My first speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really comes down to personal preference, environment, and prey. I started with a single band Cressi Comanche, then found it wasn’t delivering enough penetration for the big ones, so I got a Cressi Cherokee Ocean with 2 bands... found it STILL wasn’t enough, so I broke down and bought a JBL Woody Magnum three band with 3/4” shafts. Now I’m hunting down fish the size and weight of adult humans without any problems. If hunting humans… I mean, hunting really big human sized fish isn’t your thing, then I think you would be perfectly fine with the regular Cherokee. Here’s an example from a few weeks ago of what I was having trouble shooting with the 1-2 sling guns.

Attachments

• 40E28816-A694-4FFC-8B26-D2091697DC8F.jpeg
    40E28816-A694-4FFC-8B26-D2091697DC8F.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 240
I feel strange telling a gentleman this but: your shaft ain’t as big as you say it is.
It really comes down to personal preference, environment, and prey. I started with a single band Cressi Comanche, then found it wasn’t delivering enough penetration for the big ones, so I got a Cressi Cherokee Ocean with 2 bands... found it STILL wasn’t enough, so I broke down and bought a JBL Woody Magnum three band with 3/4” shafts. Now I’m hunting down fish the size and weight of adult humans without any problems. If hunting humans… I mean, hunting really big human sized fish isn’t your thing, then I think you would be perfectly fine with the regular Cherokee. Here’s an example from a few weeks ago of what I was having trouble shooting with the 1-2 sling guns.

" if you can lift a fish it is referred to as Bait by serious spear fishermen
If you can't lift the fish it has the distinction of having the title of a FISH by serious spearfishermen "

I certainly would like to see a 3/4 inch spear shaft

SDM

This design was later to be used with refinements and spot welding to create the Scubapro speargun trigger mechanism shown below. The cassette based mechanism was used in the Scubapro alloy tracked barrel tube gun and the timber "Safari".
Wally Potts Scubapro 1.JPG

Wally Potts Scubapro 4.JPG

Wally Potts Scubapro 5.JPG

Scubapro 648 (1).JPG

Scubapro 648 (2).JPG

This is a "Safari" gun. The different timbers used in the gun don't work together very well and some stocks had problems with a number of guns scrapped without ever being completed. Single-piece trigger mechanism was limited in band pull as too much and you could not pull the trigger! Some guns were re-equipped with the Potts two-piece trigger mechanism which can be identied by the two pivot pins and that is able to be used with larger band loads.
Scubapro Safari vars R.jpg

Potts two-piece trigger mech.jpg

Wally_Potts_Mechanism_R (760x583).jpg

replaced with a better copy

Wally Potts' design ideas are also used in the late seventies, eighties Scubapro "Panther", this gun had a one-piece stock construction molded in glass-reinforced polypropylene and was only available in two sizes, the 626 and the 636. It bore the trademark deep grip handle and much of the design ideas of its predecessors with pivot pins for the trigger mechanism on the same horizontal line in the sear box, usually they are slightly off-set. The stainless steel levers are sintered and impregnated with molybdenum disulphide grease and have been created in forging dies so that they required next to no post-finishing. The molding dies for the plastic gunstock cost a fortune, that is why there were only the two sizes. When Scubapro got out of spearfishing the gun went to Bandito which still produce the gun, although the side-lettering has changed to "BANDITO" on the stock and it has a new shape for the rubber butt pad. If a 648 had been produced then the gun would be better known today.
Scubapro Panther glass reinforced platic stock.jpg

Scubapro Panther schematic.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom