My Mammoth Femur Bone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've mentioned it and now I'm posting the pictures of it.. thats right, my wooly mammoth bone! The one my wife and I found while diving around the south side of the pier with Jeff and Brian.. After letting it soak 24 hours I pulled it out to take a picture of... Overall length, 27", weight undetermined at the moment, and the guess from what I've looked up is that this is a femur bone (not 100% intact). I have another piece that needs to be identified as well and a picture is forth coming, the batteries on the cam died and needed a recharge.

Very nice Colin. I am itching to get over there and dive with ya'll!

did that come out of a shark?? wonder how big the shark was??

Hey, Colin, how are you going to try to preserve it?
Will drying it out have any detremental effect upon it?
Several coats of polyurethane, perhaps?

Cool! Great find! it looks, indeed, like a femur. A 27" femur. Dayum. That's some big leg. Or flipper, or something. I look forward to seeing a photo of the other piece you have!

Wow, that's the biggest bone I've seen!

That's a puzzler, Colin, I have been doing some reading. I gotta wonder how old that thing is.

Kracken -
We've already gotten in contact with Mark Renz and Florida Department of Natural History regarding our find, identifying the peices, and proper preservation. We're quite stoked about it.. how often do you find a nearly whole Dino bone?! My wife is already talking about helping with the display at the nature center we participated in the Earth day clean up at since their natural history section is a little..... lacking (and had a few mis-named/labeled peices).

Sue - I'm about 99% sure its a mammoth femur. 2th Diver has been finding mammoth teeth in the same area (I believe) so chances are pretty good its from roughly the same era (middle pliocene) and can be as young as 4000 years old (coexisting with humans in the area at the time) or as old as 15 million years old. It's hard to tell really. :)

Penny... Thanks! I have this knack for shock factor :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom