My test dive with a Nikon D200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howarde, Aquatica is a beautiful thing, until you look at the price tag. Very sexy housing,...but alas, it is only a housing.

Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but it may be worth exploring. The dial buttons that change the modes on the Ikelite housings do get quirky at depth, so don't be shocked. Kevin Davidson, the photog at Sam's always has to adjust mine (not sure what he does) and mine needs to be sent to Ike now. The hard foam cushions are not grabbing the mode dials or the f-stop dials....No apparent reason that I can see. He says he sees this a lot....he is helping people day after day, so it is not just me. I use stuff pretty hard though.

Having said that, I need a clear housing since I have so little experience topside and a bad memory at depth. being able to see the camera makes a difference in the beginning.

Leesa and I dove the other day with this guy who had a 10k camera in one of those zip-lock housings....we were quite amazed.

Thanks, Ron. Looks fantastic! The D-100 I have was 1400, body four years ago at duty free. Hmm...the bigger LCD screen sure would help me. The D-100 does not always focus well in low light.

catherine96821:
Howarde, Aquatica is a beautiful thing, until you look at the price tag. Very sexy housing,...but alas, it is only a housing.

Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but it may be worth exploring. The dial buttons that change the modes on the Ikelite housings do get quirky at depth, so don't be shocked. Kevin Davidson, the photog at Sam's always has to adjust mine (not sure what he does) and mine needs to be sent to Ike now. The hard foam cushions are not grabbing the mode dials or the f-stop dials....No apparent reason that I can see. He says he sees this a lot....he is helping people day after day, so it is not just me. I use stuff pretty hard though.

Having said that, I need a clear housing since I have so little experience topside and a bad memory at depth. being able to see the camera makes a difference in the beginning.

Leesa and I dove the other day with this guy who had a 10k camera in one of those zip-lock housings....we were quite amazed.

Thanks, Ron. Looks fantastic! The D-100 I have was 1400, body four years ago at duty free. Hmm...the bigger LCD screen sure would help me. The D-100 does not always focus well in low light.

The D200 focused pretty fast... and the viz has been so bad, I'd call it low light conditions.

I'll hopefully dive the Ikelite housing in 3 weeks, so I'll give you my take on that - then :D

catherine96821:

I'd be interested to know what they are doing when Sam's *fixes* your camera housing. Sounds like you need to send the housing into Ike for a complete oil change, lube, and carberator adjustment! :D

Doody free! Well, I'm not sure how that all works, or if you get a USA model, but with a camera this complex I'd make sure you had a USA warranty as there has been a few issues with these body's. There are NO discounts on this body to be had at the moment, in fact they are difficult to find. Nikon has not been able to keep up with production, and the camera was available last November.

I found a dealer on Ebay that was authorized brick and morter USA with good feedback, and was somewhat Lucky to get the body, and an extended 2 year Nikon waranty for $1699. They are starting to settle down in price, but a lot of dealers are still charging over that price for the body only.

Awesome pictures!! I just bought the D200 and am in the process of getting a housing, probably Ikelite. What lens were you using to get these pictures? Now I can't wait to get wet and take pictures. SEND MORE PICTURES.

Mike

Dive Guy:
Awesome pictures!! I just bought the D200 and am in the process of getting a housing, probably Ikelite. What lens were you using to get these pictures? Now I can't wait to get wet and take pictures. SEND MORE PICTURES.

Mike

I shot those with a 60mm -

I shot these with a 17-70 zoom lens.

http://flickr.com/photos/92464867@N00/

catherine96821:

I went with the Aquatica housing for my D200. Just got it in last week and finally added to my flood policy, so it's getting wet this weekend! But for now, here's what it looks like.

aquatica-d200-01.jpg

aquatica-d200-02.jpg

aquatica-d200-03.jpg

Nice stuff, Howard. Hmmm. Maybe if I shoot student shots in open water classes I can deduct the camera and housing from my taxes? What's $5K anyway. Oops, forgot the extra lenses and ports. Oh,well, dream on!

howarde, I can't believe I missed your thread. GREAT shots! I don't have the dial button problems Catherine has had and I've had my housing past 190'. I like my Ike and especially the price...:D

Excellent job, Howard!

catherine96821:
:confused:
The very thought of putting my D2H in one of those scares the hell out of me. I think I'll wait until I have an extra few thousand in my pocket and buy a real housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom