My New Drysuit is a Trash Bag and Pantyhose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I really like Tyler. But I’ll get to that.

And as for you two, FDog & TSandM, this is your entire fault.

Yeah, I read your threads. So I bought one of those Whites Fusion Drysuits.

I’ve got to admit, it dives like a dream.

But when I first got it, I took one look at it and thought, you have got to be kidding! This thing is a black trash bad sewn together into a shell, and then some spandex-looking thing around it that looks like the same stuff they make panty hose out of. Looks like if you just sneeze on it, the thing will unravel.

Getting into the suit is bad comedy. Do you know of any other drysuit that has its own, How to Get Into It videos on YouTube? Speaking of comedy, my buddies sure thought something was amusing when they saw me in it today. One of them said, “Your crotch sure does look funny.”

Ha, ha. I said, “Dude. You are looking way too close.”

Then I dived the super-hero-looking costume, with my Whites MK3 underneath. The dive was to 170’ with deco up the anchor line. I had on double 100’s and carried an 80 and a 40 for deco. We were on a big inflatable, and usually getting into the doubles on the boat is like Gumby art. With the Fusion, it was a breeze. I tumbled in and clipped on my deco bottles. Even clipping the deco bottles was easier with the superior mobility of the suit. It was like I could see everything (my D rings and such) easier.

We descended down the line. It seemed to take very little suit gas to relieve the squeeze. On the way back up the line, the suit really seemed to vent itself. I have this habit, from my last suit, of lifting my left shoulder way up, and sometimes even dropping my feet, to get a good vent. After the dive, my buddy observed that, with hardly even a shoulder lift, “That thing vents like a banshee .” And he also said, “Your trim was perfect.”

Like everyone else has who has this suit has observed, doing a valve drill was so easy it felt like cheating. Just for fun, I tried to reach my left post valve with my right hand. I couldn’t... but it was close.

After we surface, we have to get out of our doubles in the water to get back into the boat, and this takes some contorting effort. But slipping out of my kit in the water was tons easier in the Fusion.

Yes, without a doubt, the suit is amazingly comfortable. It’s lightweight and easily rolls up into the little drysuit bag when you’re done.

Yes, the neoprene pockets lack the firmness or beefiness I am used to. Still, maneuvering is so easy with the suit on that getting my bag n’ spool out of my left pocket from around the stages was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Nothing to it. Replacing it back into the pocket and closing the pocket it was easy, too.

Yes, it was slightly saggy out of the water, and I found myself pulling the outer material up a couple of times while unloading the boat.

The other negative is the area around the ankles is too tight, so I have to work my feet through and I worry about the stress that will put on the seams over time.

My biggest worry is, will the suit really hold up? What will the outside look like after a year of hard diving?

Next Friday I leave for a one week deep wreck class in the St. Lawrence River, NY. We’ll be penetrating wrecks 2 times a day for a week at depths from 70’ to 230’, including (if all goes well) a final dive into the engine room of the Jodrey. It will be interesting to see if the suit keeps me smiling like it did today, and how it holds up.

And, oh yeah. I really like Tyler. Tyler is the Whites Marketing Manager. The suit has a zipper flaw, so I called him. Of course, he is going to replace it. But his focus was on making sure I had the suit for my upcoming class. Actually the one I have will work until I get back from the trip, and we’ll exchange it then. But I was really impressed with his concern in making sure I had a workable Fusion for my trip. Good on you, Tyler! That goes a long way with me.

So, yes, the suit dives like a dream, and worked outstandingly for me on today’s technical dive. I can state absolutely that it was the most comfortable drysuit dive I have ever had.

Thanks again FDog, TSandM and Tyler. I’ll report back after my class.

I love my Fusion, as almost everybody by now knows. I love it so much I haven't been willing to part with it long enough to get the zipper replaced, or the neck seal replaced which I have worn out. Other than the neck seal (and I eat them, and have on every suit I've owned) the suit looks all but unworn after over 75 dives, including crawling on the bottoms of the caves in Florida.

The Fusion rocks. I'm glad you bought one, Rick.

And you are more of a Fishnet type of "guy"?

Hum...thought I got all those pics off the internet... :wink:

No comment opinions about the drysuit, Ben? :eyebrow:

Congratulations, Rick! The more I've used mine the more amazed I've become.

Except for when my cat tried to eat my Fusion, the Fusion has been solid and quite durable, after ~260 dives. I haven't had mine inside a nasty old wreck yet, so I will be quite interested in how it does.

Enjoy!

All the best, James

Great! This is just wonderful!! Yet another reason to spend MONEY on scuba equipment! :D Maybe I'll have to give one of these a try.

I gotta say though, that the CF200 is the toughest material for diving I've ever seen. But, it's slow to dry, bulky and it does limit my range of motion somewhat... maybe a lot depending on the thermals I've got on.

So you folks are surprised how the Fusion performs??

Hum...thought I got all those pics off the internet... :wink:

No comment opinions about the drysuit, Ben? :eyebrow:

I'm not sold on the toughness of the Tech skin yet.... I think it could be made better. The pockets are important to me so i want to make sure they don't cause the outer skin to fail.

Personally I'm not an aggressive "early adapter" (except for the X-Scooter) and would like to wait a year or so to see what changes are made...

Does it have suspenders?

Does it have suspenders?
Yup. The suspenders are nice. They are higher up in the suit than usual suspenders, so when the suit is open it is more snug.

OP remainded me on an other mod's quest.
When his wife saw him in the fusion,she said something like "NO WAY YOU'RE DIVING IN A CONDOM

:rofl3: :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom