My First Lionfish Sting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Along the same lines of the "My first lionfish meal" thread.

I got to experience my first lionfish sting last week. Let's just say it's not a very pleasant experience but it is not the end of the world. Pain maybe lasted around 2-3 hours. As with any sting, the pain varies on the person and their reaction and I'm sure the amount of venom and the severity of the sting.

It happened 10 minutes into my 2nd dive so I completed the majority of my dive with pain in my hand but I didnt cancel the dive. I didnt feel the need. I didnt say this just to be macho but just to say that if you do get stung, don't panic. If you're not the type of person to have severe allergic reactions then you most likely don't have anything to worry about. (I know most people don't know if they react until it happens but in my case I knew I was fine). I know for me I was able to complete the dive, even with the discomfort. Panicking would only lead to more problems or rapidly depleting air.

Hot water definitely helps for the envenomation; I can attest to that. I believe this is the DAN recommended treatment as well. After soaking my hand in water as hot as I could stand for about an hour the majority of the pain completely went away leaving on the swelling. Lionfish venom contains many heat labile proteins, and heat will breakdown these proteins. I dove the next day fine without any issues. About 4-5 days later, everything was fine. The swelling went away completely.

I just wanted to say that the reason I got stung was my own fault and I knew very well what the risk were. We were purposely hunting/spearing lionfish outside the marine park and I was in the process of cutting the venomous spines off one when this occurred. Lionfish are not normally aggressive and their spines are for defensive purposes. Unless you happen to land on one or stick your hand on one you are not likely to be stung.

The day before, prior to being stung we had a lionfish fest after spearing around 18 of them. Wet Wendy's was kind of enough to prepare them in many different ways for a great price. lionfish vera cruz, fried lionfish, lionfish with garlic, blackened lionfish, an lionfish ceviche. The options are endless and very tasty. I think my favorite is just plain old fried and breaded lionfish.

One tip if you do get stung, the hot water from the boat exhaust will help tremendously if you're far from land or the boat doesn't have another hot water source.

Along the same lines of the "My first lionfish meal" thread.

I got to experience my first lionfish sting last week. Let's just say it's not a very pleasant experience but it is not the end of the world. Pain maybe lasted around 2-3 hours. As with any sting, the pain varies on the person and their reaction and I'm sure the amount of venom and the severity of the sting.

It happened 10 minutes into my 2nd dive so I completed the majority of my dive with pain in my hand but I didnt cancel the dive. I didnt feel the need. I didnt say this just to be macho but just to say that if you do get stung, don't panic. If you're not the type of person to have severe allergic reactions then you most likely don't have anything to worry about. (I know most people don't know if they react until it happens but in my case I knew I was fine). I know for me I was able to complete the dive, even with the discomfort. Panicking would only lead to more problems or rapidly depleting air.

Hot water definitely helps for the envenomation; I can attest to that. I believe this is the DAN recommended treatment as well. After soaking my hand in water as hot as I could stand for about an hour the majority of the pain completely went away leaving on the swelling. Lionfish venom contains many heat labile proteins, and heat will breakdown these proteins. I dove the next day fine without any issues. About 4-5 days later, everything was fine. The swelling went away completely.

I just wanted to say that the reason I got stung was my own fault and I knew very well what the risk were. We were purposely hunting/spearing lionfish outside the marine park and I was in the process of cutting the venomous spines off one when this occurred. Lionfish are not normally aggressive and their spines are for defensive purposes. Unless you happen to land on one or stick your hand on one you are not likely to be stung.

The day before, prior to being stung we had a lionfish fest after spearing around 18 of them. Wet Wendy's was kind of enough to prepare them in many different ways for a great price. lionfish vera cruz, fried lionfish, lionfish with garlic, blackened lionfish, an lionfish ceviche. The options are endless and very tasty. I think my favorite is just plain old fried and breaded lionfish.

One tip if you do get stung, the hot water from the boat exhaust will help tremendously if you're far from land or the boat doesn't have another hot water source.
I had a larger one on my small lion tamer that almost got me because I missed the head shot and while fighting to free itself, it was sliding up the shaft towards my hand. I decided a sting wasn't worth it so I let it get away. I wonder if it lived with a small hole right through the center of its body?

As for the rest of your post, stop it! You're making me hungry!:shocked2:

I had a larger one on my small lion tamer that almost got me because I missed the head shot and while fighting to free itself, it was sliding up the shaft towards my hand. I decided a sting wasn't worth it so I let it get away. I wonder if it lived with a small hole right through the center of its body?

As for the rest of your post, stop it! You're making me hungry!:shocked2:

They seem like surprisingly resilient bastards. Some of the ones I had speared had gotten off the spear and I had to re-spear them again! I think if you aim for the head or gill area they would probably eventually die but I definitely wondered too..

They seem like surprisingly resilient bastards. Some of the ones I had speared had gotten off the spear and I had to re-spear them again! I think if you aim for the head or gill area they would probably eventually die but I definitely wondered too..
I killed a bunch of them on the first try with a well placed head shot, but this bastard moved at the last second. He wasn't going down without a fight!

Most of the ones I have shot have wiggled a little after hitting them except one. I had one playing hide and go seek with me, I was waiting for him to pop his head out and when he did I shot him right in the center of his head and the spear came out right next to his tail. Needless to say he didn't squirm at all.
Yes and please stop you are making me hungry!

And I thought El Pique and Sol was what took your pain away:D

Mostly the Sol and lots of it. El Pique certainly helped though.

Now I have different set of creatures to contend with back in Boston. Nothing like sticking your hand in a hole and having a lobster try to break off your finger.

Mostly the Sol and lots of it. El Pique certainly helped though.

Now I have different set of creatures to contend with back in Boston. Nothing like sticking your hand in a hole and having a lobster try to break off your finger.

I dunno: whole finger or broken finger with New England lobster attached....... Does it include butter?

Hi Mike!
Got a little sting today. Used the chew-on-the-thumb method and didn't even need the hot water. Guess it was an empathy sting - on my thumb?

Haven't had the crowd to go back out for the big ones much... Maybe tomorrow morning. It's my last change for this trip. :crying:

Mmmmmmmm... Lobster.... Butter.....

You forgot the mystery face stinging who-knows-what you had to contend with last Friday night :mooner: The ocean is a very dangerous place for you Mike!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom