My SCUBA Diary - A Lightweight Logbook for Your Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petmal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there!

I have finally finished what started as a solution for my fruitless search for a flexible lightweight dive logbook.
Some of us require advanced functions and exhaustive records others prefer fewer fields and simpler interface… I had difficulty finding a simple enough logbook interfacing with multiple different dive computer models and providing me with comprehensive search and statistical features … so, I wrote one…

Of course, it took significantly longer than first expected (as it always does), but here it is and having devoted so much time and effort into it I decided to make it available for all of you.

My SCUBA Diary - A Lightweight Logbook for Your Dives

My SCUBA Diary is completely free and open source. I hope some of you may find it useful and if so I will be immensely happy. If you have any comments, suggestions or would even like to contribute to this little thingy, please feel warmly welcome.

Wishing you all many safe and enjoyable dives!

Petr :p

P.S.
Consider this an initial release (AKA "works on my machine"). Feel free to use our issue tracker...

I just pushed up a bunch of fixes to the initial release (1.0). The changes in version 1.1 are summarized below.

Most importantly:
- Invalid data in Suunto DM3 logbook database should no longer cause the entire import to crash.
- Fixed an issue with dive downloads when running 32-bit My SCUBA Diary on 64-bit JVM.

Version 1.1

+ Fixed a crash in dive download when running 32-bit My SCUBA Diary on 64-bit JVM. The application now chooses the appropriate native libraries automatically.
+ Improved handling of zero volume cylinders in DM3 imports. Such cylinders are now omitted and no longer cause import failure.
+ Improved handling of invalid data in DM3 imports. Invalid data in one dive no longer fail the whole import operation but rather result in the application skipping that particular dive.
+ Added Letter page size.
+ Minor fixes in error reporting.

Version: 1.0

+ Initial release.

Hello.

Some people were having troubles connecting their devices to My SCUBA Diary via infra-red interfaces. I have made some improvements around IrDA support and updated to the current version of 'libdivecomputer' which includes many fixes and support for new devices.

I appreciate any feedback.

Petr

Version 1.2

+ Windows versions updated to the latest 'libdivecomputer' library which includes many fixes and support for new devices.
+ Fixed handling of infra-red connections.
+ Improved device connection dialog which no longer requires port for devices with IrDA interfaces.
+ Added an 'advanced' version of the device connection dialog which allows for user defined port, device vendor and device name.

Sorry to diverge from this (so far) single-handed pean to technology and the priesthood of code writing, but...

As we progress in SCUBA, we quickly forget some of the most puzzling parts that troubled us when we began. The point-by-point logging of dives, if one were to record very certain specific (and simple) details, would obviate any number of redundant queries on social media (SB, etc).

If a diver is encouraged to always make a record of "thermal protection used/effectiveness" and "weight used", the singular true answer to what kind of wetsuit and how much weight would be relegated to individual historic experience- just where it belongs.

And here you are yourself, trying to muddle through that universal problem: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/374642-ideal-wetsuit-maldives.html#post5793215 Just three short years ago.

Simply deferring the recording of these parameters to a user variable "dive notes" section is not a solution.

I appreciate all of the technical parameters you want to shovel into the record through hardware and software interfaces, but not allowing for the recording of the simple & critical basic learning points for newer divers makes your process a delusionary misstep for the beginning diver.

You do want them to adopt you Logbook at Dive #1, right?

Let me know when it supports Oceanic PP3 and I'll try it.

Hello.

Turns out there was a leftover bug causing application crash when initiating an infra-red connection.
That has been now fixed!

Enjoy!

Version 1.3

+ Fixed crash occurring when downloading from an IrDA device.
+ Fixed quotes in text strings.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2015 at 12:04 AM ----------

Let me know when it supports Oceanic PP3 and I'll try it.

Oceanic Pro Plus 3 is on the list. You are warmly invited to give it a try. :)

P.

Hi, all!

After a while a bunch of really good news.
We have finally managed to chase down several issues causing crashes when downloading dives from certain dive computers (often seen in Uwatec models).
Current version 1.5 also adds support for more profile events.

If you were experiencing application crashes when downloading data (often Uwatec models over infra-red and/or computers without pressure data) try this version!

Thanks for your help and support! :)
Petr

Version 1.5

+ Fixed crash occurring when downloading from certain computers (e.g. Uwatec Aladin 2G).
+ Added support for more dive profile events (alarms, warnings etc).
+ Improved error reporting - include more information on errors in the native libraries.

Version 1.4​

+ Fixed crash occurring when downloading from a device which does not report used gas mix.
+ Fixed crash on invalid dive profile points.
+ Improved error reporting - include more information on encountered invalid data.​
+ Added 32-bit version of the Linux native library.

Hello!

I recently released several new versions of the logbook.
The changes include:

Version 1.8

+ Support for imports from Suunto Dive Manager 4/5 backups.

Version 1.7
+ Fixes to downloads from computers that do not record temperature data.

Version 1.6
+ Significant improvement of dive import performance.

Enjoy. :p

Hi!

A bunch of new updates to My SCUBA Diary in the recent months.

The recent change (2.3) introduced a new in-line 'quick search' feature to the logbook and gear repositories.

The logbook can be now easily filtered by typing into the search field at the bottom.
This filter also accepts special tags including (example using metric units):

+deco => only decompression dives
-deco => only no-decompression dives
+/-30m => only dives deeper/shallower than 30m
+/-15min => only dives longer/shorter than 15min
+/-yyyy-mm => only dives after/before a given date

The other changes include:

Version 2.3
+ Added quick search to dive list and gear repository lists.

Version 2.2
+ Fixed intermittent data conversion error when importing from DM4/DM5 databases.

Version 2.1
+ Fixed import of cylinder and gas data from Suunto Dive Manager 3.
+ Minor fixes and improvements.

Version 1.10
+ Fixed import of dives without pressure data from Suunto Dive Manager 3.
+ Minor fixes in update reporting.

Version 1.9
+ Improved error messages on download errors.

Enjoy! :):p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom