My pieced together vintage setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRed96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thought I would throw up a couple of pics of my loosely assembled doubles setup. I have the other band and all the hardware. Just wanted to get an idea how it would look. The tanks are steel 72s that I stripped and recounted with Gavilite. They were born in ‘64 and ‘66. The backplate I cut on my cnc plasma machine. Currently waiting on a tank whip to arrive to finish cleaning out the tanks. Then I’ll VIS them and they’ll be ready to dive. The only component I’m missing is a doubles wing. I’m looking for a good used one.
60357ADA-AFAE-48E6-93BE-7AFF8C9AE6E6.jpeg
AD88EA75-2249-4156-B5DD-5A659FCCD849.jpeg
3CF31868-4B9F-42CF-B487-9A081028A62F.jpeg

Those tanks are probably around 4-6 pounds each in water, filled. 72s aren't that heavy. Add on the manifold, reg.....your 30# wing is probably fine...but I suppose it is too narrow?

Looks good to me. (I was a bit concerned when I looked closely at your first pic, since your manifold was facing the wrong direction. But, you had things sorted out in the next pictures.)

Do you think those bolt heads will be uncomfortable resting in the center of your back? Or be too rough on your exposure suit?

One thing: I cross my harness behind my head. This makes things a bit more stable, and also helps keep the can low, between my shoulder blades, for better DH performance.

Question: What are those SS-looking rings on your harness?

ETA: Here is a recent thread describing my attempt at this: Baby Doubles for Double Hose Reg.

rx7diver

For me full 7mm semi-dry... twin 72s are still quite negative... but I think 30lb lift should be enough. 40lb be nice,

I worry about just having one set of bands, up pretty high on the tanks. Does that keep the tanks rigid enough to keep them from flexing the manifold?

I have modified these nuts to make a more flush nut.... drill the plate holes a bit oversize, and you can leave the tanks studs short...
Are abit of a pain to tighten...

Attachments

• 81l+rZthglL._SX522_.jpg
    81l+rZthglL._SX522_.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 40
Looks good to me. (I was a bit concerned when I looked closely at your first pic, since your manifold was facing the wrong direction. But, you had things sorted out in the next pictures.)

Do you think those bolt heads will be uncomfortable resting in the center of your back? Or be too rough on your exposure suit?

One thing: I cross my harness behind my head. This makes things a bit more stable, and also helps keep the can low, between my shoulder blades, for better DH performance.

Question: What are those SS-looking rings on your harness?

ETA: Here is a recent thread describing my attempt at this: Baby Doubles for Double Hose Reg.

rx7diver
Yes Sir, I plan on replacing the hex bolts with carriage bolts to make it a bit more comfortable. Lol, yeah, I had the manifold backwards for a couple of pics. I though, “someone will notice that on the forum.” I meant to put a different picture but have been drinking a bit of Vodka and am not of the clearest mind currently. Lol
For me full 7mm semi-dry... twin 72s are still quite negative... but I think 30lb lift should be enough. 40lb be nice,
I was thinking about looking for a 45# wing.
I worry about just having one set of bands, up pretty high on the tanks. Does that keep the tanks rigid enough to keep them from flexing the manifold?
Yes Sir, I have two bands. Just threw one set on so I could get an idea of what they will look like assembled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom