My Mammoth Femur Bone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great find, I was thinking slowly it seems, that if it was in the water, it was in a sharks tummy, now it has been explained to me that it was not in the water when it met it's demise, just call me a blond.

Are yawl interested in seeing more of the fossils we found? I've been busy with the camera again.....

BTW, I think I love this spot!! Granted, finding teeth is fun, but you know, when your fossil diving and finding just sharks teeth with the occaisional megalodon tooth and chunks of broken rib bone and stuff then find something like a friggin FEMUR BONE, chunk of turtle shell, deer antler, a few horse teeth, etc., the little teeth just become more a novelty... ya know???

CBulla:
Are yawl interested in seeing more of the fossils we found? I've been busy with the camera again.....

BTW, I think I love this spot!! Granted, finding teeth is fun, but you know, when your fossil diving and finding just sharks teeth with the occaisional megalodon tooth and chunks of broken rib bone and stuff then find something like a friggin FEMUR BONE, chunk of turtle shell, deer antler, a few horse teeth, etc., the little teeth just become more a novelty... ya know???

Post the pictures! Would love to see more

Ok... 1 request is enough for me!! :fruit:

First batch is the horse teeth we found. My wife found the larger of these two as we did our first decent. It was in the open right on the sand. It's a relative to the modern equine front tooth. The enamal cap is missing.

The smaller tooth is a miniature horse tooth (parahippus) front tooth. With the exception of a few chips, its complete.

Set two.... From left to right....

1) This piece appears to be deer antler as it is textured as if it were covered in hair at some point in its life.

2) A chunk of tortoise shell.. the texture gives this one away.. it took quite a few pictures at various angles to get the camera to pick up what is obvious when you look at it.

3) A selection of the more identifiable bones (and nicer teeth found). This picture has the majority of the bones with the outside (smooth) side up.

4) Same as above, some of the bones turned over to show the porous side is sometimes the side that is visible and how easily identify bone by this feature.

5) I have no idea what this one is. Based on the shape, I believe its the base of the skull for some animal.

Larger pictures of any of the items posted are available upon request!! :)

very very cool

i think #5 is an Indian cheese grater

LOL cheese grater!

edited in note: the Mammoth bone may not be a mammoth bone at all, unless its a juvinile since it is only 27" in overall length. Appearently there is some interest in this little find with some local palentologists! :D

Very cool! Nice finds!

Pardon my blondness, but did you find all this on ONE dive??

And do you know how heavy the femur bone is?
I must say, I'm impressed. I would have swam right by all of it and thought, "Ick, ugly black rocks. Where's the pretty stuff?":fish:

Ca-hoooooo-well!

I love the horse teeth. Your finds are just amazing. And I agree about the piece of skull.

Can you take me diving there? I'll even carry your tanks! :05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom