My first underwater emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It was bound to happen some time -- something that really went wrong, and couldn't be solved underwater. I was incredibly lucky that it happened on a training dive.

I went down this afternoon with Steve White, my Fundies instructor, and DoubleDip, my practice partner. We were doing a training dive, and we had a long agenda of activities to include some drills, having Steve look at the mechanics of kicks, help with trim, and on and on. The dive started well with some good air-sharing drills, and DoubleDip did a lovely valve drill (would that I could). We kicked a while, did some hovering, and then I noticed that DoubleDip's backup light was on. Last dive, he had done things of that sort to test my situational awareness, so I thought he was at it again. I gave him the "hold" signal, and went to fix the problem. Unfortunately, I was having trouble getting the light to go off, and while I fussed with it, I suddenly noticed an emergency signal from Steve's light. I looked around, and here Steve is with his reg spat out, signalling "OUT OF AIR". After the requisite thirty second "duh" period, I deployed my primary and began the air share. We completed the drill with me, of course, on my secondary, and then Steve gave me my primary back. I dropped my secondary, and it began to freeflow. It does that sometimes if it's upside-down, so I picked it up and turned it over, and the freeflow continued. I banged it a couple of times against my hand, but nothing changed. I put it in my mouth and exhaled sharply against it, which will often stop the flow, but it didn't. I began to realize that I was losing gas very rapidly, and within a short time, would need something to breathe.

At that point, BOTH of my dive buddies had their long hoses deployed and their regulators available to me. DoubleDip had planned to try turning my valve off and back on, to see if we could get the regulator to behave, but Steve was in a position to see my SPG, and knew I was already below 500 psi from the freeflow, and there wasn't any point trying to get me back on my own air supply. So he waved DoubleDip off, and I went on his long hose, and we did an ascent. It wasn't very well controlled on my part -- turns out the sheer noise and visual impairment from the freeflow is quite distracting -- but it wasn't an uncontrolled bolt for the surface, either. We spent a little time at 20 feet and then went on up. My tank was absolutely, utterly empty before we got to the surface, and we started at about 35 feet.

Of interest, I subsequently tried to do a second dive with a different second stage on that hose, and it bubbled uncontrollably as well. It looked like an IP creep, but they put the first stage on the bench at the shop, and the IP was within tolerance. So it's unclear what the problem is, and the reg is being torn down and serviced tomorrow.

Lessons learned: 1) Equipment malfunctions happen, even if you take care of your stuff and get it serviced regularly.

2) As I intellectually knew, a freeflow empties a tank FAST.

3) It is immensely comforting, when your life support equipment goes south, to be in the company of people who have trained extensively and intensely to be instantly prepared to help in just such circumstances.

4) It is very useful, when such things happen, to have trained YOURSELF to be able to be reasonably calm and cooperative with your helpers as you try to negotiate the emergency.

I started a thread some time back about how many people practice skills on a regular basis. This was a beautiful object lesson in the utility of being instantly prepared to air-share in a circumstance where your buddy is NOT guilty of poor gas management, but the victim of an unpredictable -- and unfixable -- equipment malfunction.

And I have to say that, if you have to have an underwater emergency, doing so four feet from a GUE instructor is as good a place to do it as you can possibly choose!

Glad to hear things went well!! Real-life training. How did you feel during the ascent? Calm? Nervous?

TSandM:
And I have to say that, if you have to have an underwater emergency, doing so four feet from a GUE instructor is as good a place to do it as you can possibly choose!
Glad things turned out well, sounds like good experience. I think I know what happened. You dive so much that you just wore that equipment out. That reg was crying for a rest. :)

Just kidding of course. Thanks for the post.

Willie

Another question: If you had been diving with someone you had not trained with, would you have done anything different?

During the ascent, I think I felt bewildered more than anything else. I had air (lots of it, being attached to Steve's doubles) and I should have just gone back to steady breathing and managing my ascent. After all, NOTHING WAS WRONG AT THAT POINT, except that the regulator under my chin was making a godawful racket and showering me with bubbles. We had all the time in the world to get to the surface, and no emergency any more.

But I'm not that seasoned. I was confused and distracted by the noise and the chaos, and didn't manage my own buoyancy very well at all. I didn't entirely blow it, but Steve had to grab me and "pause" me a couple of times, to give me the time to vent, because I was definitely behind the curve. But I wasn't panicky -- I mean, I wasn't terribly FRIGHTENED at all. I was just kind of overloaded. It would be better a second time, having gone through this one.

I talked to my husband about the second question. One of the things that kept this from being terrifying was that my team members were very close to me, and I knew they would respond appropriately. Had I been 30 feet from Peter in Maui when this happened, I probably would have headed for the surface. In water full of light, with no effective ability to signal my buddy, I would have thought that starting for HIM while the freeflow was running was using up time I could have to get to a dependable air supply -- the surface -- while not being sure I could reach him and attract his attention and get a regulator before the tank ran dry. I was really impressed with how fast that happened today.

Had I been that close to someone else in our water, at the same depth, I would have signalled "OOA" and waited a moment to see if I got an appropriate response. But I wouldn't have waited very long, because I would not have had the absolute, gut level certainty that I was going to get what I needed promptly, from someone who was going to be able to manage his own buoyancy and keep his head straight through the whole incident. It's not so much what school of diving thought, as having independent knowledge of the training that someone has had and the practice they have RECENTLY been doing. I KNEW these guys would come through for me, and they did.

A piece of dialogue from THE EDGE

Charles Morse: You know, I once read an interesting book which said that, uh, most people lost in the wilds, they, they die of shame.
Stephen: What?
Charles Morse: Yeah, see, they die of shame. "What did I do wrong? How could I have gotten myself into this?" And so they sit there and they... die. Because they didn't do the one thing that would save their lives.
Robert Green: And what is that, Charles?
Charles Morse: Thinking.

Well, that's one of the things I'm actually kind of proud of about this -- I kept thinking. I started by trying all the things I know to get the freeflow to stop (except turning off my valve, which I can't do yet). As I was doing those things, I was thinking about flow rates on freeflows, and recognizing that I had very little time before I was going to need somebody else's air supply. But I also knew that I had two people with plenty of air, within arm's reach, and both people knew what the freeflow meant and what they were going to need to do. I took Steve's reg when it was offered, and saw the signal to ascend, which I expected. I just didn't relax and manage my ascent as usual. I guess I shouldn't be too mad at myself. I've been diving less than a year, and this was the first real major problem I've run into. But that's the lesson -- recognize when the acute emergency is past, and then go back to business as usual.

Lynne,
Same thing happened to me a year ago but shallower. One thing it might be is the adjustment of the purge valve - my ATX50 backup sometimes sticks and descending a metre or so fixes it (not that I'm in a habit of going down with it like that but it has happened) of course not descending is also an option too.

As for your ascent, well, you got out ok nice and safe and I bet your buddies were ok about it. Once those bubbles start flowing it's an extra task so you put it down to experience and look forward to the next dive.

Back
Top Bottom