My first underwater emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This experience doesn't make me want to be more self-reliant. It makes me want to make darned sure that I go in the water with people like my teammates today. In fact, I've arm-twisted my husband into getting some of the same training; I've gotten him to do air-share drills with me as often as I can, and I've sent our two best friends to get some further training as well, since I will likely dive with them often.

My teammates were both additional sources of air. They were also there to help me when I lost buoyancy, and their very presence helped keep me calm and rational through the whole experience. I liked the team diving idea when it was first presented to me. I've been its beneficiary now, and I'm a believer.

Lynne - Do you feel like breathing off of your buddy's primary and long hose helped you stay calm? I know your belief in buddy awareness was solidified, but how about the DIR gear configuration?

I can see that as perhaps the best response, but my partner does not dive - period.

I like to travel with her - so I end up diving in odd places by myself - ergo - think of myself in these situations as a "solo diver" that has a "buddy" that I might have to help, but can't rely on. As I read and dive more I realize that stuff happens even if you do everything correctly. Need to be more self reliant, be able to deal with something like this if my buddy is not available for some reason. Did not realize until very recently just how fast a freeflow empties a tank. If such a thing had happened I might not have even worried about the amount of air spewing out until I looked at the SPG.

The truth is I have had amazing luck with instabuddies, but can't rely on that happening every time.

" Do you feel like breathing off of your buddy's primary and long hose helped you stay calm?"

ABSOLUTELY! Going on Steve's long hose was comfortable and easy, and I was completely familiar with the drill (especially having just done three of them). And having the long hose gave us some slack so that, when I didn't handle my buoyancy well, I didn't pull the regulator out of my mouth. There was enough room so that I could move up a little, and Steve could grab me, and I could vent, and never be at risk of losing my air supply.

TSandM:
" Do you feel like breathing off of your buddy's primary and long hose helped you stay calm?"

ABSOLUTELY! Going on Steve's long hose was comfortable and easy, and I was completely familiar with the drill (especially having just done three of them). And having the long hose gave us some slack so that, when I didn't handle my buoyancy well, I didn't pull the regulator out of my mouth. There was enough room so that I could move up a little, and Steve could grab me, and I could vent, and never be at risk of losing my air supply.

OK thanks! I'm in the midst of reconfiguring my gear. I'm goin' with the long hose. :D

Sounds like you handled a difficult situation very well. It's nice to be diving with true buddies who can respond correctly and quickly.

I have one question to TSandM as well as some of the other experienced divers

Would it have been better to let DoubleDip turn off the valve on your tank ?

You mentioned there was not much air left in it, but if it had been turned off, wouldn't it have reduced your task loading on the ascent and prevented the possibility of seawater entering the empty air tank ?

Would it have been better to let DoubleDip turn off the valve on your tank ?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I think it's a good one. Maybe I'll write and ask Steve.

You've done well, my young Padawan. :)

TSandM:
This experience doesn't make me want to be more self-reliant. It makes me want to make darned sure that I go in the water with people like my teammates today. In fact, I've arm-twisted my husband into getting some of the same training; I've gotten him to do air-share drills with me as often as I can, and I've sent our two best friends to get some further training as well, since I will likely dive with them often.

My teammates were both additional sources of air. They were also there to help me when I lost buoyancy, and their very presence helped keep me calm and rational through the whole experience. I liked the team diving idea when it was first presented to me. I've been its beneficiary now, and I'm a believer.

Lynne, your experiences continue to illuminate my understanding of my situation. I'm so glad you're safe, and we all learn alot from you.
My instructor has been refusing to give me my OW cert, and it was starting to get annoying (I have my Scuba--12m with an instructor or DM). I've done all the skills in practice situations successfully, but he wants to see me deal with more real situations in the company of people like you were with. Now I accept it.

Back
Top Bottom