My friend took a bad hit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Thanks. The way you said "non-stop diving" with that plan, Debraw thought you meant 6 a day for 3 days, which would be very aggressive. "

:doh: Oh I get it now. :bash:

mccabejc:
Yikes. One more area (now I'm up to 3 or 4 major areas) in which I feel seriously shortchanged in my PADI OW training. From what I've read here, good hydration prior to diving is very important. If we covered that in our training (I don't even recall it being mentioned as a serious factor), we certainly didn't stress it as possibly being a critical factor in your safety. Thanks to all of you on this board I'm learning a LOT.

Anyway, I was planning a 3 day weekend of nonstop diving, possibly 5 or 6 dives in 3 days. Nothing deeper than 40 feet. But now I'm not so sure.
Drinking water was one the first points my instructor covered and had us with gaterade or water at times. He told us it is the one most single important thing that is overlooked by divers. You can never be hydrated enough. The books tell you, and I am a PADI diver and I am becoming a DM and someday an instructor and I have all the books up to instructor. Every one of the books talks about dehyradtion.
It is always good to keep your books and review them. It is there for you to refresh your memory when you forget. Don't forget to read. Knowledge keeps you alive.
Sincerely
Bridget

Scubakevdm:
Okay, I can't figure out how to export the dive, but here's the numbers on the ascent:
Total ascent time was 8min,40 sec from 60' (6.9 fpm). This includes a 3min 32 sec ascent from 60' to 20' (11.3 fpm), a 3 min 20 sec stop at 20' and a 1min 48 sec ascent from 20' to the surface (11.1 fpm).
I hope your friend is ok!!
Praying for his full recovery.

mccabejc:
---I feel very confident because what I didn't learn in class I've spent much time on my own learning about, studying, and getting very confident with.---

Another lesson I learned the hard way is that I MUST be VERY bold and assertive about my own safety. In my opinion, that was not stressed in the class nearly to the extent that it is needed for new divers.

Jim,

I am impressed that, for a fairly new diver, you have an excellent attitude toward your sport. There is always something new to learn, and there is always something old to practice. You understand this, and I commend you for it!

Further, it is hard for newer divers to understand that it is they who must take charge of their own safety. They must exercise that assertiveness to say: "I don't like this. I will not do this in these circumstances!"

I was talking to Bernie Chowdhury at one point and complementing him on his book, "The Last Dive". (I firmly believe that it should be required reading for all technical divers. Friends and fellow dive educators, such as Alex Brylske, have pointed out that it should be required reading for all divers.) The one point I made to Bernie, however, was that he kept saying that that the Rouses were excellent technical divers. They may have been well practiced, but their "head-work" was faulty, and their overly-aggressive macho attitude led them to their final set of mistakes.

Folks, don't get me wrong here. I mean no disrespect to those who are lost. I simply point out that, for any of us, we can, if we are not careful: "Let our crocodile mouth override our alligator a**!!!" as Tom Mount so strikingly put it in a recent diving article.

Keep an open mind, keep learning, and listen to that little voice of inner caution when it says to you: "Hey, foo', don't be doin' this right now!" You will wind up enjoying diving for a LOT longer! :wink:

BigJetDriver69:
Jim,

I am impressed that, for a fairly new diver, you have an excellent attitude toward your sport. There is always something new to learn, and there is always something old to practice. You understand this, and I commend you for it!

Further, it is hard for newer divers to understand that it is they who must take charge of their own safety. They must exercise that assertiveness to say: "I don't like this. I will not do this in these circumstances!"

I was talking to Bernie Chowdhury at one point and complementing him on his book, "The Last Dive". (I firmly believe that it should be required reading for all technical divers. Friends and fellow dive educators, such as Alex Brylske, have pointed out that it should be required reading for all divers.) The one point I made to Bernie, however, was that he kept saying that that the Rouses were excellent technical divers. They may have been well practiced, but their "head-work" was faulty, and their overly-aggressive macho attitude led them to their final set of mistakes.

Folks, don't get me wrong here. I mean no disrespect to those who are lost. I simply point out that, for any of us, we can, if we are not careful: "Let our crocodile mouth override our alligator a**!!!" as Tom Mount so strikingly put it in a recent diving article.

Keep an open mind, keep learning, and listen to that little voice of inner caution when it says to you: "Hey, foo', don't be doin' this right now!" You will wind up enjoying diving for a LOT longer! :wink:
I loved that book. I just got done reading it.
Not to high jack this topic.
I totally agree and I learned so much for that book and it made me cry a couple of times at the end.

Thanks for posting, it seriously makes us new divers think things over twice about our safety...

Well wishes to your friend, I hope he recovers quickly. :)

Now off to find out more about this PFO that everyone is mentioning...

I didn't know that the major effects of DCS like being paralyzed can occur so quickly, even before leaving the water. I was under the impression that was one of the end results, am I wrong?

DCROOK:
I didn't know that the major effects of DCS like being paralyzed can occur so quickly, even before leaving the water. I was under the impression that was one of the end results, am I wrong?
DCS includes DCI (bends) and embolism. When the ambient pressure is decreased, nitrogen in the system will come out of solution. By surfacing slowly we hope to avoid or limit the bubble formation and to allow time for the lungs to eliminate the nitrogen. But if a bubble forms in or travels to the brain or spine, paralysis would be the logical result.

I have read of other in water paralysis cases. A good argument for surfacing with a buddy. At least the buddy can, as happened here, help you out and get you face up in the water.

Way to be ther for your buddy. Solo divers should take note of this situation. My thoughts and prayers are with your buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom