My "new" independent doubles setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are so inclined, you might consider meditating on the irony of this sentence.

It's not my sentence, it's cut from my sentence.

I'm still waiting for your well researched failure data on the, elbows, inlines and swivels I'm using. Since you're one of many that are waving that red flag show me why. So far your response as well as anyone else has been like my personal gear in water failure rate zero (0).

In all such discussions we come down to failure possibilities and with no statistical evidence base often place all possibilities on the same plane as equally likely and with equal outcomes. Aside from anecdotal stories, hyperbole, arm waving, application of common sense or what might be obvious (we think) come to some conclusions. But, all things are not equal, all possible failures do not result in the same outcome or likelihood of occurrence but yet we treat each as if they were because we have nothing other to evaluate our belief system upon.

I am a minimalist, I adhere somewhat to Hogarthian concepts (but not DIR), but ultimately I am a minimalist. This thread reminds me to think of Occam's Razor, applied to SCUBA diving, system components should not be multiplied beyond what is required by necessity. What is necessity, only those things that must be present to complete a dive successfully, anything else is a complication. Nothing else. The simplest execution is most likely the best one. The OP has chosen to identify removing the second stage mouthpiece as a risk factor to eliminate. I, others, might think it more a basic skill, in any case, he has identified a particular thing which he wants to eliminate. How else might he achieve that end and how does having a single second stage affect total system redundancy? What did I miss here, rehtorical question not seeking an answer specifically.

Okay, got to go, I have posted too much on too many forums and threads over the last few days, I must log out and flail myself for having done so. Y'all be safe, be well, have a blessed day.

James

@Nemrod

Outstanding post James, top shelf. The only thing I disagree with is your assessment that I view 2 second stages as a weak or risk point neither is true. It is however closer to, I've identified a particular thing which I want to eliminate/change. Chosen something to change is more factual and to the point. The system as changed is not as redundant as the original basic ID system that I've been diving for years but an enormous cascade of failures would be required before I had no access to air in either tanks. There are other factors like the type of diving I do now; if my life depended on it I could make a CESA with or w/out the rig from any of the depths I'll be diving, at the least local shore dives. I wouldn't take it too NC wreck diving for example, too out of the box. The 2 second stages would go back on like they were 2010 and 2013 when I dove there.

I always welcome your input because unlike some, I know you are the real deal. So thank you for your input. You are always welcome to post in this thread even off topic I certainly will not complain!

Mrs.AD my dive tender is awaken! The car is packed, time to go test dive the AIR 2nd stage!
Posting and pictures to follow. I'll be back.

Edit added:
We're back and I'm still dry. The DEM was at the local pond they were allowing only those that had a watercraft to launch in, so we went to the CT side of the pond but the boat ramp there was too busy.

So we went to Jamestown where we found 2 foots swells and a south wind pushing the swells into the cove crashing upon the rocks. A washing machine full of seaweed is what that cove was. So home we went. :(

I'll try again early in the AM maybe an over night tide flush will improve things?

I use inline shut off’s since I use experimental seats in my D420’s and after having a seat blow out on a dive, draining my tank and a loooong surface swim back I now use them, never noticed any restriction in air delivery, would love to see the data on that claim.

I use inline shut off’s since I use experimental seats in my D420’s and after having a seat blow out on a dive, draining my tank and a loooong surface swim back I now use them, never noticed any restriction in air delivery, would love to see the data on that claim.

Don't hold your breath.

I flow tested my G260 the other day with an in-line shutoff. When I have my tanks filled I’ll do a comparison with and without the shutoff in place.

I'll be waiting with bated breath for the result of your tests. Would a pressure check with and without the inlines be meaningful? If there is restriction could there be a pressure difference or the inverse no difference no restriction?

I'll be waiting with bated breath for the result of your tests. Would a pressure check with and without the inlines be meaningful? If there is restriction could there be a pressure difference or the inverse no difference no restriction?
I should be able to see a difference on the IP gauge. I’ll take a video of the test. I’ll see if I can get lucky and have my tanks filled tomorrow, if not Monday.

I should be able to see a difference on the IP gauge. I’ll take a video of the test. I’ll see if I can get lucky and have my tanks filled tomorrow, if not Monday.

Or not I'm betting on no difference. I'll try it also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom