My next dive is from my yak!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that is an interesting technique, rolling the kayak to get the SCUBA back in, hmmmmm, well, I guess that could work. I do not have a lot of sea kayaking experience, in fact none. However, I have a lot of SOT kayak experience, fishing, skin diving and SCUBA diving, I do not think I have seen anyone do that. I bought a new OK Tetra for my wife this week and was rigging it last night, it could carry SCUBA but I am setting it up just for her to follow me.

My OK Scupper Pro TW I stow my fins, mask and other such items in the forward hatch or rarely under the forward deck bungee (tied through with a tether). On my OK Scrambler I have the mask, fins etc. under a piece of webbing with a snap buckle. Opening the main hatch is always dangerous at sea so I am very careful at that. On my Scupper I have carried a second tank in the forward hatch and switched out at sea, but have not done that in several years.

I have various tethers, most with a shock cord in them (I made them) using surgical tubing, that I tie my SCUBA and I tether everything, on or off the kayak. I keep my wing partially inflated while in the yak tank well. I flip it over the side and doff and don my gear in the water. Re-entry, I doff my gear and snap it to the stern tether. Still with my fins on and mask pulled down on my neck, I reach over to the far gunwale and with a strong scissor kick re-enter the yak facing rearward and a leg (with fins) hanging off each side to steady me. I grab the stern tether (which is secured right behind the seat well) and drag my gear to me and then pull it into the tank well. Secure it then with the two snap buckles and webbing and make everything seaworthy. I then flip around, stow my fins and mask forward either in the forward hatch or under bungee or the webbing and secure with a safety tether.

For tanks, I use very little air so I usually have an aluminum 63, or I will use an 80, I have used steel 72s. I have my warm water SCUBA rig, wing/BP, weight integrated. I usually remove the weights (though not always) while in the water and toss them into the seat. If I loose them, oh well. I may have a spare set aboard if making multiple dives. Did I mention warm water, I have not kayak dived in anything more than a pair of shorts, rash guard or a light neoprene top.

Future Beach, not familiar with them. That is a good size, 13 feet, looks good. My Scrambler is an 11 (11'6") and my Scupper is 15 feet. Well, anyways, good luck, have fun.

N

I used an old steel 72 when I started rigging a kayak. Putting it on and off several times is a lot harder than one paddle out and do one dive and return. Then, when I switched to an LP 95 it was not so bad (less repetition to figure it out). No telling the horror if I tried the Faber MP 120, perhaps if I used it as a temporary boat anchor and swam down to put it on...

Anyway it could be worse, we could be old and not diving.

Bob

Bob what do you think of floating the kit under an over turned yak and tying it down before rolling it over? I'm thinking I may go both ways with this idea. Exit yak, turn yak over, release tethered, inflated kit, right yak, don kit, dive.

Nemrod thanks for the ideas. I've always been an out of the box thinker; sometimes it works sometimes not so much. One of the more simple ideas related to camping was to pack a propane torch head. I / we had propane bottles for the stoves but often the wood was wet and hard to start a decent campfire, not with the torch head! We were out there to have fun, fishing drinking, sitting round the camp fire drinking, laying on air mattresses drinking, I'm sure you get the idea. We weren't there to test our survival skills. :)

Last edited:
I have a sit on top kayak and I haven't tried the "AfterDark roll" on purpose yet. As long as you don't loose anything with the maneuver, it sounds like a unique solution that would work. Like a lot of jobs, it's about technique. Make it work and you can chuckle at the folks that show up to rescue you.

Bob

My latest entry in my diving log:

8-20-16 No diving: spent 4 hours today at Beach Pond, a nearby pond learning how to use a FutureBeach Angler160 a 13’ 4" sit-on-top kayak as a diving platform. It was a very rewarding, successful but exhausting afternoon. First I tipped over the yak in shallow water with only a paddle without any gear. I got it righted easily but didn’t make it back in until the 2nd attempt. I did that a few more times until I got it down where I could do it almost without effort. The more flat in the water I got before starting to push down on the gunwale the easier it got. Having that skill learned, I spend about an hour in the 90+F heat with 80+% humidity to get my gear loaded and secured (?) on the yak. I took it in shallow water tipped it over and found my kit floating on its tether, it had not been as secured as I would have liked. After getting it re-configured with line instead of the yak bungees it was off to deeper water (10FFW) to overturn, righted and re-enter with my FarmerJohn bottoms on no fins. No problem did it 2x’s. I purposely flooded the forward compartment almost sunk it with all my gear on board but was able to keep it high enough in the water to pump it out enough to swim it back to shore after donning my mask, snorkel and fins.

Then after a short break I went back out anchored, deployed the dive flag, donned my top and hood as well as my fins and mask/snorkel. Then got the kit deployed and slid into the water. I was able to don my BP/W harness even though I had my HP hose and console between my back and BP. The 2nd try was the gold and I was ready to dive. That however was not the plan. After removing my kit I re-entered and with a lot of trouble got my kit back in the well falling off the yak in the process but the kit was in the well! This worked out because rigging it was easier in the water with fins on. Re-entered, retrieved the flag and anchor and paddled back.

I'm working on a way to get the kit back into the well while still in the water. Thinking of using my paddle and rope to make a sling I can use to step up with the kit and dump it into the well. Maybe this Tuesday I'll try something too tired this weekend!

My wife rolls her eyes when I mention diving from our kayaks. We have a FeelFree Moken 10 Lite and a Perception Pescador 120 that I think would be pretty good dive platforms. They already have vertical rod holders for posting dive flags. I'd love to see anyone's loaded kayak pics if they get a chance. Good luck sorting your process out.

I am getting a couple of yaks ready for a fishing trip but this is an opportunity to show how I mount my dive flags. I have a Scotty rail mount on the bow rail of my Boston Whaler and mount my dive flag using the same Scotty oar lock adapters.

IMG_2655_zps5qq6vkn5.jpg

IMG_2654_zpspkdlrc4k.jpg

IMG_2653_zpsqshrlujf.jpg

IMG_2651_zpshysgbbkh.jpg

IMG_2648_zpshy73rcyg.jpg

I do not use the rocket launcher type rod holders for the dive flag as they do not hold the flag vertical enough for my tastes. The Scotty mounts provide a much cleaner and better presentation. They also hold the fishing rods more secure and higher above the water (less spray on them). The mounts have a closed bottom so they do not leak water into the interior.

Early on I used a separate dive float so I could use the smaller flag but in the end it proved not so good. One more item to carry and deploy and recover and the flag is too small and cannot always be seen if it drifts behind the yak. And, if towing/drifting with the yak, just another thing in the water to add drag. I would attach it to a stern line.

The red kayak is brand new, I do not intend to use it for diving at this point. Thus I plan to retain the bungee in the tank well. My Scupper, Emotion and Scrambler can be fitted with either bungee or straps with click buckles in the tank well. The Scrambler not present, is my main dive yak, the Scupper I save for major undertakings, fast, seaworthy and 15 feet long. My Scupper some years back after a spearfishing trip in Destin. I was free diving. I paddled out to the bridge rubble. I also hit the tanks. You can see if you look carefully that my flag is a float and you can see the yellow stern line.

DSCF0038-4.jpg

N

Last edited:
Dive 2059 8-27-16 Price’s neck Newport RI- First dive from a yak. A beautiful sunny day, light ENE winds, almost flat calm, no white caps, small rollers, a perfect day! Saw plenty of divers some were speros on yaks others shore diving. Got the yak loaded and me geared up; launched the yak and after a short paddle I was floating in front of the concrete abutment that was the base for the gun emplacements. After about 15 min. to finish gearing up and anchoring the yak I slipped off the yak and into 70F clear New England water. The “AfterDark roll” works great to remove the kit from the yak. Got my kit on, checked that everything was secured, rolled the yak back upright.

The water was about 10’ deep where I anchored; the bottom was visible from my seat in the yak. The vis was easily 15’ until going pass 20fsw where it was reduced to about 8’. Max depth I found was 30FSW this was west of the point. The surge was surprisingly strong so I didn’t go to the outside of the point figuring the vis would be worse there; the depth at the point I would guess may go to 40FSW. The rollers picked up a little during the dive and the surge got stronger especially in the shallows where I looked in vain for 20MM or 40MM shells. The bottom is gorgeous, huge rocks form what is almost a wall running parallel to the point, that is N > S, swimming in a straight line was very difficult unless one wanted to get within a few feet of the surface and then go back down. I did a lot of zig zagging. There were carpets of loose seaweed covering the bottom in spots, mostly in the shallows, that moved with the motion of the surge. Fish were everywhere, small fish, larger fish, togs, stripers, scup, black sea bass, cunners, small fish that looked native, nothing that looked tropical. After 70 mins and a max depth of 30 FSW I decided to end the dive with 900psi remaining. I tried the “AfterDark roll” to get the kit back in the well, much to my disappointment I couldn’t get it to work. The problem was when I tried to get the line in place the kit would float out from underneath the yak. I need a third hand (or a buddy) to hold the kit in place; looks like another learning trip to Beach Pond is in the works. I think if I put the lines thru the holes in the sides of my B/P I may be able to use one hand to set the lines holding the kit with the other; we’ll see. After 3 attempts to get the damned kit in the yak upright I finally did it and didn’t fall out this time! I headed back letting the wind take me back paddling just enough to keep the yak straight.

All in all it was a nice dive in a place I’ve never dived before on a rare day from a kayak for the 1st time. Now who says an old sea dog can’t learn new tricks! That reminds me, I think a sidemount kit would work really well from a yak.

Nice report.

This video is probably not of any use to you guys but it is close to how I do it, not exactly but close. The fellow has several useful videos.If you have not seen them check them out, might be helpful as a data point.

The hard part to me is getting the kayak to and from the water and on and off my truck or Jeep by myself, once on the water I have not had too much issue.

N

That's how I've had to do it, my rig is much heavier than his. Mine has a SS B/P a 48lbs steel tank a 19cuft pony bottle and 2 old SP MkV regulators; chromed forged bass regulators. The thing tries to pull me into the water!

That's how I've had to do it, my rig is much heavier than his. Mine has a SS B/P a 48lbs steel tank a 19cuft pony bottle and 2 old SP MkV regulators; chromed forged bass regulators. The thing tries to pull me into the water!

Yes, I was wondering about that, your rig. Most of my yak diving has been minimal exposure gear needed, essentially bathing suit diving. I have done a few of the nearer lakes which have COLD water and no shore access via yak and did have to wear heavy exposure gear but 90% of my experience kayak diving has been warm water, very light gear. Also usually not deeper than 60 feet or less with again a few exceptions. Therefore, I know what the PADI Rule Book says and the SCUBA Police say, but I am a rule breaker. Simplification and minimal equipment is a requirement. My kayak diving rig has evolved but it is:

1. Wing/BP based (a simple standard BC will work). The BP needs to be small and light.
2. No crotch strap.
3. Weight integrated (though a belt can work too).
4. A simple, RUGGED, single hose regulator with only one second stage, the Conshelf XIV is perfect. The hose is a 26 inch (over shoulder) or a 40 inch (under shoulder) and I find the over shoulder best.
5. A SPG or even just a J valve.
6. Oral wing inflation, no power inflator.

I usually have the weights in the pockets for deployment when I set the gear up and put the rig into the kayak (rigging up on shore). That way for donning I get in the water and usually just pull the rig into the water or I might toss it in first and then get in the water but in any case I put the gear on in the water. But for doffing the gear I remove the weights and toss them into the boat first off, doff the gear and tether it off. I either get in the boat and drag it in or hoist it in while in the water still.

I have become frustrated fooling with multiple hoses, straps, clips, belts and encumbrances, the less of all that the better.

My favorite kayak diving regulator is a Conshelf XIV second on an older 3000 psi service integrated yoke USD Calypso first with built in J valve. It does not have LP ports (I could add a splitter) and only one HP port. It is rugged, reliable, can take a beating getting drug through sand and bashed about. It has a standard 26 inch (or so) rubber hose LP hose for the second stage.

N

Thinking about bathing suits and scuba tank; I believe I've used just a bathing suit scuba diving in the pool during classes in 1968 and then on the handful of dives I made in Aruba 1999 other than that it's 7MM Farmer John wetsuits or drysuits.

The water is going to go thru a big change this week; as the storm passes us by to the East it will push cold water in from deep off shore, the vis will be "ruined" that is zero for a while after it passes.

I'm thinking any dive 40FSW or less I may do with a 50' hose, leave the tank(s) on the yak, and use my lungs for a BC device. I'm going to try the "AfterDark roll" once more with the lines thru the holes in the sides of my b/p.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom