My first relatively deep solo dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Doc Harry!

No, no, no.

shudder...
not in bad viz please!

you have to draw the line somewhere.

your depth should match your viz, that is my motto.

My motto is: If I'm qualified to dive it with a buddy, I'll dive it solo.

I love wonderful viz, but it's not always available. I was solo at 104 last weekend and I thought the viz was pretty good at 60 ft. Tomorrow, I'll be happy if I can measure the viz in feet instead of inches, if it's measured in feet and in double digits, I'll be overjoyed.

I was solo at 104 last weekend

I'm a little surprised.

did you feel guilty?

..let's explore this. Were there BULLS in the vicinity? ....oh, thats right!!...you never know in bad VIZ!!

after you go tomorrow, just let us know the distance between the gill slits then, lol.

Don't you hate it when the viz is so bad that you cannot see how long the shark is and have to guess based on the distance between the gill slits?

I'll bet he's talking about a freshwater dive. If not, then DAMN! I don't think I could dive solo, in the ocean, in inches of vis. I done all three, but never all three combined.

FD

fire_diver:
I'll bet he's talking about a freshwater dive. If not, then DAMN! I don't think I could dive solo, in the ocean, in inches of vis. I done all three, but never all three combined.

FD

You know the old saying "out of sight,out of mind" If you can't see the sharks you don't worry about them. Although having a trigger fish sneak up and grab your fin and shake it will catch your attention.

captain:
You know the old saying "out of sight,out of mind" If you can't see the sharks you don't worry about them. Although having a trigger fish sneak up and grab your fin and shake it will catch your attention.
Haha, I bet that would catch my attention even if there was 100 feet of vis and I saw it coming :p
I dont know what trigger fish even looks like, its not exactly tropical waters here..
Although I actually saw in the newspaper that someone caught another swordfish on the west coast..

catherine96821:
I'm a little surprised.

did you feel guilty?

..let's explore this. Were there BULLS in the vicinity? ....oh, thats right!!...you never know in bad VIZ!!

after you go tomorrow, just let us know the distance between the gill slits then, lol.

Don't you hate it when the viz is so bad that you cannot see how long the shark is and have to guess based on the distance between the gill slits?

Why would I feel guilty, Darlin'? Why are you surprised? You know I'll dive solo just about any place I'll dive with a buddy. I didn't see any Bulls, but I did keep an eye out for them. You can also get a pretty good estimate based on the size of their teeth.

fire_diver:

Today's solo dive was a shallow dive in the Gulf of Mexico. I did have 8 feet of visibility, so it was an above average day.

captain:
You know the old saying "out of sight,out of mind" If you can't see the sharks you don't worry about them.

True, but sometimes things bring them to mind. Once I was picking up fossils in about 6 feet of viz when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a very large gray cylinder moving up beside and turning to cross in from of me. I heart was already in my throat by the time I looked up to see my visitor was a manatee.

hmmm, my deepest dive is only 48ft. with great viz. and I was checking my compass often.

Deepest solo so far was 127 ft. Dark as night but with my 50watt light vis was in the area of 10-15 ft. And I've had better in the same spot. I've also been there when if not for the line that lies on the bottom it would have been a PIA as someone earlier had stirred up the bottom- never did see who- and it was closer to 1-2ft. For me a solo dive with proper planning is no different than one with a buddy. Unless it's tech below recreational limits. Have not yet gotten enough experience to feel comfy alone at 150+ regardless of the vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom