dive to me. My first solo's were in the 20-30 ft. range. It is a good range to see what you think of it! Glad you liked it, and I wish you many more happy solo dives!

Well done it sounds to me!

No wimpy dive there. All you did was a conservative dive, practiced some skills and enjoyed yourself. Nothing wrong with that.

My first solo was pretty much that also. I had just got my pony, took it out and practiced with it, did not pass 30 feet, though I did stay down for 1 hour.

My wife was on the shore following my bubbles. She likes tagging alone and by the end of this week she will be diving with me as she is doing her OW.

I also find it very relaxing not having to worry about a buddy as you will probably find out after a few dives.

All the best on your next dive

I agree with everyone else here. Nothing wimpy at all about your dive. My first solo dives were all in the 20-30 foot range. Get comfortable diving alone first. Then, when diving alone at 30 feels a little too restrictive, then start pushing deeper a little at a time. Kinda like how a brand new diver should pus the depth limits.

Congrats on your first solo! Just make sure you plan all dives as solo dives, and you'll be good to go.

FD

well, it was a wimpy dive, 30ft for a few minutes.......but that's not the point is it?

It was a solo dive! Your first, so don't be embarrassed, we all were there at one point. I wimped out the first time......completely wimped out, called the dive on myself. :)

Just be safe an know what/why you are doing things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom