My new semi vintage rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all

I hate bubbles..always have. Sometimes I wear a hood when I don't need to just to cut down on the din.
And they don't help at all when photographing small timid fish!
Did a lot of research on rebreathers recently and nearly went down that path..but it's a rapidly developing field (reminds me of the earlier days of digital cameras) and I have a feeling that it's better to keep an eye on it for a while before committing lot's of time and big bucks.
What to do meantime, it came to me in a blinding flash (actually more of a dull cerebral glow) that a double hose rig would be better for photography and quieter overall.
So I've been lurking, researching, privately emailing and have now purchased a very late model, fully serviced Royal Aqua-master from Bryan at Vintage Double Hoses.
My intent is not necessarily to go "vintage" but rather to have the best breathing, practical double hose rig.

My travel rig will be:
The RAM mounted on whatever rental ally tank is available with a multi-port adapter for BCD and an egress octopus. A banjo will be used for a SPG.

The BCD is a DSS Kydex BP witha 20lb wing and hog harness. This will keep the tank very close to my back and I will mount the tank low with 4 lb weight pockets on the upper tank strap for trim.

Questions:
Are there any issues with using Nitrox 32% with a newly serviced RAM using all new seals etc?
Can this reg be fitted with a Pheonix first stage later if these become available again?
I'll test my rig and practice hose clearing in a pool before taking it for a dive, are there any good on-line articles/ guidelines about specific bouble hose skills that I should look at?

Cheers
Col

Hi---I also dive vintage for fun but just as well prefer a double hose for ALL my diving, modern or not.

The USD RAM can be used with Nitrox up to 40%, this is the concensus of those in the know and I trust them.

This is my rig for diving this year, a Hammerhead plate with a Mach V wing (30 pound).

DSCF0250.jpg

I also will be using this new Freedom Plate from www.pacificcoastmarine.net both with the Mach V and with my SeaTec horsecollar BC.

DSCF0287.jpg

The main problem with many BP/wing set ups is that the groove in the plate runs into the cans of the regulator before the tank is low enough to be correct for a double hose. It also cause the upper section of the wing to be pinched.

DSCF0265.jpg

I just about have it all worked out and this new Freedom Plate may be the e-ticket for that problem. The upper cam band also generally falls of the shoulder of the tank unless you cut additional slots like this.

DSCF0269.jpg

You might PM me for one other suggestion I have.

N

Just realised something a little disturbing..there do not appear to be any reproduction or replacement hoses available for US Divers double hose regulators.
I'm not sure I want to be spending a lot of time at 80+ feet breathing through 30 year old rubber hoses!!!!!
Does anyone know where there are any 1/ 1.5 inch replacement hoses (superstretch if possible but otherwise anything new) ??

There are hoses available. Look at www.vintagescubasuppply.com . He also has some new--slight defect--perfectly useable yellow hoses but you must PM Dan at vss about them.

The great news is that Stuart in England has begun releasing his wonderfull, silicone, exact reproduction copies of USD/Voit hoses. I think he has some yellow now, some black and eventually will also release grey and I think he said blue. Anyways, I suggest you email him for details. They cost a bit more than some but they are SILICONE!!!!!, soft, plaible, last forever, fit and look perfect and no smell and worth the price difference. These are the best hoses ever made--period.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/big-game-taxidermy/index.html

If you cannot find any hoses--PM me and I have a set of domestic reproduction hoses for you--new, unused and very nice and very, very suitable for diving. I am not in the buisness of selling my stuff but I realize we are between supplies/suppliers on hoses right now as a community.

N

Thanks Nemrod, those hoses look waaay cool and I'm ordering a set of black ones (the grey was tempting but you can't go wrong with black!)

Properly cared for original hoses can last a long time. I am still using the original hoses on my Aqua Master from 1968 and they still look almost new. Remember, unlike single hose regulators there is only ambient pressure in the hoses.

The problem with mixing different generations of gear in an eclectic fashion is that there are some seeming incompatibilities that become apparent and must be delt with. One of them is that double hose regs must be kept close to the back and the tank as low as reasonably possible. Wing/BPs tend to do just the opposite so it takes some fooling around to get it to work OK. Why not use something other than a wing/BP, well, you can but the wing/BP is a superior system for many people.

You must avoid wings with a center inflator--it will collide with the regulator body--and look for a wing that is narrow and slim especially in the upper section.

Look for a backplate that has a low groove/bend to keep the tank close.

Cut a set of cam band holes lower on the STA like I showed in a pic to allow the tank to be dropped as low as possible. If needed even cut the upper section off the STA leaving just a finger for the attach bolt. Grind the attach bolt heads as low and flat as possible. Pic of ground down attach bolts.

DSCF0259.jpg

The new Freedom Plate will allow the tank to sit lower than a standard BP if the upper camband is just looped under the STA. This BP also because it is curved at the top may allow more room for the wing and regulator to coexist.

Here is a pic showing the two piece STA beside my modified DiveRite STA. The modified STA is thinner stainless and does not weigh very much. You can see that the extra set of slots will allow me to drop the tank height further than I could with the two piece STA set.

DSCF0253.jpg

N

Nemrod

That Freedom plate looks very interesting, but without a channel in the backplate I can't see where the nuts would go to hold the STA on?

I sent an email to the manufacturer enquiring about lowering the camband without an STA as follows:

"I need to be able to mount the tank/ reg low on my back so I need the tank cambands to be lower than usual. Is it possible to cut the upper camband slot a little lower so the tank can be mounted lower without the camband being on the shoulder of the tank.

2. The Razor wing has long camband slots, is there anything to stop the wing sliding up and down on the backplate when it's not attached to a tank?

3. If I chose the 18lb wing would it be OK to cut both the slots a little lower to allow lower mounting of the tank? This would mean the wing was lower on the back..do you think this is a problem (with trim)?

4. Lastly, does the backplate have a block on the lower camband to hold the tank away from the backplate (it looks like it's on an angle)?"

Also,
The top of the backplate looks like it would accommodate a piece of webbing that could go over the top of the upper wing (from the upper harness slot) and hold the top of the wing so that when inflated it would expand to follow the contour of the backplate rather than vertically where it would interfere with the can. Just an idea!

Col

1) I think if your talking about the Freedom Plate you best ask www.pacificcoastmarine.net for those questions as I know he is very clever and developing additional ideas.

2) When using an STA you do not use the slots in the wing. I have never used a wing set up without an STA.The fellow who runs Deep Sea Supply has a sytem for this, no STA and the wing uses some type of small snap grommets to hold it while changing tanks---e-mail him. Perhaps he can help you.

3) I have worried over moving the wing down also and affecting trim--within reason it does not seem to much but actually what you want to do is lower the tank and not the wing--as much.

4) Again, if your talking about the Freedom Plate the one I showed has a new STA design that is still being worked on. The STA has only a small standoff at the top and a longer one at the bottom holding the tank at an angle so that the plate can follow the contour of the body. This places the tank flush to your posterior and still allows the plate to fit snuggly.

I am still working all this out just as your beginning to. You and I are possibly the only two people in the planet that are trying to use double hose regulators with a wing and back plate system, a market of two will not get much notice from the manufactuers. Therefore you must be clever and in some cases improvise and make your own pieces. Where I am at now is light years ahead of where I began three years ago when I decided to return to double hose for ALL my diving. The perfect solution still eludes me but I know it is out there---I am getting close now. Oh, there is no strap on the top as you described but that might be a good idea to experiment with.

N

Back
Top Bottom