My new long hose setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
To do what? I can't visualize what you mean.

R..

I use bike inner tube to attach the bolt snap to the SPG. I also used it for a while to attach a snap to my long hose but changed that out to the o-ring. I'll take a pic of both and post it.

With a good yank, I can break it loose if I need to.

awap:
I use bike inner tube to attach the bolt snap to the SPG. I also used it for a while to attach a snap to my long hose but changed that out to the o-ring. I'll take a pic of both and post it.

With a good yank, I can break it loose if I need to.

Ah....

Isn't it awfully loose?

Edit: Come to think of it. I still don't get it. How do you attach the snap the the inner tube? Tie it on?

R..

Diver0001:
Ah....

Isn't it awfully loose?

Edit: Come to think of it. I still don't get it. How do you attach the snap the the inner tube? Tie it on?

R..

It loops around both. I loop it around the snap first (thru the snap and then thru itself). That one is easy. Then around the hose and feed the snap thru the loop of the inner tube. That one takes some stretching and tugging but makes it with the smaller snaps. It ends up pulled fairly tight but can be stretched an inch or 2 if you get too lazy to unsnap for a peek. No tying or cutting of the loop. I use the same loops that I had cut for my webbing. If you are using a larger snap for heavy gloves it probably would not stretch enough to assemble without removing the SPG. I wanted something that would hold tight without sliiding around, not leave a set in to hose, and break away with a serious pull without cutting.

I'll take the pic. Hopefully it will be worth 1000 words.

AquaGuy:

I've used these--they're quick and easy to install and they work fine. Because they're bungies, it's kind of easy to slide them along a hose to get just the position you want. The little tabs are unesthetic, tho.

I think of them as an quick solution and prefer the DIYS knots. I still have one to replace, and I carry a couple on dives (plus spare bolt snaps), "just in case."

awap:
It loops around both. I loop it around the snap first (thru the snap and then thru itself). That one is easy. Then around the hose and feed the snap thru the loop of the inner tube. That one takes some stretching and tugging but makes it with the smaller snaps. It ends up pulled fairly tight but can be stretched an inch or 2 if you get too lazy to unsnap for a peek. No tying or cutting of the loop. I use the same loops that I had cut for my webbing. If you are using a larger snap for heavy gloves it probably would not stretch enough to assemble without removing the SPG. I wanted something that would hold tight without sliiding around, not leave a set in to hose, and break away with a serious pull without cutting.

I'll take the pic. Hopefully it will be worth 1000 words.

Got it now. Thanks. Any reason you can think of that this same technique wouldn't work with a bit of bungie?

R..

TSandM:
I haven't used the bungie clips, but I did notice that you appear to have a quick disconnect on your high pressure hose -- for a Suunto console? You may want to put a bolt snap on that to clip it off, too.
I tied a bolt snap to the attachment point on the far end of my Suunto console. The snap allows me to clip off the console where-ever I think it works best for me. It works out to being a bit larger than a clipped-off SPG, but it has all my numbers handy when I want them.

BTW, I used to use the Suunto combo console, which has a compass on the end, beyond the computer. That was "OK," but when I worked hard to get the compass card level while navigating, I found the HP hose was restraining me. So I've now removed the compass and remounted it in a DSS-provided Suunto compass housing. I'll try my luck navigating with a wrist-mounted compass. But if it starts to get banged or snagged during wreck dives, I might need another approach, like fishing a compass on a lanyard out of a pocket.

Hmmm, y'know something, I think I'll start a compass mounting thread....

Diver0001:
Got it now. Thanks. Any reason you can think of that this same technique wouldn't work with a bit of bungie?

R..

Bungee would require a knot which I was happy to avoid and nylon cover may let it slide around. Shouldn't be hard to try though.

Picture of inner tube on SPG snap and O-ring on long hose 2nd. The extra snap has just the first loop of inner tube to snap. The next loop aroung the SPG take a bit of tugging buit it will stretch enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom