My first speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottack5

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of research into which gun would work best as my first speargun. I'm currently using an old 8ft aluminum pole spear which I am doing well with in south Florida. However, I would like to upgrade to a gun. My budget is $350 because I don't have much time to spearfish, maybe once or twice a month at the most, and I will be moving farther away from the water in 2 years. Most of my spearfishing will be from shore with the occasional boat trip. I've had dive shops tell me I should try out people's spearguns to see what I like but I don't know anybody who spearfishes.

I read that decent beginner guns are wood Biller and JBL guns but you grow out of them fast. I'm really considering a 110cm Rob Allen Tuna open muzzle because I read that they are durable and last you many seasons.

Any thoughts on this stuff?

I'm on the W. coast of FL and have been spearfishing for a little over a year now. My first gun was an AB Biller 48 special. It's a solid starter gun like you mentioned and is well within your budget. You could pick up a spare shaft and set it up for freeshafting, and I think it would serve you well. If you find yourself outgrowing it later, you could always sell it and upgrade. However, I do know several people who have multiple spearguns, so it wouldn't be unusual for you to have the 48 and later add a 55" track gun. GL

One of the most important aspects of picking the correct speargun for a particular application is to get the right size. You mentioned a 110 cm (RA) gun. That is the exact size I would recommend for shore diving in your area with generally good visibility and a chance to run into a large powerful fish like an amberjack or cobia. So you are definitely on the right track.

Can I suggest that you also consider the MAKO Spearguns Predator Pro 3 Speargun?

It is an excellent gun, has an unconditional 3-yr warranty and has a proven track history of being a reliable and powerful gun. Don't be surprised by our much lower prices, however.

We sell direct, with no retail stores and no retail overhead, so we pass on those savings directly to you.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Predator-Pro-3rd-Generation-Speargun-p/mpp3gr.htm

MPP3GR-2T.jpg

Our sales have been off the charts this season, so we have a turn around of about a week, from when you place the order to shipping. The guns are assembled by our staff in Fredericksburg Virgina and the power bands are hand ties on the day we build the gun, so you know you get the freshest bands possible.

thanks
dano

Dano's @MAKO Spearguns would be my choice

Great gun with a systems approach to up grades and accessories such as reel, camera mount and float system
Some other positives would be the sear close to line of sight, large defined fins and custom tied slings
It gets my vote !

To add validity to my choice of Dano's guns I offer my personal best
My personal best are;
* Yellow tail 27 pounds
* Halibut 38 pounds ( record for one year 1962)
* White sea bass 49 pounds
* Black Sea Bass 345 pounds ( Now protected)
* Lobster 17 pounds ( On display at local dive shop)

Samuel Miller, III

While I'm not a big fan of line guns on scuba, given the currents divers usually experience off S. Florida it makes a lot of sense to go that route and a Mako gun would work well and you'd know you'll have top notch customer service.

If you were on the Gulf coast I would suggest a Biller/Ocean Rhino. I have to disagree with Akimbo on wood guns for scuba. If you eventually went to freeshafting, odds are you'll add one or two spare shafts which makes a gun pretty heavy. I love a good buoyant teak gun that can help counter the weight of three shafts. You just have to remember that if you unload all three and let go of the gun, it's going to the surface. Some ballast in the butt stock is not a bad idea.

@CuzzA
"While I'm not a big fan of line guns on scuba...."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre,
Line guns ?
just a little confused ? perhaps free shafting ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is often stated when serious spearfishermen - and spearfisherwomen gather each will have their vision of the ideal spear gun..
If you have a gathering of 10 you will have ten diffident ideals if you have a gathering of 500 you will have 500 different ideas

What works for a spearfisherman in a given geographic area will possibly not work for others in the same area and certainly not be universally accepted Some areas require long guns others short - some tube others wood.

So there is not a universal spear gun for the US or the world.

However, as a beginner - and possibly long term gun I would highly recommend the @mako Spear guns -- reasonable price, high quality and certainly great customer service

SDM

@Akimbo

@Marie13 CE

@CuzzA
"While I'm not a big fan of line guns on scuba...."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre,
Line guns ?
just a little confused ? perhaps free shafting ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is often stated when serious spearfishermen - and spearfisherwomen gather each will have their vision of the ideal spear gun..
If you have a gathering of 10 you will have ten diffident ideals if you have a gathering of 500 you will have 500 different ideas

What works for a spearfisherman in a given geographic area will possibly not work for others in the same area and certainly not be universally accepted Some areas require long guns others short - some tube others wood.

So there is not a universal spear gun for the US or the world.

However, as a beginner - and possibly long term gun I would highly recommend the @mako Spear guns -- reasonable price, high quality and certainly great customer service

SDM

@Akimbo

@Marie13 CE
Yes. I agree.

In terms of scuba spearfishing I think line shafting generally leads to sloppy marksmanship. At least this tends to be what I see posted on social media and of course it's simply my opinion.

Like I said, in S. Florida with the currents they deal with a diver would lose a lot of fish and shafts if they were freeshafting. On the Gulf coast we don't have current like that so I think freeshafting is not only more efficient, but also forces the diver to be a better shooter.

The OP won't go wrong with a Mako gun in that environment. :wink:

The biggest problem associated with any speargun is the loose nut on the trigger. :D Learning to stalk is far more important than the gun you use. I still have my AB Biller and I agree with the others about not going wrong with Mako.

Back
Top Bottom