My scary C02 incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whats "not right" about the bcd? what actually makes you uncomfy or bothered by the setup?

knowing what you dont like helps target gear that is right for you

cheers

The rental bcds that I have used so far have the air bladders upfront which made gearing up independently a bit difficult. Also I had a hard time finding the alternate second stage when I needed to reattach it to it's rubber ring.

I went to the shop the other day and had the drysuit on while trying out a few bcds. I like the backplate wing setup as I had more mobility in front. It was quite a bit easier for me to gear up by myself. I still needed a bit of help but not to the extent when I was using the rental bcds.

I am eying the Zeagel Scout. I will try it out in the ocean and see how it goes. I think it will go well.

you just mentioned the 2 things that i use and moving too

LOVE my zeagle - great product that im only thinking of replacing as ive lost 100lbs and its too big for me now

thinking of going BWP as it offers less 'stuff' (for lack of better word) so i dont feel so cluttered and the pricing on these things is great

im not a fan of the inflator hose/occy but hubby does so each their own - maybe something you can tryout

goodluck!

Good advice here regarding gear checks, role of buddy and importance of establishing proper buoyancy. 2 weeks ago I was in Key Largo getting ready for a dive. My dive buddy, the DM, was first one in and waiting near the bottom for me. I did a final gear check & realized my LP hose wasn't connected to my B.C. Bottom line is that ulitimately we are responsible for our own gear & safety.

One item not mentioned here is the low air situation. 300 psi is not time to head for the surface. As a general rule I consider 1000 psi the time to start heading back and to always be on surface with at least 500 psi. This is especially the case is you are having gear problems. Better yet - abort the dive and get the problem fixed.

Steve

to add to Steve's PSI point.... i was diving with a canuck SB'er a few weeks ago using PSI while down here we use BAR.

though we were 'only' at Shelly :wink: he was tapping his console and showing me when he was down to 500psi (he had a great time though)

what i will do for my next SB'er is print off a psi/bar chart so i will know the conversion before i get in the water next time

Back
Top Bottom