My first underwater picture with D70/ Sea and Sea housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
OK, I still need to learn a lot switching over to dSLR but it is not as bad as I thought.
The biggest change I suppose is now that the housing is pretty much glued to my mask so I can see the viewfinder. Gone is the luxury day of having the camera at arm length away. The viewfinder is not as difficult to use as I was anticipated and it is nice to be able to see if the picture is in focus much more accurately than with LCD screen.
However, having to have the viewfinder right up to the mask, I miss a few things
1) I can't see the composition, check strobe placement and see the result without having to move one bit as I do with the C5050 at arm lenght away.
2) I get tunnel vision and are more prone to my mean dive buddies' practical joke such as putting their hands in front of my lens and I could not figure out why suddenly I could not focus anything!
3) I can't put the camera right down to the sandy bottom and still compose nor get the camera into some weird inaccessible angle.

But there are also some benefit, I used the 70-180 lens and it allowed me to get better close up from a distance of shy fish easier. Autofocus is much faster. Easier to deal with autofocus lock. I will try to go diving some more at the end of the month and hopefully I wil get some better shots.

goby.jpg

From where I sit, you're one hell of a photographer. Great pic.

ssra30:
OK, I still need to learn a lot switching over to dSLR but it is not as bad as I thought.
The biggest change I suppose is now that the housing is pretty much glued to my mask so I can see the viewfinder. Gone is the luxury day of having the camera at arm length away. The viewfinder is not as difficult to use as I was anticipated and it is nice to be able to see if the picture is in focus much more accurately than with LCD screen.
However, having to have the viewfinder right up to the mask, I miss a few things
1) I can't see the composition, check strobe placement and see the result without having to move one bit as I do with the C5050 at arm lenght away.
2) I get tunnel vision and are more prone to my mean dive buddies' practical joke such as putting their hands in front of my lens and I could not figure out why suddenly I could not focus anything!
3) I can't put the camera right down to the sandy bottom and still compose nor get the camera into some weird inaccessible angle.

But there are also some benefit, I used the 70-180 lens and it allowed me to get better close up from a distance of shy fish easier. Autofocus is much faster. Easier to deal with autofocus lock. I will try to go diving some more at the end of the month and hopefully I wil get some better shots.

goby.jpg

Cool! Glad to see your awesome first shot. What focal length did you shoot on this photo???? Any other EXIF info appreciated. Keep them great shots coming!

SSRA, Nice pic. How do you like the camera and housing? I bought a D70 when it first came out and love the camera. I currently use a Nikon F100 in a Sea and Sea housing and love it. Do you like the housing???

I checked it out at the Scuba Show in Long Beach, CA 2 weeks ago and like it.

What are the ups and downs to the housing and the camera UW??

View Finder?? Whoa, doesn't the D-70 have a screen in the back like all the other cameras?...

Also,is this a replacement for the D-100 or are they still active, now with both...?

Just wondering...

DSLR's only use the LCD to display the picture once it is taken. Normally the mirror is down and the mechanical shutter is closed so the sensor does not receive the image.

The D70 exceeds the D100 in many respects except for a few things, but the D100 is still being manufactured. The D100 is slightly more rugged(metal frame), there is a vertical grip, it can use a cable release (only wireless remote with D70), there is a vibration reduction mode. Other than that, D70 has same or better specs than the D100.

Thanks for posting your first picture AND for giving a real life report...I think that is very helpful to others who may have questions about the same set-up.

I look forward to seeing more photos and to hearing how the learning curve goes!

Excellent!

marpacifica:
Cool! Glad to see your awesome first shot. What focal length did you shoot on this photo???? Any other EXIF info appreciated. Keep them great shots coming!

The exif data: iso 200, focal length 110mm , 1/30 s, F32, AF-S mode, will have to look really hard for a great shot since I was fumbling around most of the time on Saturday. Hopefully next trip will be better.

Here is one more:
aao.jpg

Iso 200, 1/20 s F18
I think I will need to aim the strobe better as the Ikelite should be able to light up the scene without having to resort to such a low shutterspeed.
I am so used to one strobe above the camera now using 2 strobes from each side is not as easy as it looks.

ssra30:
Here is one more:
aao.jpg

Iso 200, 1/20 s F18
I am so used to one strobe above the camera now using 2 strobes from each side is not as easy as it looks.

well it looks good from this angle...
You seem to have the strobes set Ok, are you using a TTL. or just guessing on the strobe power, I'd say a darn good guess as it isn't fried nor hidden in the dark... so it's looking good from here.... but yes, getting the speed up a little...
just a matter of 'Having" to go to MORE places and shoot.. :wink: heheh...

Good pic

Back
Top Bottom