My Versa Pro died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought my computer in 2006 and changed the battery/seal every years. But now..... it's dead. I changed the battery/seal last friday and dove on saterday and guess what........FLOOD.

It's good to have the option to change the battery our self but there is a risk, event if you followed all the rules (changed seal and little bit a lubrifiant on it).

Just my 2 cents

Even though it is a simple process to change the battery, it is always touchy opening any dive gear with an o-ring, and applying lubricant. I can't tell you the # of camera housings I've observed flood, after being "serviced" by the user, not a pro. I've done it myself, twice, with camera housings. Thankfully both times it was only the housing, as I never dive with a new or newly serviced housing with the camera in it, rather it goes down on a test-dive empty. Whew!

ON the Versa Pro, we have two. One eats batteries, so into the shop it goes before each of our trips. When we were diving continuously down in the Caribbean, the batteries would last about a year. Now that they spend most of their time in storage between our semi-annual dive trips, one seems to do ok, the other has a dead battery before each trip. Not sure if it is a battery issue or an issue with that particular Versa Pro. Batteries and service by a pro are cheap, compared to a new computer, we figure.

Have to agree with Cardog. I had the same thing happen to mine. Although i had a shop replace the battery:shakehead:

It stopped working and when i checked it the battery was all nasty looking and full of water. Cleaned it out,took it to a BETTER shop and he reinstalled the battery correctly and no problems since:D

I cleaned and dried the battery compartment but still didnt work :-( I dont know if it's because it was salt water and I opened it 2 weeks after the fload to clean up.....
The battery compatment of the Versa Pro is sealed from the computer. Just clean and dry the battery compartment and either try it again or take it to a shop.

Had one of our two Versa Pro's serviced (new battery, o-ring and depth tested to 150') by the largest Oceanic dealer in the country. Guess what, flooded on the very first dive!

We took it in to a local (B & B at Maui) equipment tech, he cleaned out the battery compartment, re-installed a new battery. Lasted for 12 dives, flooded again. B & B, did it again, cleaned the battery compartment, put in a new o-ring and battery, dove 4 more dives. Took it back to our local shop (A-1 Scuba in Denver), when Ken opened it up... Flooded! So it was declared "dead" However GREAT news from Oceanic, they stood behind their computer. They are sending us a refurbished one to replace this one.

So when we dive, again this fall, we'll see how that one works!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom