My First Uploaded Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10X

Reaction score
I've been hesitant about uploading photos because I wasn't sure I was up to your standards. However, I thought I'd give it a shot and perhaps learn a little something from your critique.

I only uploaded 9 photos, but they are some of my favorites. They were taken earlier this year either on our cruise in Tahiti or our stay in Hawaii.

Here is the link: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=20375

Let me know how I'm doing.

Nice. I do have a question - some of the pics look like the strobe didn't fire - what settings were you using on the 5050? Was the camera's flash on AUTO or slow1?

You've got some nice fish shots there! Thanks for putting them here for us!

I agree with jlyle...if you want some more ideas on what to do next time for even better results it would be very helpful to know some of the settings.

In any case, looks like two great trips!

I would bet that 10X isn't using a strobe. I haven't purchased one yet, but now that I am more comfortable with my camera, I intend to get one.

Keep working on the pictures. You will get better and you will get more shots that are acceptable to you. I throw away more than I keep and sometimes I am disappointed when I get to the surface and one that I wanted really bad, turns out to be a junker. But I usually get at least one on each dive that is a real keeper. It isn't easy to get good pictures of animals that won't sit still and you can't really stay still either.

Thanks for the comments, and I wish I could help you with some answers, but what I can tell you probably won't help much. Please see this post regarding my trials and tribulations to get these pictures.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=90230

You are right that my flash did not go off in a couple of these pictures. Why it didn't is beyond me. For example, I have a professional video that was taken during a shark dive in Bora Bora. In the video you can see my flash going off. However, when I later looked at all of the pictures, it was obvious that something happened because some of the pictures were black. I worked on them and brought out what I could, but it wasn't pretty.

I'll try to give you a run down on the 9 photos posted.

1. Yellow Tang; this is a portion of a much larger picture of a group of Yelllow Tangs, but he was by far the best. The flash worked on this picture.

2. Whitemouth Moray; the flash did not go off on this picture and the photo had to be enhanced to bring him out.

3. Teardrop Butterfly; this was taken in shallow water, using natural light.

4. Masked Bannerfish; this was originally a photo taken using RAW that came out mostly black due to the flash not firing.

5. Moorish Idol; taken if fairly shallow water and the flash worked. There is almost no enhancement to this picture.

6. Rangiroa Reef; this was originally a photo taken in RAW and was very dark, like the flash did not fire. Photoshop CS was used to enhance this photo and #4 to bring them out of the darkness.

7. Napoleon Wrasse; this photo was taken at such a distance that the flash was a moot point. This fish is about 6 feet long and is huge. Some enhancement was done to bring out his green color. I love this guy.

8. Divided Flatworm; this photo is basically as is except for some cropping. The flash was working well this day after I seemed to resolve the problems with it not firing.

9. Hawiian Dascyllus; no flash intended here. The details of the fish were unimportant. I wanted the blue/black look with the diver in the background. This shot is one of my favorites. I got what I wanted here.

I don't know why my flash was firing sometimes and not others. On land I had trouble getting setting right to make it work all of the time. When I finally did I had one day of diving left. The only thing I can think of is that I changed the settings during the dive and the camera didn't like it.

Denny

Here is the data I recovered from Photoshop CS from the original pictures. I don't have a clue as top why my flash wasn't firing. All I know is that after frogging around with different settings for about 10 minutes on land, it started working. It was working great when I took the shots of the Divided Flatworm and the Yellow Tang. When I refer to flash, I'm talkling about my strobe. I couldn't tell what the internal flash was doing because it's masked over. Thanks for the help.

Rangiroa Reef:
Shutter Speed: 1/125 sec.
Exposure program: Manual
F/Stop: 5.6
ISO: 64
Focal length: 14.5mm
Flash: Fired, no strobe return detected.
Metering Mode: Pattern

Masked Bannerfish:
Shutter Speed: 1/125 sec.
Focal length: 14.5mm
Flash: Fired, no strobe return detected.

Teardrop Butterflyfish:
Program Mode
No Flash

Napoleon Wrasse:
Shutter Speed: Not recorded
F/Stop: 2.8
Focal length: 21.3mm
Flash: Fired, no strobe return detected, unknown flash mode, flash function present.

Whitemouth Moray
F/Stop: 3.6
Focal length: 7.1mm
Flash: Flash did not fire, no strobe return detected, compulsory flash suppression.

Hawaiian Dascyllus:
F/Stop: 3.2
Flash: Flash did not fire, no strobe return detected, compulsory flash suppression.

Moorish Idol:
F/Stop: 3.2

Divided Flatworm:
Flash: Fired, no strobe return detected, unknown flash mode, flash function present.

Yellow Tang:

"compulsory flash suppression"

It looks like you had set the flash so that it wouldn't fire. It's hard to see the icon, but the lightning bolt with the slash through it, suppresses the camera's flash. If the camera's flash doesn't go off, neither will the strobe.

Put the flash on "slow" and everything should work properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom