My "new" independent doubles setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I misread... In the first post I was under the impression you were running two separate setup according to the pics.

You might have thought I was trying to be snarky after having to defend the setup for 24 pages, but I wasn't. I just incorrectly understood the setup. Your defensiveness is quite inspiring though. I hope to be as grumpy as you one day.

Still... a really 'intricate' way to get around a shoulder problem.

The only thing I don't really see is why you would run this over a separate doubles regulator switching setup.
I know you said earlier an instructor thought you were in distress, but lets be honest, nowadays with so many people diving sidemount or primary donate, are we really that surprised if we see a regulator switch underwater??? i'd say no tbh.

It's alot less hoses, less ****, but this looks cooler I guess?
Well really, it's because I can. I have the gear, experience and ability to do something different to a setup I've been using in the same form for 30+ years. I began diving IDs long before I had shoulder issues and before isolation manifolds were in common use. So, it wasn't shoulder issues that drove me to IDs rather it is shoulder issues among other things that now prevent my using an isolation manifold. I have 3 sets of ID (doubles) that turn into 6 single tanks whenever I desire. I'd need 3 manifolded tanks and 6 single tanks for that selection. How much $$$ is that in tanks, VIPs and Hydros over a lifetime compared to my 6 tanks?

I have and always will go my own way and do things that I desire not what others consider better.

All this info is in the thread already. I am repeating it for you because I'm a nice guy! :wink:

The only issues I've encountered with this system so far are like this one, made up by SB posters. This isn't grubbiness just stating a fact.

I'm surprised nobody else has come up with this. All the benefit of backmount doubles without the manifold. I guess the drawback is that you've got an extra hose to manage. Not the end of the world, but that's a pet peeve of mine.

Personally, I did the sidemount id doubles thing. It works fine, but I think I'm pretty much done with double tanks. I just had my third back surgery two months ago, and at this point I'm just hoping to lift a single tank rig next summer.
Good luck with that back!
The real draw back with this setup is the AIR1 2nd stage. When it goes it's back to 2 second stages! There aren't many second stages that can be fed from both sides.

Good luck with that back!
The real draw back with this setup is the AIR1 2nd stage. When it goes it's back to 2 second stages! There aren't many second stages that can be fed from both sides.
I think you may be set... I think we are on the way to making the AIR1 indefinitely maintainable (short of a main body crack)!

I think you may be set... I think we are on the way to making the AIR1 indefinitely maintainable (short of a main body crack)!
That's good news!! I like the AIR1 as a primary when single tank diving too!

The Scubapro Dxxx series regulators, including the newest one, the D420, can be fed from both sides, I think. From the Scubapro web site (https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/regulators/systems/mk25-evod420-dive-regulator-system) just now: "The uniquely shaped fiberglass-reinforced nylon casing is ultra-durable and allows the LP hose to be connected on either the right or left side for maximum rigging flexibility." I am assuming that the D420 can be fed from the left and right sides simultaneously.

rx7diver

The Scubapro Dxxx series regulators, including the newest one, the D420, can be fed from both sides, I think. From the Scubapro web site (https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/regulators/systems/mk25-evod420-dive-regulator-system) just now: "The uniquely shaped fiberglass-reinforced nylon casing is ultra-durable and allows the LP hose to be connected on either the right or left side for maximum rigging flexibility." I am assuming that the D420 can be fed from the left and right sides simultaneously.

rx7diver
That maybe the only one. Little on the pricey side for me. Especially when the AIR1 works fine and James79 seems to think the parts availability is solved so it may take me to my diving retirement, if not back to two 2nd stages.

I Like the idea of indy doubles better than any pony bottle setup for solo diving.
It for me, is a deliberate ability to wrongfoot the naysaying dive shop operators whose first empty headed words uttered from their mouths is "We Don't Rent Ponies" so no solo diving.

This totally gets round that and gives you back control. I've not seen the Scubapro two sources into one reg before, but then again with the rebreathers having a built in BOV this was never going to be far off on the cards.

Anyway a novel setup, one that many of us won't have seen before. Well Done.

PGB

Not one, but two inline shutoffs on the primary. Is you're favorite movie Deathwish. You've created an overly complicated configuration that is creating more problems than it's solving. If you're comfortable diving it, then albeit go for it. It would scare the hell out of me if one of my buddies walked up to a divesite with that. At least you used a scubapro reg.
Obviously, you’ve not dived the A.I.R. 1 regulator, as it has input on both sides. This was recommended by Scubapro for either deep or high stress diving as you have twice the input into the second stage, and therefore can have very high flow rates at deep depths/high breathing rates. I’ve used this kind of setup on independent doubles, and it is very effective. The idea of having a shutoff on each side of the regulator is a great idea, as if there were a malfunction on either side, that side can be shut down.

Below is a photo of my use of independent doubles with an A.I.R. 1 regulator. Note that I'm using a Dacor Olypmic first stage on one side, as this is a balanced diaphragm first stage and very easy to adjust so I have the same IP in both regulators. I also used both tanks simultaneously, which gives more air to the second stage, for better breathing performance (twice the volume/surface area feeding the second stage).

SeaRat

Attachments

• Independent Doubles.jpg
    Independent Doubles.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 48
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom