My new semi vintage rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess you can add one more to this small fraternity of divers wanting to use a double hose regulator with a BP/W

I really appreciate all the information you have shared - so hopefully I can avoid some of the problems you encountered.

My DA Aquamaster is on its way to Vintage Double Hose for installation of the Phoenix nozzle (I got the last one) - and once it returns, I'm looking forward to diving it.

I'm using a 30# Mach V Extreme, with a variety of Backplates - from a heavy plate of my own design (similar to a Hammerhead) to a plastic Dive Rite (for warm water travel).

I owned a DA Aquamaster after I first got certified in 1969 - so there is a lot of nostalgia - plus getting the bubbles out of my face when taking pictures.

Thanks again for all the information and hopefully I can add some "tricks" once I start using mine.

Welcome then TN Traveler to the Club of Three!

Yes, please report your efforts and pictures as you begin to set it all up. Especially isnce your using a Phoenix this should be interesting for sure. I realize until you actually try to do this some of what I have said may not make any sense but I hope it has helped some.

N

Yes, always good to have company on a quest!!!

Frankly I think there is going to be more interest in double hose regs in the future.
The recent sell off of the stocks of new Mistrals means a lot of people have bought them who probably wouldn't have bothered before!
And does this mean that Aqualung has washed it's hands of double hose regs?..not at all..they will continue to produce and support a limitted run of Mentor's for the USN. In fact I wouldn't be surprised (once all the Mistrals are sold) if the Mentor ends up as an exclusive, and expensive addition to the Aqualung catalogue!

Back to BCD's, looks like I'm going to get the Freedom plate as the shape of the top should allow the tank to be positioned lower than anything else I see out there.

The question remains in the choice of wing!?

Should I get the Oxycheq signature 30lb and ask for the top camband slot in the plate to be cut as low as the the top camband slot on the wing will allow (this wing has long slots). I wouldn't have to use an STA this way.
or
Is the STA an advantage in that it positions the tank 5/16 further away and this might allow the can of the reg to positioned lower without being affected by the wing or plate??????? I have no idea!
If option 2 is true then I'll probably copy Nemrod's choice of a MachV and DR STA.

Nemrod- any thoughts on the above??
Col

I did not realize that any Mach V series wings had slots other than their new "Extreme" series.

Since I just got my Freedom Plate and I am still working to figure out the best set up I would recommend just contacting Pacific Coast directly and speaking with him about your needs. I think it wold be a great set up. Since the Phoenix conversion adds about .5 inch to the length of the regulator assembly the 5/16 additional distance of the Freedom Plate with STA may be benificial.

I know I have caused confusion but the DiveRite STA I cut is being used on the standard Hammerhead, I have not tried yet to adapt it to the Freedom Plate because I want to use the STA he provided with it first. I would like to cut another set of upper slots in it but it is heavier stainless than the DiveRite and I am not sure I can cut it even with my considerable shop. What I did instead was remove the camband from the upper slot and just let it loop under the STA. The bottom camband stays in the provided slot in the STA. This allows me to set it on to the tank where I want it, tighten the lower camband and then adjust the position of the upper one where I want it. It takes me longer to type or say this than it does for me to do it.Like I said, I just got my Freedom Plate and have only just begun with it. I am out of town for the next week or so diving.

Now, I have worked with standard backplates for several years now and with them, I think right now, the DSS plate with a thin stainless Dive Rite single piece STA and the Mach V is pretty low profile. The STA is THIN and does not add much to the tank profile and it is thin enough that I was able to cut and shape it using air powered high speed cutters. I doubt a Dremal tool would have much success with it. It would be possible to again, to route the upper camband UNDER the STA rather than through the upper STA slots and thus position it as needed.

The thing is that with the curved upper section of the Freedom Plate and the no channel design I think ultimately it will allow the best set up--I just don't know exactly what that will be yet. I will tell you, double hose stuff aside, I like this Freedom Plate.

STA vs no STA, I prefer the STA. With the thin, modified STA I am using the tank is just about as low a profile (in and out) as it would be with no STA. As to lowering the tank position (up and down) dispensing with the STA gains nothing, you still have the center channel in a typical standard style backplate running into the regulator body--either way.

I will also say that my Mach V being delievered with NO drain grommets in it and my having to send it back for them to be added which will take three weeks is nice of them to do but also a serious inconvience to me as dive season begins. If you get a Mach V make sure it has the drain grommets installed before you purchase it. It is kinda an expensive purchase to be defective and without the grommets it traps air going down making it diffucult to submerge and water coming out making it awfully heavy. Bummer. I am not happy at all.

N

The Mach V Extreme wing does not have slots for cam bands. It is the same design as the regular Mach V, but with the cut-proof covering. It did come with grommets.

I'm planning on using a Halcyon lightweight STA, that has double slots at the top - since I already have it. It is a little taller than the Dive-Rite. If it proves to set the tank too far off my back, then I'll just have to make a new STA or modify a Dive Rite.

Make that a club of 4.

My set-up is a hammerhead BP with an Oxycheq Singnature wing. I added the diverite STA around Christmas, and because of the large slots in the wing, I use the slots in the backplate for the top cam strap, and the slots in the sta for the lower cam strap. This allows for the tank to be placed lower, but so far I've only played with this setup in the pool. But I didn't have to do any modifications to the STA.

Nemrod, I hope you're bringing your freedom plate with you to SDIV. I read about this last year when it was being developed, but I forgot about it until you posted your pictures. I was really interested in it at the time, but the only price I saw was $500, and at the time I thought it was just for the plate because there was no mention of a wing or harness.

I'll probably never be in the same class as Nemrod or some of the other's who dive double hose regs, but I they will be a permanant part of my bag of diving toys.

No, no, go back and read the website again, not 500 dollars for the plate alone, no.

Yes, I will have the Freedom Plate at SDIV. Now remember that I just got it and I have only played with it a few times but yes I am bringing it along. You can try it out if there is time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll probably never be in the same class as Nemrod or some of the other's who dive double hose regs, but I they will be a permanant part of my bag of diving toys.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gosh, shucks, I am just like you, lost in time and struggling to find my way through a strange and often wonderful world.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom