My first relatively deep solo dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just a story for y'all.....

Finally got up the nerve to venture solo into deeper waters, now that I've got a dry suit (to deal with the 55 degree water) and double AL80s.

First I went diving in a cove in the lake. Cruising just off the bottom at 50 feet, my mask started fogging. I flooded and cleared it, but it was still fogged.

Then I noticed that I couldn't see my hands - my mask wasn't fogged, the viz was 'bout 6 inches. Just about that time I ran right into a tree trunk. THUNK! About knocked myself out! Kinda freaky being in near-zero viz solo. I think the basin accumulated silt and it just sat there on the bottom.

Next I dove a steep slope in the lake. Got dark at about 60 feet. Following my compass closely in the dark, when all of a sudden my light illuminated a slope that started going up instead of down! ***?

A quick compass check revealed that I had spun 180 degrees in the course of just a few kicks. I had trouble believing my compass. Thought maybe the light battery was throwing it off.

I think I'll start soloing with two compasses, for a cross check.

Doc Harry:

Finally got up the nerve to venture solo into deeper waters, now that I've got a dry suit (to deal with the 55 degree water) and double AL80s.

First I went diving in a cove in the lake. Cruising just off the bottom at 50 feet, my mask started fogging. I flooded and cleared it, but it was still fogged.

Then I noticed that I couldn't see my hands - my mask wasn't fogged, the viz was 'bout 6 inches. Just about that time I ran right into a tree trunk. THUNK! About knocked myself out! Kinda freaky being in near-zero viz solo. I think the basin accumulated silt and it just sat there on the bottom.

Next I dove a steep slope in the lake. Got dark at about 60 feet. Following my compass closely in the dark, when all of a sudden my light illuminated a slope that started going up instead of down! ***?

A quick compass check revealed that I had spun 180 degrees in the course of just a few kicks. I had trouble believing my compass. Thought maybe the light battery was throwing it off.

All I can say...is the feeling of diving solo in less than desirerable conditions is a 'good' rush. Diving solo in zero vis is no different IMO than diving with a buddy in crummy vis....unless you are using a short buddy line. I would keep up your controled progression of experience,,,sounds like your on the track to a better understanding of your own skills and abilities.

Doc Harry:

Yep... that all sounds about right. Compass work is a Black Art not a CookBook
I don't care how good you are. Most of the time I just follow the second hand on my watch. That way once a minute I'm actually going in the right direction.
Go figure though ... Being directionally confused and alone in the dark is somehow more comfortable then being lost in the family car on vacation isn't it ? :wink:

Yep, all that sounds about right. I have to have a 100% visual on my compass or I will veer left in just a few kicks. Being deep, dark and alone is kinda freaky, and give's you a little bit of "maybe I shouldn't be doing this" vibe. If so, then everything is cool. That tiny bit-o-fear keeps you sane and keeps you from doing something REALLY stupid. Deepest I've solo-ed so far is 102ft in TenKiller lake. Vis down that deep is awesome. Just wish I had a HID light to take advantage of it. I plan on visiting the river channel at about 134 (144 with the lake level right now) after I finish ADv nitrox and Deco.

FD

I have done the odd solo dive in Travis.Enjoy it a lot,feels very different.

However,I have decided that I am not interested in doing deep solos at Windy Point. The combination of depth,bad viz and large trees is not a good one.

ianr33:
I have done the odd solo dive in Travis.Enjoy it a lot,feels very different.

However,I have decided that I am not interested in doing deep solos at Windy Point. The combination of depth,bad viz and large trees is not a good one.

What is an 'odd' solo dive..?? :wink:

Timeliner:
Being directionally confused and alone in the dark is somehow more comfortable then being lost in the family car on vacation isn't it ? :wink:

applause.gif

fire_diver:
Deepest I've solo-ed so far is 102ft in TenKiller lake. Vis down that deep is awesome.

Sounds cool, where is it?

Timeliner:
Most of the time I just follow the second hand on my watch. That way once a minute I'm actually going in the right direction.

:rofl3:

Doc Harry!

No, no, no.

shudder...
not in bad viz please!

you have to draw the line somewhere.

your depth should match your viz, that is my motto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom