My new long hose setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I have finally seen the light and have replaced my Air 2 with a bungied octo and long hose (5ft for now). My backup reg is an apeks atx 50 and primary is an atx 200. I am going to wait for my first dive before I trim the surgical tubing to make sure everything fits correctly.

The only thing left is to plug in the new dry suit which is arriving in a few days.

Question: Do I need a clip on my primary to clip off the reg to my harness? If so, what is the best way to do this? I'm only doing recreational diving..

Here is a picutre of my setup:

Having a clip on the primary is pretty useful -- when you are moving your gear around on land, having the primary clipped off prevents it from falling and banging on the ground, or falling in the sand. Similarly, if you are in the water and not using the primary, clipping it off prevents it using the length of the hose to get thoroughly away from you :)

It's easy to tie a bolt snap to the hose right at the junction with the second stage. Mackay's Dress for Success book has a full page of illustration on how to tie a bolt snap on with cave line. I seem to remember there's something on line as well, but I don't remember where.

I haven't used the bungie clips, but I did notice that you appear to have a quick disconnect on your high pressure hose -- for a Suunto console? You may want to put a bolt snap on that to clip it off, too.

AquaGuy,
Save yourself a few bucks. Use the link Cathan used. All you need to do is pass line round the boltsnap 3 times and then tie a reef knot (square knot in Yank speak :) ) around each side and if you are not happy after that put a little superglue on each side. The benefit of doing it yourself is that you'll feel able to do as TSandM suggests there might be other times you'll need to do this - ie boltsnap to SMB, boltsnap on torches etc

TSandM:
Having a clip on the primary is pretty useful -- when you are moving your gear around on land, having the primary clipped off prevents it from falling and banging on the ground, or falling in the sand. Similarly, if you are in the water and not using the primary, clipping it off prevents it using the length of the hose to get thoroughly away from you :)

It's easy to tie a bolt snap to the hose right at the junction with the second stage. Mackay's Dress for Success book has a full page of illustration on how to tie a bolt snap on with cave line. I seem to remember there's something on line as well, but I don't remember where.

I attached a tank neck O-ring (2-214) to the reg at the hose with zip ties and then attach a double ender that is hanging on a D-ring when I need to clip off. Little less weight, small reduction in entanglement hazzard grabbing your 2nd, and one less(actually 3, one on each rig) SS snaps required.

Have you tried breathing off of the secondary yet? It looks like your tubing is too far forward and I suspect it will be in the way. Push it all the way back.

And as the others suggested put clips on the primary hose and the spg/computer hose. Letting things dangle is one of teh biggest sins a Hogarthian diver can commit. :)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom