My First Try at Photoshop Elements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not selling myself short, I just know that the method has certain limitations and most of the people who use it aren't aware of them, don't know how to work around them, or don't care because they want a 3-click solution. I'm actually quite flattered that the method has been tried by so many people, and it does work extremely nicely for a small subset of photos. But I can usually spot a mandraked photo a mile away (having created so many myself), and they're not always pleasant to look at.

Some people don't believe in editing because of some idiotic notion that they're 'Photographers' (with a capital P) and that the image creation process stops when they click the shutter, something no professional in the history of photography has ever believed. I'm obviously not one of these people, nor clearly are a number of people in this discussion. Some of us, in fact, spend far more time editing than taking pictures, and get quite a kick out of it. If the mandrake method is an entry-point for such people, then great, but you've also got to understand its shortcomings. So let me give you my philosophy. Take from it whatever you find to be of use.

When you take an ambient light photo underwater, either on purpose or by accident, you'll end up with a photo that is extremely deficient in the red channel, and well defined in the green and blue channels if well-exposed. This MAY reflect the reality of what the scene really looked like, but more likely it doesn't because the camera's white balancing algorithms freaked out and gave you some bizarre color cast when it found out you had no red. There is no decent white-balance setting to prepare your camera to take a picture underwater without it doing something strange, so you have the following options.

1) Take a JPG or TIFF shot anyway and try to overcome the camera's stupid attempt to white-balance in PhotoShop or whatever. This is the usual situation in which the mandrake method has been used. Sometimes it even works.
2) Use external illumination (strobes) -- perfect for some situations, not ideal for others.
3) Take a RAW photo and set your own white balance in the RAW converter. This is the best solution for ambient light shots, doesn't necessarily have to be expensive, but is very time-consuming and eats up a lot of storage space. (I shoot only in RAW anymore.)
4) Manually white-balance your camera with a dive slate. I've seen some fabulous results from this, and others not so hot. The problem is that you're telling your camera that the slate is white, when underwater it really isn't white. Your camera compensates by adding in a lot of red, which can make your water look purplish. This is a good solution for people who don't like editing and decide to make their camera do it for them. Some people combine this with red or magenta filters and it can really work great.

In my opinion anyone who's really serious about photography will shoot RAW and use at least 1 strobe, preferably 2. Not everyone can or wants to do this, and sometimes the strobes don't fire the way you want or your camera settings are wrong and you end up with a jpg or tif that you need to edit yourself. What do you do?

Well that's another long post. Maybe tomorrow.

man do i got a crap load to learn been trying to figure out how to get rid some of the blue and now when i use the auto balance it turns to much stuff red .

Medic...if you're using manual WB, you need to calibrate it often. Especially when changing depths. I do it about every 10 ft.

mandrake:
Personally I use the channel mixer myself. I haven't used the 'mandrake' method for a year or more.

Henceforth it will be called the "Method Formerly Known As Mandrake." It will be represented by a symbol looking like something found on Stargate.

Personally I thought the term "Mandrake Method" had a nice ring to it. I will miss it!

Eli:
Personally I thought the term "Mandrake Method" had a nice ring to it. I will miss it!

:D The problem is it's already referred to a number of different things, none of which I do anymore.

Before I opened my big stupid mouth, I should have realized what an effort it is to put together an example. I tried a particularly annoying image I took a couple of years ago, and ended up never even using channel-mixing, which just simply doesn't work with this photo. It's not a great image, but it is a great example of some of the things I do. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the place:

http://www.pbase.com/dkusner/colorcorrection

Let me know if anything's unclear, or if you think I failed utterly. Enjoy!

By the way, I used PhotoShop CS. Several things there will not work with PhotoShop Elements, even with Lynch's 'Hidden Power of PhotoShop Elements' CD. Sorry.

mandrake:
:D The problem is it's already referred to a number of different things, none of which I do anymore.

Before I opened my big stupid mouth, I should have realized what an effort it is to put together an example. I tried a particularly annoying image I took a couple of years ago, and ended up never even using channel-mixing, which just simply doesn't work with this photo. It's not a great image, but it is a great example of some of the things I do. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the place:

http://www.pbase.com/dkusner/colorcorrection

Let me know if anything's unclear, or if you think I failed utterly. Enjoy!

By the way, I used PhotoShop CS. Several things there will not work with PhotoShop Elements, even with Lynch's 'Hidden Power of PhotoShop Elements' CD. Sorry.

Thanks, your a champ. :wink:
Trying your stuff on a couple of pics now.

Back
Top Bottom