My first table tennis lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've been playing pong with three buddies every Saturday night for over a year. We thought we were pretty good but lately it seemed that we had hit a wall and we just weren't getting any better. So, we decided to start taking lessons... what an eye opening experience. Lesson 1: we learned we have been doing it ALL wrong and that a lifetime of bad habits are in need of fixin'. I'm a little depressed!

My husband tells of a friend who had a ping pong table in a one car garage, there was JUST enough room for the table LOL! They came up with a game called "Wally Pong" where you could bounce the ball off of ANYTHING in the garage as long as it hit the other side of the table :D They used to play that for hours on end.

Good luck breaking your habits!
Ber :lilbunny:

The lessons will pay off....

I have a boss that is big in to table tennis. Plays a couple times a week. Knows where all the clubs are when he goes out of town. Has championship match on tape.

He gets upset when we call it ping pong, so of course, we always do :D

Stephen Ash:
we learned we have been doing it ALL wrong and that a lifetime of bad habits are in need of fixin'. I'm a little depressed!

Nah, you just caught up to rest of the family Big Brother!! :wink:

Stephen Ash:
I've been playing pong with three buddies every Saturday night for over a year. We thought we were pretty good but lately it seemed that we had hit a wall and we just weren't getting any better. So, we decided to start taking lessons... what an eye opening experience. Lesson 1: we learned we have been doing it ALL wrong and that a lifetime of bad habits are in need of fixin'. I'm a little depressed!

Probably because your original instructor was only interested in getting you a Ping Pong C-card and not actually teaching you how to play ping pong well. Probably sold you a bunch of ping pong gear you didn't need yet too, just because he had it in his ping pong shop.

It's because the ping pong standards are so much worse than they used to be.... sigh. It's not about making good ping pong players anymore, it's just about the money.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

Sorry... I just couldn't help myself :D I promise I won't do it again.

No, no, no, it is your table that you want to keep in trim. If the base of your game isn't trimmed out properly, everything else suffers. Now, the balls deserve some attention as well. They should be kept well rounded, so that they bounce reliably. A redundant paddle should be hung around the neck, on a breakaway attachment, so that, if you loose your grip on your primary, it can be deployed before your opponent sends the ball back to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom