My Rix SA-6 Diesel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really haven't messed much with mine since I originally set it up but I think it will soon be time for a re-build. I have played with the nitrox stick some.

I ran about 800cf through mine this morning with the new belts. It ran just as it always does. I left the cover off and the belts vibrate a good bit. Tom suggested that I lower the rpm's a little. Going to try that next time.

Any other suggestions are welcome. They vibrate probably a good inch in either direction. It wobbles and is ok, then wobbles again. I can see the vibration come and go... in and out like. Does that make sense?

Pulleys look fine, alignment looks good.

Make sure motor and or pump bolts are tite to the base.... a small automobile idler pulley will help especially if the belts are long between centers. Usually it needs to be on the slack side of belt...

I have used auto tensioner in the past...
But usually the pulley is not wide enough for 2 vee belts

Make sure motor and or pump bolts are tite to the base.... a small automobile idler pulley will help especially if the belts are long between centers. Usually it needs to be on the slack side of belt...

I have used auto tensioner in the past...
But usually the pulley is not wide enough for 2 vee belts

I don't know what's considered "long" between centers. This might be 2' or less. It really shouldn't need an idler pulley, at least I don't think. There is something resonating to cause the belts to wobble.

One of the rubber feet is busted, but I have it on a dolley, I don't think that's it either... It feels like an engine... vibrates, gets smooth, vibrates, gerts smooth... Idk. I would be ok with a little wobble, but this is more than I like tbh.

2 ft I would say is long ish... depending on pulley diameter...
more hp through the belt more slack it will make...
Rpm adjustment might help... up or down.
But those 1 cylinder deisels are not smooth or quiet.... (but I love them, always start and good on fuel, I love colored diesel)
Yes I have had similar problems with belt harmonics..... my compressor if I run it with electric motor its smooth as silk.... install the gas motor and it vibrates and belt does funny things.. I run a gates kevlar belt on mine... because the idler pulley is the tensioner....
Part of the harmonics is when engine vibrations and compressor vibrations match and cancel each other...

2 ft I would say is long ish... depending on pulley diameter...
more hp through the belt more slack it will make...
Rpm adjustment might help... up or down.
But those 1 cylinder deisels are not smooth or quiet.... (but I love them, always start and good on fuel, I love colored diesel)
Yes I have had similar problems with belt harmonics..... my compressor if I run it with electric motor its smooth as silk.... install the gas motor and it vibrates and belt does funny things.. I run a gates kevlar belt on mine... because the idler pulley is the tensioner....
Part of the harmonics is when engine vibrations and compressor vibrations match and cancel each other...

I'm not next to the unit.. 2' was a guess, but I don't think it's 2... maybe closer to 18"?

I do love the 1cyl diesel. It sat for a while and I had to clean it a little to get it going, but once I did look out. The motor runs great (but like you said... not smooth or quiet). The videos that I've seen of the Rix (where I can see the belt) have all been electric and it look smooth as anything. Maybe something is resonating from the engine..

Just to be clear... I don't have a rix. But that is my experience wih a bauer...
I am sure it's coming from the eng....
Keep the belts as tite as you can.
Remember it's a 1 cylinder. 1 power stroke every 2 revolutions...... 2 Cylinder eng will be better
Electric is smooth because of all the poles it has in one revolution....

Just to be clear... I don't have a rix. But that is my experience wih a bauer...
I am sure it's coming from the eng....
Keep the belts as tite as you can.
Remember it's a 1 cylinder. 1 power stroke every 2 revolutions...... 2 Cylinder eng will be better
Electric is smooth because of all the poles it has in one revolution....

Thank you for your insight. This is my 1st compressor, and I don't know what I don't know. I have enough knowledge in small engines but zero with hp compressors.

Interesting fact, when the old belts flipped on my last time pumping with them I didn't notice right away. For the last 10 min I couldn't figure out why things looked so smooth, well that belts had flipped and were super tight and there was zero play in them at all. I feel like I got the new belts pretty tight, but maybe they need to be more...

It wobbles and is ok, then wobbles again. I can see the vibration come and go... in and out like. Does that make sense?
Pulleys look fine, alignment looks good.

The forum has been showing error for the last few weeks getting onto the threads. Is it broke? Either that or I've been banned again.

For your described vibration. I would suspect the following
1. You have a counter weight fitted upside down on the crankshaft fan end
2. Or you have it missing on the fan end
3. Or you have a single belt and no counterweight fitted flywheel side of fan side either either or both
4. Or you have the new dual belt flywheel as well as an old 2nd counterweight fitted when you shouldnt
5. Or you or someone else has fitted a dual off the shelf drive pulley with no 19mm (3/4") balancing holes

so thats about it for the counter weight options

Next culprit is the swash plate thrust rider is out of alighnment front end fans side
Turn the power off, Take the shroud off, rotate the pump by hand at the fan and look carefully at the
blue spring on the thrust rider assembly. It should first be under constant tension 19mm (3/4") measure it
and more importlanly not move in or out as you slowly turn the fan by hand. Neither should the thrust rider bar move against the 3/8 silver coloured rod bolt.

Check this out and report back Photos would help.

While you are there grab the swash plate wobble plate bearing that attaches the three pistons to the rod end bearings and yank it about your looking for excessive bearing play. Its a C3 clearence there will be some play but not much its a judgement call.

If you have the correct dual solid pulley with four (4) 3/4" holes (cant remenber the PCD) check that that has the holes drilled right side up.

There is a drawing in the manual that shows both the counterweight fan side and flywheel with holes in corrected position when the1st stage piston is fully down the bore.

If I knew how to post a picture I would. Iain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom