My test dive with a Nikon D200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

X'mas. I keep telling myself, X'mas. :banghead: :banghead:

Nice looking housing Warren. Making my hands twitch towards my wallet.

Tim, you still have a few weeks before the Puerto Galera workshop.... think how smug you'll feel with a housed D200 vs our meager 350D's and D70's.... :D

pakman:
Tim, you still have a few weeks before the Puerto Galera workshop.... think how smug you'll feel with a housed D200 vs our meager 350D's and D70's.... :D

Won't make it. It will take 2 weeks to deliver. And I am getting a new car in September.. so... X'mas. It has to be X'mas.

For PG I will be using my measly C7070. :D

But I will be using the D200 for surface shots... :wink:

Diver Dennis:
howarde, I can't believe I missed your thread. GREAT shots! I don't have the dial button problems Catherine has had and I've had my housing past 190'. I like my Ike and especially the price...:D
Thanks Dennis - Actually since this thread (notice someone revived it yesterday) - The original ike housing I got had problems with the front command wheel. Ryan (Reef Photo) swapped housings for me and sent the other one back to Ike. The new housing works flawlessly. Each click changes F-Stop settings - as it should.

@ Eveyone else - Thanks for the compliments ----

In comparison between the Ikelite housing and the S&S housing. I really liked the S&S, and hope to someday be able to get that or the Subal. The ports are nicer (glass) the construction, lighter and more durable, and the controls are more accurate. But at more than 1/2 the price, the Ikelite still takes the same quality photos :wink:

@Jcsgt - Get Flood Insurance. I have DEPP http://www.awryinc.com/ flood insurance. It's only a few hundred per year, and they'll replace your camera in case of flood, loss, accidental breakage, etc. Not just underwater, but topside too.

howarde:
@Jcsgt - Get Flood Insurance. I have DEPP http://www.awryinc.com/ flood insurance. It's only a few hundred per year, and they'll replace your camera in case of flood, loss, accidental breakage, etc. Not just underwater, but topside too.

If you have homeowners insurance, look into that option. I got my gear insured with a rider on my homeowners for about 1% of the equipment cost. It is insured against anything, loss, damage, flooding, breakage, anything. I insured about 6,000 in gear including some of my dive equipment for $60 bucks. You can NOT beat those prices, and the coverage is MUCH broader vs. DEPP, DAN, or anything else I found.

Don't let people fool you and tell you that calling State Farm (my insurance) or whomever will result in your home coverage getting dropped. If you have a good history with these companies, they WANT your additional business. In fact, unlike EVERYTHING else in my life, our rates for out homeowners went DOWN last year. Getting a check from the Escrow account and having our mortgage payment reduced was a pleasent surprise at a time when everything is skyrocketing except my pay!

RonFrank:
If you have homeowners insurance, look into that option. I got my gear insured with a rider on my homeowners for about 1% of the equipment cost. It is insured against anything, loss, damage, flooding, breakage, anything. I insured about 6,000 in gear including some of my dive equipment for $60 bucks. You can NOT beat those prices, and the coverage is MUCH broader vs. DEPP, DAN, or anything else I found.

Don't let people fool you and tell you that calling State Farm (my insurance) or whomever will result in your home coverage getting dropped. If you have a good history with these companies, they WANT your additional business. In fact, unlike EVERYTHING else in my life, our rates for out homeowners went DOWN last year. Getting a check from the Escrow account and having our mortgage payment reduced was a pleasent surprise at a time when everything is skyrocketing except my pay!

I added my underwater photo gear to my homeowner's policy (Allstate) in the late 80s. I had been with Allstate for more than 20 years, never had a claim. In the second year of my photo gear coverage I had a housing fall off a bench on a dive boat and it was badly damaged. I submitted a claim ($1200) to Allstate. They paid the claim immediately and then within a month, cancelled my HO policy. Needless to say we have avoided Allstate, and adding photo gear to HO policies, since then.

parabolic:
I added my underwater photo gear to my homeowner's policy (Allstate) in the late 80s. I had been with Allstate for more than 20 years, never had a claim. In the second year of my photo gear coverage I had a housing fall off a bench on a dive boat and it was badly damaged. I submitted a claim ($1200) to Allstate. They paid the claim immediately and then within a month, cancelled my HO policy. Needless to say we have avoided Allstate, and adding photo gear to HO policies, since then.

I hear stories like this all the time. In the mid 80's my car was stolen, and StateFarm paid out about $1000 in damages for car contents. No problem, nothing cancelled.

So what reason did they give for cancelling your policy?

Why would you think that one insurance agency is all that different from another? What is the point of having insurance if you can not use it?

I'm certainly not doubting your experience, but when I read this type of stuff I have to wonder why my experience is so different. I have used Geico for claims (we replace about a windshield a year) without issue. I've had a couple claimes against my HO over the decades. Not only have the experiences been good, they have not raised our rates.

Back
Top Bottom