My First Near OOA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevindwhite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had my first near out of air experience on a recent dive of Santa Cruz island. I was diving with a new buddy, this was our second dive together, in cold kelp infested water. The dive plan was quite simple: descend to the bottom, 30ft, head toward shore until you encounter structure, explore, return. Visibility was 20 - 30 feet. This was my second dive in these conditions. While I had no anxiety about the cold or the kelp I was by no means experienced.

My buddy, who is a PADI instructor, was really leading the dive. He wanted to lobster hunt while I just wanted to watch. We stayed together through most of the dive but communicated little. About 20 minutes in I felt my air was getting on the low side, 1200 psi, and started signaling a desire to turn around and head toward the boat. My buddy agreed and we started a reciprocal back to the boat. That was the first mistake. We should have surfaced, made visual contact with the boat, communicated, and confirmed our heading and distance.

Because we dove toward shore, that's where the lobsters are, we were fighting surge and waves the whole way back. I was not used to this as I had always planned my dives to avoid current on the return. My consumption skyrocketed. Wasn't long before I had dipped below 1000 without much progress toward the boat. I signaled 900 & boat to my buddy and got okay back. That's when my buddy promptly started to inspect a ledge for lobster. I should have left him there. That was second mistake. Instead I waited until my air dropped to 700.

At 700 psi I started having trouble staying down. I was under weighted and didn't realize it. Rather than try to stay down with a buddy who had clearly lost interest in me I began my ascent. Once on the surface I fully inflated my wing and checked for the boat. I was down to 500 psi and had 200 feet of current and kelp between me and the boat. I made contact with the crew and signaled for an assist. I could have probably done a surface swim around the kelp and made it to the swim step unassisted but mentally I was done. Instead I waited for the safety diver to come and drag my ass back to the boat.

By the time my knees hit the swim step I was down to 300 psi but out of danger. My buddy still hadn't surfaced. I told the crew what had happened, dragged my ass to the bench and began shedding my gear. My buddy hit the swim step just as I dropped my weight belt.

Once onboard my buddy asked me what happened. I told him I was low on air and couldn't get his attention. He said I should have ditched him sooner. He was right but I still wanted to beat him with my weight belt.

Good to read that you got out without trouble, I have no experience diving in kelp, but I think that you were not in real danger (500 psi at 30 ft can last a lot) however, here are my two psi:

1.- If you are not comfortable with a dive, give your buddy the thumbs up and ascend. (My rule is to never recriminate a thumbed up dive).
2.- If possible, avoid getting alone, specially if you are not very experienced.
3.- IF you must surface and your buddy is reluctant to surface with you you should do two things: a) be sure that your buddy knows that you are going up, and b) find another buddy for your next dives.

The way I see it, when I dive with someone, I'm responsible for my buddy and for myself, perhaps someday I'll be prepared enough to dive solo, but if I'm diving with a buddy I'm part of a team, and I expect the same from my buddy.

You say your buddy is an istructor, however, he failed to see the stress signs in you, and instead of following the re-designed plan of going back to the boat, he was stubborn and tried to hunt for more lobsters, even more, if he knew that you are not an experienced diver and that you are not familiar with the dive conditions (i'm gessing he knew, maybe he didn't knew) he should be more aware of you.

I agree! I'm not liking your buddy!

While I'll admit your buddy was a sh_thead, you were far from OOA.
In 30 fsw you can suck a cylinder down to the point where it collapses like a beer can.....LOL
Seriously, I've dive cylinders down to less than 50psi in water that shallow.
Just make sure your SPG is dead on balls accurate.

Good to read that you got out without trouble, I have no experience diving in kelp, but I think that you were not in real danger (500 psi at 30 ft can last a lot) however, here are my two psi:

On the contrary Kelp can be a real problem. Just this Sunday was talking with a friend who said he saw two divers swim past and about 5 minutes later came upon a woman stuck and struggling in kelp. It was only 28 feet of water, but enough for a disaster to have occurred had he and his buddy not shown up!

1.- If you are not comfortable with a dive, give your buddy the thumbs up and ascend. (My rule is to never recriminate a thumbed up dive).
2.- If possible, avoid getting alone, specially if you are not very experienced.
3.- IF you must surface and your buddy is reluctant to surface with you you should do two things: a) be sure that your buddy knows that you are going up, and b) find another buddy for your next dives.

What he said!!

The way I see it, when I dive with someone, I'm responsible for my buddy and for myself, perhaps someday I'll be prepared enough to dive solo, but if I'm diving with a buddy I'm part of a team, and I expect the same from my buddy.

I was with Bob Sherwood Sunday and he said something that stuck with me: "Keep your eye on the prize. And the prize is your buddy because you may her and she may need you. I don't want to have to be the one that makes that phone call, "I'm sorry I thought he was right there."

You say your buddy is an istructor, however, he failed to see the stress signs in you, and instead of following the re-designed plan of going back to the boat, he was stubborn and tried to hunt for more lobsters, even more, if he knew that you are not an experienced diver and that you are not familiar with the dive conditions (i'm gessing he knew, maybe he didn't knew) he should be more aware of you.

Situational awareness and buddy awareness!

Sorry this happened, but now you know to be in more control of your dive. If your buddy is more concerned about lobster than you, well I will let you decide.

Glad your OK and the thread is titled 'Near OOA' instead of 'My OOA'

Since part of the problem was with weighting, how did your first dive go towards the end? Were you positive?

My buddy agreed and we started a reciprocal back to the boat. That was the first mistake.
We should have surfaced, made visual contact with the boat, communicated, and confirmed our heading and distance.
Were you clear of the kelp at that time? My concern would be comming up into the kelp canopy where entanglement is easier.
I had to rescue another diver the week prior for doing exactly that.

Just from what you stated I would suspect your signaling 900 and boat was taken as I have 900 and I'm going back to the boat.
Not a good call IMHO on your buddies part. Should have stuck with you until you were on the swim step or at least in open water with the eye of the DM upon you.
If they had air they could go solo or team up with another group.

He was right but I still wanted to beat him with my weight belt.
Was that with or without weights attached?

I had my first near out of air experience on a recent dive of Santa Cruz island. I was diving with a new buddy, this was our second dive together, in cold kelp infested water. The dive plan was quite simple: descend to the bottom, 30ft, head toward shore until you encounter structure, explore, return. Visibility was 20 - 30 feet. This was my second dive in these conditions. While I had no anxiety about the cold or the kelp I was by no means experienced.

My buddy, who is a PADI instructor, was really leading the dive. He wanted to lobster hunt while I just wanted to watch. We stayed together through most of the dive but communicated little. About 20 minutes in I felt my air was getting on the low side, 1200 psi, and started signaling a desire to turn around and head toward the boat. My buddy agreed and we started a reciprocal back to the boat. That was the first mistake. We should have surfaced, made visual contact with the boat, communicated, and confirmed our heading and distance.

Because we dove toward shore, that's where the lobsters are, we were fighting surge and waves the whole way back. I was not used to this as I had always planned my dives to avoid current on the return. My consumption skyrocketed. Wasn't long before I had dipped below 1000 without much progress toward the boat. I signaled 900 & boat to my buddy and got okay back. That's when my buddy promptly started to inspect a ledge for lobster. I should have left him there. That was second mistake. Instead I waited until my air dropped to 700.

At 700 psi I started having trouble staying down. I was under weighted and didn't realize it. Rather than try to stay down with a buddy who had clearly lost interest in me I began my ascent. Once on the surface I fully inflated my wing and checked for the boat. I was down to 500 psi and had 200 feet of current and kelp between me and the boat. I made contact with the crew and signaled for an assist. I could have probably done a surface swim around the kelp and made it to the swim step unassisted but mentally I was done. Instead I waited for the safety diver to come and drag my ass back to the boat.

By the time my knees hit the swim step I was down to 300 psi but out of danger. My buddy still hadn't surfaced. I told the crew what had happened, dragged my ass to the bench and began shedding my gear. My buddy hit the swim step just as I dropped my weight belt.

Once onboard my buddy asked me what happened. I told him I was low on air and couldn't get his attention. He said I should have ditched him sooner. He was right but I still wanted to beat him with my weight belt.

Thanks, Kevin - I think the hardest thing I ever learned was to thumb the dive, whether my buddy wanted to or not.

I'm glad the OP is fine, but based on what he wrote, I think he is putting too much blame on his buddy ("He was right but I still wanted to beat him with my weight belt."). His buddy responded well when the OP indicated that he wanted to return to the boat. As mentioned by Scott, the buddy probably just misunderstood him. Instead of just waiting after that (or leaving him), the OP should have gotten the attention of the buddy sooner to make it clearer what the situation was.

Some suggestions: when being paired up with an insta-buddy, make sure they are aware of your experience and comfort level. If you need them to stay close and be more aware of your situation, let them know that. Never make assumptions of what you think your insta-buddy knows or does not know, even if they are a DM/instructor/etc. Over-communicate. :)

Ultimately this was a great lesson, since nothing really bad happened, in dive planning with an unfamiliar buddy.

Do not buddy with a lobster diver or spear-fisher unless you are a solo diver. The focus is on the hunt and, assuming you can move fast enough to maintain contact, unless you grab his vest and drag him to the surface your chances of catching his attention is nill. Not saying its right, just saying.

My buddy and I start together when hunting...... If someone else wants to buddy I make it crystal clear that this is how I lobster dive and if it does not suit them, we can buddy on a different type of dive when more of my attention can be on them.

Kelp can be a problem if you are not used to dealing with it, so if you are not used to it keep plenty of reserve air to swim underneath it and take visuals to the boat if you are not real good with the compass.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Glad your OK and the thread is titled 'Near OOA' instead of 'My OOA'

Since part of the problem was with weighting, how did your first dive go towards the end? Were you positive?

Our first dive ended with me at 1200 psi and still negative. We called the dive a little early because there wasn't any structure to hide lobster. It was all sand.

After this second dive I added an extra 4lbs and was fine. I also insisted from that point on that when I hit 1000 psi it was time to go back to the boat, period. Not insisting on a clear rule like this before getting in the water was my biggest mistake.

Were you clear of the kelp at that time? My concern would be comming up into the kelp canopy where entanglement is easier.

I do not recall if we were clear at the time but there were plenty of clear spots. It would not have taken much of a swim to find a clearing sufficiently large to surface safely for a visual check on the boat.

Just from what you stated I would suspect your signaling 900 and boat was taken as I have 900 and I'm going back to the boat.

Possible but not likely. I did get an acknowledgment followed by a compas check and tandem swim on a reciprocal heading. So we started out heading back together. I think my buddy was just more focused on hunting than diving.

Should have stuck with you until you were on the swim step or at least in open water with the eye of the DM upon you.
If they had air they could go solo or team up with another group.

That's pretty much what happened on every other dive. I would call the dive when I hit 1000. We tandem swam back to the boat. Once we were at the swim step my buddy would then make the decision to either continue solo or come aboard.

Was that with or without weights attached?

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom