My first OW certification class review.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, over this past weekend I was able to complete my OW certification. :D Very excited obviously. I have been SCUBA diving in the past. Spent a great deal of time in Hawaii when I was young and have been a free diver for years. (Used to be good at it until I got old and fat) I lost 43 pounds though and set out for certification that my good friend signed us both up for and paid for the same. :cool2: Thanks SirDiver.

The course was held at Blue Water Divers in South OKC. Blue Water Divers OKC The class portion was informative and man do I like these computers. :) The old chart method was always trouble for me. The first pool session was great and the instructors were very precise and methodical about instruction. They certainly seemed experienced at instructing as all bases were covered that I could foresee. I hate wearing contacts BTW. Could not open my eyes under water for fear of losing one. :shakehead: Need Lasik. Second pool session was great. 14 feet deep pool was used and we got quite a bit of buoyancy control testing in on that one. Used a Scuba Pro Nighthawk all along. There were obstacles to go over and under etc down there and it was quite a nice dive after the skills had all been sufficiently completed. One tough part was one student who we will call "Bob" was constantly bumping into others and kicking/flailing about for some reason. :wink:

OW lake dive. Held at Lake Tenkiller in Gore Ok on June 12, and 13th. WOOHOO! Here we go. I Must admit thought that my idea of diving in a lake in Oklahoma sounds rather nasty. However, I was pleasantly surprised. :D On the first morning after a nearly 3 hour drive I meet the whole group for breakfast. Great stuff there. I was assigned "Bob" as a buddy. :confused: Uh... Ok... Cautiously optimistic at this point.

To the dive sight. Bob and I were the first group in the water with our instructor. This instructor was absolutely top notch in my book. In fact, they all were. There were a total of around 6 to 8 instructors with our group at any one time. All with their own pair of buddies with some things being done one on one. My group 1 of the A team was me Bob and Master for that first day. We go over the descent and skills on surface and Bob loses his mask. :shakehead: Uh... 10 minutes to find mask. I thought the diver who found it should have received points toward the search and Recovery credits. :) On descent, all is well that drops well. I was overweighted and had blown out the Zipper on my 5 mill wet suit. DOH!! But was ok. I was still getting used to the Nighthawk though. Had trouble with the valve on the release button getting stuck but did not float too much. Had to use other dump valves. Did not like that BCD really. Descend to 15 feet and the water is rather mirky. Vis around 5 or 6 feet right there. Instructor had gone over no culling/hand swiming etc and be gentle on bottom to avoid stirring up junk. We do our skills. Bob Floats to the top. Ugh!! Instructor goes to get him. Dadgum.... We make our way to some sunken boat wrecks. WOrking on skills and buoyancy all the way. Bob sculls and stirs up everything. Dive time 21 minutes max depth 28 feet. WOOHOO. Vis was 15 or more feet or more out there in the open where the boats were. Nice. :D

Second dive. Again descend to 15 feet on the flag. Mirky. Do skills. Bob jettisons to the top somehow. :confused: Instructor gives me the ok? And a stay sign. I give two big OK's back. I was there alone for what seemed to be an eternity. (2 or 3 minutes) I was fine. Really, I know this is not the normal procedure but dadgum. Poor guy. While alone< had the best time of the trip. Saw a huge Buffalo fish and some big bass. Bob makes it back down. We make our way back to the wreck to work on bouyancy. Viz is not as good now that other divers have been around. We practice the buddy diving with me and bob while instructor hovers above us. Bob sculls into my face and pulls reg out. :confused:. Bob later knocks my mask off. WTF? Despite many stern instructions to avoid such an activity Bob seems not able to hold his arms to himself. Bob floats away again. Instructor makes bob carry rocks in his hand underwater off and on for a few min to show how buoyancy works. When we hit the warm water, I floated up a bit. (Density I presume) Apparently the upper release valve does not work when you are upside down. Hence but dump valve, which I had trouble reaching. In 15 feet of water you don't have much time to figure this out before you "Bob" to the surface. :) Dang. I was pissed at myself. Had done pretty well to that point with buoyancy. I advised the instructor that he had the patience of Jobe and I feel for you.

Day two with Dive 3. 28 Minutes at 34 feet. New instructor. Slightly less experienced but very good as well. We were taught navigation skills on the surface in the parking lot and it was very detailed. Learned a great deal. I advised bob that he must stop the sculling. Dadgumit...

Descend and bob does much better. Although he drops his weights twice. Not much sculling that I could see and he stirred the bottom less. We did more of the buddy work. Saw the underwater bus. WOOOHHOOO!> I swear I saw a watch down there too.

Dive four. We must descend from one point and navigate underwater to the flag. Other teams had not made it yet. We made it right to it. Sweet! Despite pretty nasty vis of around 5 feet. Ugh! Bob did great this dive. We were able to see the whole bus, the plane crash site and everything was clear out to 15 or more feet pretty much. Nice dive. Bob had great buoyancy. All was well. to 39 feet this time with 29 minutes. All done

The instructors were all extremely nice, patient, and thorough. I was extremely impressed. True top notch instructors. However, despite the greatly improved diving of Bob, I will not be getting in touch with him to buddy up.

Thanks for the narrative. I wish I had recorded more of my training in my log book or elsewhere. It's nice to see the positive side of OW training represented on here as well. Best of luck to you.

I was a Bob . . . don't discount somebody's ability to improve!

Great post! Thanks for sharing and congrats! :)

I second the good report on BlueWater in OKC. Very good dive shop. Alan, the Director of Happiness, is great to work with. We had horrific conditions (scraped ice off of car to go dive the morning of our OW cert) and they were very patient and did a great job with my water-averse wife and two sons.

Welcome back to the water SOJ,

I use contacts too (I hate floating on the surface with my mask off and not being able to see the shore) and I have been able to open my eyes underwater, even if only for a few seconds. If I squint than I can hold them open a little longer. The instructor on my last refresher dive was a stickler and took my mask and had me swim to him! All things considered I usually dive in salt water and probably would be opposed to opening my eyes in 5ft visibilty fresh water (a lot of detritus in the water).

I'd rather have a inept buddy than a shoddy instructor. Like you said those few minutes left alone can be bliss!

I was a Bob . . . don't discount somebody's ability to improve!
Never said he couldn't improve just that his struggling was frustrating me a bit. Turned out ok. :blinking:

I second the good report on BlueWater in OKC. Very good dive shop. Alan, the Director of Happiness, is great to work with. We had horrific conditions (scraped ice off of car to go dive the morning of our OW cert) and they were very patient and did a great job with my water-averse wife and two sons.

Great to hear it. In fact, I have spoken with Alan a few times now. Great guy. I am still researching BC's to determine which I want. Might just pick up a SP Nighthawk as it did it's job well. I was the trouble and it was too big for me in a XXL I think. Im 6'0'' and around 245. (Was at 288) I am trying to convince my wife to do the intro to scuba course. She is reluctant.

Welcome back to the water SOJ,

I use contacts too (I hate floating on the surface with my mask off and not being able to see the shore) and I have been able to open my eyes underwater, even if only for a few seconds. If I squint than I can hold them open a little longer. The instructor on my last refresher dive was a stickler and took my mask and had me swim to him! All things considered I usually dive in salt water and probably would be opposed to opening my eyes in 5ft visibilty fresh water (a lot of detritus in the water).

I'd rather have a inept buddy than a shoddy instructor. Like you said those few minutes left alone can be bliss!

Yes, I can squint if necessary. However, I like to avoid it. Salt water is ok. Sand is not and Chlorine seems to ruin the contacts for some reason. Glad they let me to the eyes shut thing. :D

Thanks for the replys.

Hey SOJ!
That is some funny sh*t! It had me rolling out of my chair. Thanks for the narrative!

Great to hear it. In fact, I have spoken with Alan a few times now. Great guy. I am still researching BC's to determine which I want. Might just pick up a SP Nighthawk as it did it's job well. I was the trouble and it was too big for me in a XXL I think. Im 6'0'' and around 245. (Was at 288) I am trying to convince my wife to do the intro to scuba course. She is reluctant.

BlueWaterOKC is now carrying DIR style BCs now so that may be a better option for you.

My wife is a west texas farm girl and I never thought I'd get her into scuba. But I convinced her to get her OW cert and then we went to Bonaire for our 20th anniversary. My wife hates water! Won't go swimming in the heat of summer.

I won't tell you that she "fell in love" with scuba diving but she is VERY glad that she got certified and really loved the diving in Bonaire.

Now I will tell you, if she is not into it and seeing the ocean is not an attractant, then scuba just might not be for her. My wife used to be a science teacher and the creatures of the sea have always intrigued her so she had some motivation.

If you aren't going to go to clear blue salt water to dive with her, I'm not sure if lake diving is the best way to get her into the sport. It's cold, murky, and there's not a lot to see unless you are pretty motivated. But my wife, who hates being cold more than she hates getting wet, did her final certification dives in Lake Tenkiller in October on a morning when we had to scrape ice off the windows of the car to drive from our hotel in Gore to the lake! It was butt cold and windy. Just miserable. And she also had an accidental rapid ascent on one dive and ruptured her eardrum. But she toughed it out, got all of her skills done, and is very glad she was able to dive in Bonaire.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for someone that is hesitant about scuba, the only way they are going to get past that is if there is a stronger motivation that makes them want to do it. So you'll need a good carrot! (You can find the pictures I took on our trip here: http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/116771/413136.html?1268528568

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom