My hose setup, am I close?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... in fact you have a 50/50 chance depending on which tank failed to have more than enough

Why would it depend on which tank failed? If you're managing your gas properly it shouldn't matter which tank failed, because any differential in tank pressure should fall well within your reserve limit. If that ain't the case, you need to consider switching regs more frequently ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One thing i noticed while reading Jill's "Sidemount Profiles" is that a sidemount only team with short hoses only on both tanks can adopt an over/under position where one diver is on top of the other for gas sharing on short hoses. In tight restrictions i could see this a very problematic, but in general it might be a useable practice if one was going to dive two short hoses.

--nielsent

... in fact you have a 50/50 chance depending on which tank failed to have more than enough

Why would it depend on which tank failed? If you're managing your gas properly it shouldn't matter which tank failed, because any differential in tank pressure should fall well within your reserve limit. If that ain't the case, you need to consider switching regs more frequently ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is saying that both tanks BY THEMSELVES would have enough air in them to get you out. Since you have 2 tanks and those tanks usually having 2 different PSI's (one more then another) there is a 50/50 chance that you may end up with the tank that has the higher PSI (assuming the lower PSI one failed). THIS in turn would leave you with more then enough to get out.

I can not believe this is so hard of a concept to understand. :shakehead:

Never is too complicated for you :idk: Are you saying you cant manage your gas so that you know you have enough? I ALWAYS know that I have enough, I owe that to the guys I dive with and my family. If I lose one bottle I WILL have enough to get out. That isnt 50/50, thats just called proper gas management.
You are just plain ignorant of the meaning of the original 50/50 post. :shakehead:

Do you even dive SM?
Nope never done nothing more then a brownie :rofl3:

Hey LakeCountryDiver, I think there is some what of a disconnect on what you are trying to say and how others are interpreting it.

The way they are interpreting what you said is "If a tank fails, you have a 50/50 chance of having enough air to get out," which is not your intent.

But what you are actually saying is "Regardless of what happens, you have a 100% chance to get out, but a 50% chance to have excess gas, in the case that the tank lost is the one with lower PSI. This is in contrast to losing the tank with the higher PSI in which case you have just enough gas to get out."

To everyone else, LakeCountryDiver isn't suggesting that you won't have enough gas to get out, he is suggesting that you may have more than you need.

It's a very subtle difference but I hope this helps clears things up.

Hey LakeCountryDiver, I think there is some what of a disconnect on what you are trying to say and how others are interpreting it.

The way they are interpreting what you said is "If a tank fails, you have a 50/50 chance of having enough air to get out," which is not your intent.

But what you are actually saying is "Regardless of what happens, you have a 100% chance to get out, but a 50% chance to have excess gas, in the case that the tank lost is the one with lower PSI. This is in contrast to losing the tank with the higher PSI in which case you have just enough gas to get out."

To everyone else, LakeCountryDiver isn't suggesting that you won't have enough gas to get out, he is suggesting that you may have more than you need.

It's a very subtle difference but I hope this helps clears things up.

I tell you I am glad you understand that. How you put it is how I interpreted that post from FWADIVIR about the whole 50/50 deal. Nowhere did I read anything about running OOA.

I tell you I am glad you understand that. How you put it is how I interpreted that post from FWADIVIR about the whole 50/50 deal. Nowhere did I read anything about running OOA.

Glad I could help :)

You're right about FWADIVIR's initial post. I think it was just due to somewhat ambiguous wording and also that everyone was on the OOG thought track which threw things awry.

Not sure you guys got Kevin's point.

There is NOT a 50/50 chance of having more than enough gas. If you dive by the rules, you will always have more than enough gas.

Worst case, you are down to a third in each tank. You suffer a catastrophic loss in one tank.

However, if you are down to a third, you are at your exit. A third of one tank AT your exit is more than enough gas.

Now, interpolate that to any point in the dive ... If you practice good gas management, you will have more than enough gas.

Tapatalk by Droid

Thats true Jax, like you said, if you are down to 1/3 of your tank at failure you are already out of the water.

I think at this point we have established that no matter what happens, with proper gas planning and barring a dual catastrophic failures there will always be enough gas.

The 50/50 can more be looked upon as a theoretical thought exercise.

I would suggest that we move back to the original topic at hand, but at this point I can't seem to recall what it even was :(

Not sure you guys got Kevin's point.

I am sure Kevin is the one who did not get the point. He misread a post then tried to prove his own point. By no means is Kevin wrong in what he is saying he is just saying it with the wrong point in mind.

:deadhorse:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom