My sons first pool session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveDog

Contributor
Reaction score
My 14 year old son did his first class room/pool session last night. They just did the swim test. All went well. I'll have another dive buddy this summer.

Dave

That's awesome. I can't wait until my son is old enough. He is only 15months old, so I have a ways to go yet. I don't want him to grow too fast, but sure want him to be my dive buddy.

With the way family life and relationships have eroded in the past 20 years (they used to call them "latch-key kids"), I applaud you for spending time with your boy. As a boy, my dad worked all the time, so we never spent much time together. I won't let that be the case with my son. Spending time and teaching him... Man, that's awesome. Way to go!

DaveDog:
My 14 year old son did his first class room/pool session last night. They just did the swim test. All went well. I'll have another dive buddy this summer.

Dave
That's great, to have your son join you in the water. It might be a long time before he will qualify fully as a buddy to help you in an emergency, tho. He's still a kid.

Some may disagree with me here. When I was 14, I could do a man's work, plowing fields, loading and trucking cattle alone, even wrote the checks under special agreement with the bank, but then - that was work, and over 40 years ago.

I guess it would depend on the teen. I have dived with an 18 yo Inst whom I trusted a lot more than myself.

It is great to be able to dive with family. My wife, daughter and son-in-law are all divers and we dive together frequently. In fact, all four of us are headed to Cozumel together next month. What a great family pastime!!!

I remember, though, when my daughter first got certified and I dived with her here in our low-viz lakes. If I lost sight of her for only a few seconds, I would feel an amazing sense of dread. Now they all have around 100 dives logged, their skills and comfort have improved a lot and I worry less.

Good job on allowing your son to learn to dive. I hope he enjoys it as much as we do.

DaveDog:

Its a whole new experience watching your own child explore the underwater world. I have two boys, 15 certified last year and a 17 year old, diving with them makes it a lot more fun.

Congrats!
My son is 14 and said this year he will take the class,not pushing him but would be nice! and then I can get new stuff and give him my kit!

No doubt you will create alot of memories in the future of great past experiences with a very special part of you life...

Its great that your son is getting certified, I'm sure he will finish the rest of the course without a problem. When you guys get a chance you should take a trip to Key Largo and do some diving down there. They have great diving no matter how deep you want to go.

Sean
Divers Direct

DaveDog:

Dave

excellent - another member of the "grow your own buddy program"!

we havent been so sucessful with this program but fortunately my siblings have kids and we already got one in the water for her 12th birthday

every dive at old dive sites are like a new dive for us now, we see so many cool things thru her eyes

enjoy and congrats

I can tell you diving with your kids is a great way to do something as a family. With my hectic work week, the kids school, and everything else that life demands of us, diving together with my two sons is some of the only quality time I get to spend with them. BTW, does wonders for there self esteem, and it also helps keep them straight as they will meet and befriend a higher caliber of people then they would hanging around the street corner. Instructors and LDS personnel become sort of role models for them. My youngest volunteers at our LDS and He braggs about it to everyone he knows. Congrats Dave!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom