My Rant About Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright so here it is. When we moved to Florida seven years ago we used to enjoy going to Key Largo whenever we could. Since it is only a three hour drive sometimes we would just go overnight. As time went on it became harder to get one night because everyone wanted a mininum two night stay. Soon after that the same places wanted a minimum three night stay. Now I've even encountered a minimum four nights on occasion. The stange this is some of my favorite places to stay in the past are now actually kind of rude if you ask for less than the minimum. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they would want it but there has to be some places left that realize there is big business in catering to local divers who just want to do a weekend trip. Not only that, I can remember just a couple years ago when you could get a no frills room at a resort for $59.00 a night. It seems like now it is always well over $100.00. Is business really that good that they can be so choosy? Since having our daughter we can't go as much as we used to so I ask that last question in earnest, not as a slam to anyone. If you know any places that don't have a minimum stay (preferably one of the resorts with some charcoal grills) maybe we could start a list for the local Florida folks who would like a quick get away on the weekends. It would save a lot of phone calls.

This is not a resort, but I have stayed here a few times. It is not nearly as nice as, say, the Marriot, but the two times I stayed at the Bayside it was clean. there was no minimum stay. A side benefit is that it is right next to an open air restraunt on the water. If you are looking for a place that you can spend many relaxing hours, this is probalby not it. But if you are looking for a clean place with a pool and a view of the water after a full day of diving, I have found this place to be acceptable.....

Key Largo Hotels, Hotel in key largo, Bayside Inn Key Largo, dive florida coral reefs

Iv'e stayed there before and liked it. It just seems like the prices have really gone up a lot. In fact it is just what I'm looking for. When I'm in Key Largo the Marriott is the last place I want to stay. Let's face it when you are there to dive you need a bed, a shower, (maybe a little fridge) and a toilet. We are thinking about doing something with a number of family members in the spring so in that case, a resort where everyone has their own space would be nice.

Ed and Ellens, Hungry Pelican (but they do have a minimum stay on holidays), Suites of Key Largo (now knows as Key West Inn)

If you paid property taxes and insurance in Keys, I doubt you would feel that rates in the $100 range would be too high.

Alright so here it is. When we moved to Florida seven years ago we used to enjoy going to Key Largo whenever we could. Since it is only a three hour drive sometimes we would just go overnight. As time went on it became harder to get one night because everyone wanted a minimum two night stay. Soon after that the same places wanted a minimum three night stay. Now I've even encountered a minimum four nights on occasion. The strange this is some of my favorite places to stay in the past are now actually kind of rude if you ask for less than the minimum. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they would want it but there has to be some places left that realize there is big business in catering to local divers who just want to do a weekend trip. Not only that, I can remember just a couple years ago when you could get a no frills room at a resort for $59.00 a night. It seems like now it is always well over $100.00. Is business really that good that they can be so choosy? Since having our daughter we can't go as much as we used to so I ask that last question in earnest, not as a slam to anyone. If you know any places that don't have a minimum stay (preferably one of the resorts with some charcoal grills) maybe we could start a list for the local Florida folks who would like a quick get away on the weekends. It would save a lot of phone calls.

I'd add a lament that many of the old campgrounds are now GONE. Back in the day, that was the ONLY way I could afford a Keys dive trip.

Also here in the Keys a mandatory City Water/Sewer system has been placed on all businesses and residents. This is very expensive to have put in. Than once put in your water bill triples. This seems to be a no win situation here. Between the taxes, insurance and now water that has hit the residents here in the Keys for the past 5 years it's very hard to keep the cost down. My guess is that these places you are finding here under 100 a night will go up as soon as it's there turn to have the city water/sewer lines put in.
I'm sorry for the bad news.

A lot of the old mom and pop motels were paid off and made money with the low rates. They were sold at a healthy profit and resold at a healthy profit. They are now high dollar real estate with the accompanying mortgage and taxes on that valuable little piece of paradise.

I can remember $25 a night rooms at mom and pop motels in the 70's and 80's. Bud was $1.25 a six pack, It's now $5 a six pack. Rooms are about $100, an inflation factor of 4 on both counts, seems about right.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom