My initial thoughts on my new compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only current "problem" I repeatedly see regarding these compressors continually come up with any reliability is "the filter is small so you have to replace it often". For those of us filling only a couple hours per week, that's a really minor inconvenience at the price of saving thousands of dollars compared to going with a Bauer JR II etc. (and no, I don't want a 20 year old, who knows the condition of any of the components used one to deal with either). As such, this issue notwithstanding, I've found absolutely no reason to not stick with the compressor if this was truly a manufacturing defect that will shortly be corrected. If you are aware of things that make this compressor unlikely to perform properly in the future and can cite what those issues are, I'd be happy to hear them so I can be informed and prepared. I've already reduced the maintenance intervals for me personally just for peace of mind (doing oil changes every 25 hours, not waiting til 500 hours for a valve service etc.), but even with those conservative adjustments for the compressor (and increased costs as a result) it seems to me that I'm going to come out ahead monetarily AND have a compressor that will adequately perform everything I need from it compared to spending thousands more for a BJII...
Tend to agree with this experience with a Coltri, I have ben running mine since 2011, filling twinsets, 3L, Nitrox, air and the occasional trimix, The only thing I would add is that the capacitors in the switch box do not like running for more than 75 minutes at any one time. I have had to replace them when this happened to me on two occasions when filling an air bank. Replace the HP filter every 10 hours and the oil every 25 and you will never go wrong.

Interesting. I just replaced one of the capacitors in my MCH-6 at 97 hours. It melted and began smoking. Fortunately, there is not much to burn there except the foam pads which were the source of the smoke. I never run my unit for more than an hour at a time, and only fill tanks and not a bank.

You should return it.

There should be very little oil carry over on a new machine, like undetectable. Filters should pretty look brand new at the change interval unless the machine has built up hours.

If you see oil in the condensate so soon out of the box, something is wrong. The mfg shipping a unit with oil also demonstrates something is not right with final, machines are not supposed to get shipped with oil, that's a shipping regulation. I only point this out since probably a new guy in test and maybe not seasoned in picking up on issues.

Keep in mind this is not really a totally legit compressor mfg, they are copying designs and having it made inexpensively in china. I'm not going to tell you how to assess risk but poor quality should be assumed from these types of companies. If you return it, you can get a new one that got assembled correctly/ doesn't have any bad parts. Plenty of people have success with these so swapping it out now will be easy and you can probably rely more confidently on a unit that works proper out of the box.

If I bought a piece of equipment, it was set up properly and upon the first use it resulted in contamination of my tanks... at the very LEAST I would be inquiring about a refund of the cost for having all tanks and valves cleaned and filled at a dive shop by a professional. If the manufacturer balked at that, then I would be looking to return the equipment for a full refund.

Perhaps they could talk me into a another identical unit that was not shipped with a defect, with the understanding that they would be paying for all shipping and cleaning costs and that if the new unit has issues, they are going to have to arrange for a pick up.

This isn't a paper printer that is smearing ink.

Update:
New parts showed up today. Put them on, installed new filter, and everything looks to be working perfectly now. Filling tanks, but air sample media won't get here until next week, then I'll send the air sample in for analysis. When I get the results I'll post them for reference. I would have liked Nuvair to make more of an effort to compensate me for the contaminated tanks than just sending correct parts and a couple filters, but it is what it is and I'm not going to inconvenience myself a ton more just to push back regarding this one issue with the compressor so long as the air test results come back satisfactory.

Compressor: Coltri MCH-6, I ordered the compressor the week before July 4th, and was told to expect it to be built the following week, tested and ship the week after that (12th-16th). It actually shipped the Tuesday the 27th, despite my salesperson telling me on the 14th that it was in line for testing and should ship "in the next day or two",

That piece of information tells you it needed repair or was a return from another buyer. and your first warning.

a random bolt and washer was loose inside,

That piece of information confirms it was re worked or repaired

The manual states that it ships without oil or a filter in it, but mine arrived with oil and the filter both already taken care of. That's nice

No that's the point at which you got hosed with a broken repaired compressor. They get sent out dry no oil no filters (unless they are second hand I guess.

but I was surprised to note that there is visible oil probably every 2-3 blowdowns

No that was the point you should have wised up and returned it. the repair didnt work.

Overall, so far I'm pleased with the compressor,

Just not for long.

Not sure if seeing visible oil in the separator is normal or something I need to be concerned about,

You have two choices yes or no take your choice, A. It doesn't matter as long as your happy, or B. You will be.

I'll hook up the nitrox stick and route all that stuff later this week

What with all that oil belching out the thing? You sure about that.
Read the label does it say anything on it about nitrox?
What pressure and what percentage?

Oh the joy of recreational divers buying a cheap oily scuba compressor. Hope dies last.
But as long as your happy I guess.

It is what it is and I'm not going to inconvenience myself a ton more just to push back regarding this one issue with the compressor so long as the air test results come back satisfactory.

OK. Fix the symptom ignore the cause. On your dime next time I guess.

Still look on the bright side you shelled out for a stack of spare oil and filters all at 20% off
in case when you need them.........I guess now you will.

Update:
New parts showed up today. Put them on, installed new filter, and everything looks to be working perfectly now. Filling tanks, but air sample media won't get here until next week, then I'll send the air sample in for analysis. When I get the results I'll post them for reference. I would have liked Nuvair to make more of an effort to compensate me for the contaminated tanks than just sending correct parts and a couple filters, but it is what it is and I'm not going to inconvenience myself a ton more just to push back regarding this one issue with the compressor so long as the air test results come back satisfactory.

Those saying the mfg should pay for your tank cleaning are nuts. I ma not aware of any company that compensates people for the auxiliary damage from bad parts, it just doesn't happen. I understand the argument but it is too much liability for companies to support things beyond their own stuff......

It is commendable to work with the supplier instead of demanding it be returned, you should do that to some extent since you would expect they know their product and it could be a benign assembly issue fixed with parts. Keep in mind the limitation on disputing the charge on your CC. This may be your last line of defense and you should not let your cooperation with the distributor go beyond this point since you will be totally at their mercy after CC protections run out. My card is two months.

@iain/hsm Has some valid points but some totally invalid points.

Lose bolts don't mean rework was done, this is a budget compressor assembled during a labor shortage, what can you expect. Oil in there doesn't mean that either. I receive equipment all the time. equipment is almost always run at the factory so it gets filled and emptied during test. Every so often equipment comes in and has oil, it is just someone forgetting to empty it after test.... (labor shortage, rember? )

Recently, i have seen 5, 75HP motors from a top tier mfg, burn up in the first week of operation because someone on their line did a **** job assembling. Given the current situation it is pretty safe to assume it was a new guy hired because he showed up.

What I can agree on is that your comp probably is flawed, and oil in the separator is a huge sign of a major flaw, not O-rings or some filter cap issue.

There is a reason Bauer gets the money they do for equipment, this thing just doesn't happen with them because they spend more on production. Nothing wrong with the bargain guys stuff, especially for non professional use, but realize what you are dealing with and react appropriately. If they offer an exchange, I would ask that they refund the first and let you order another so you have a fresh charge on your card so the protection clock starts over. My guess is that they will oblige

Just my opinion, Good Luck.

I agree you will have a tough time getting them to pay for you tanks getting cleaned...

I rebuild engines I assume compressors are the same there should be a break in time for the rings. Perhaps that's the problem... or the oil control rings are missing....

Back
Top Bottom