My last stupid question about OW cert dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you discussed this with the instructor? You did not bother telling us if your dives are shore, boat, or even when they are scheduled?

In either event, I doubt the dives will be at a depth greater than 30fsw. I also doubt that any of your dives will exceed 45 minutes, and likely more like 30 minutes.

Generally dives can be done in the morning. If they are shore dives, tide may be a timing factor. However if you are doing shore dives, then you should be able to get two dives in within about 2 hours easily.

If boat diving, most ops run morning and afternoon charters, and morning charters rarely get back after noon.

In any event, I'd not worry to much about the time to fly as your profiles should be very relaxed. You will hardly be hitting your NDL unless your instructor is a fool, and an 18 hour time to fly is likley much more conservative than necessary for the profiles you will be doing.

The DAN site recommends an 18 hour interval following multi day dives or multiple dives in a day. As stated by several, these should be pretty easy dives (and I will talk to the instructor about that beforehand) so my interval looks fine.

If bad weather pops up I guess I'll just have to arrange another trip South from snowy Chicago to finish up. Oh, poor me!

Hey tparrent - where in Chicago are you? I'm starting my SCUBA training with my fiance on Thursday (finally! Yay!) in Skokie at SCUBA Systems. Everyone in there was super nice.

Hope your OW tests go well!

And, yes, the PADI recommendation is 18 hours before getting onto the plane.

My PADI book states:
"For dives within the No-Decompression Limts
Single Dives - a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
Repetitive Dives and/or Multiday Dives - A minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting bent (who wasn't already bent) on an airplane or after a flight if they pushed these limits? I thought this stuff was theoretical. Even pressurized at 30,000 feet you are not at multiple negative ATA.

Wendy 7 - I work in the loop but live way out past Crystal Lake. Did my training at TOucan Dive in Lake Villa. Great folks there too.

Have fun with your training!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom