My wetsuit has a STAIN!!!!!!! HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris3536

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I need help. Being as bright as a burnt out light bulb, after my last dive I left my new wetsuit in in a big plastic tub in my basement. Instead of doing the correct thing and wash it out with a hose and hang dry......I left it sit there.....FOR 3 WEEKS!

Now, all my bright yellow trim looks like it has "rust" stains and won't come out!!!

Any suggestions!

I know of a natural Mildew remover that MIGHT be safe for your wetsuit. Here's a link
It's from a Natural Products company called gaiam.com.

Shame on you for not cleaning gear immediately! Oh well, this might be a very expensive lesson!

Happy De-Mildewing!
Scuba-sass :)

If the stain is rust, make a dilute solution of oxalic acid--a very weak acid-- and dip your suit in it. Oxalic acid can usually be purchased a hardware stores: it is used to remove nail stains from wood.

Then, I suggest you do what will affront some divers who read this: wash your suit in a lot of water, some Woolite and an 1/8 cup of bleach. That small amount of bleach will not hurt the neoprene, but it will get rid of any mouldy odor. I do this Woolite and bleach wash in my washing machine using the delicate cycle after every dive trip. This minimal exposure to bleach is not at all harmful as far as I can tell--and it sure makes for a nice smelling wet suit!

Scorpionfish

scorpionfish once bubbled...
If the stain is rust, make a dilute solution of oxalic acid--a very weak acid-- and dip your suit in it. Oxalic acid can usually be purchased a hardware stores: it is used to remove nail stains from wood.

An easy to find source of Oxalic acid is "Bar Keepers Friend" a cleanser that is found in most grocery stores.

Back
Top Bottom