My first FG trip on the Spree coming up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knobber

Registered
Reaction score
Sept 20th trip. Anyone have any hints, tips, or pointers I should know about, or things I need to make sure to check out? I'll also be doing my AOW, so I'm pretty pumped about it!

Hi Knobber,

I'll be on the same trip. However, at this point I don't know which boat I'll be on. Since you'll be doing your AOW, your instructor should be able to provide you with a very complete list of needed equipment, etc., time to arrive and how to get there. I'll be glad to answer additional questions in the unlikely event that you can not get them from the LDS or instructor, Regards--

If you're prone to sea sickness, visit your doctor and ask for a prescription for the Scopolomine(sp?) patches.

As TwoBit and Texass know, I can get pretty green around the gills on the FG trips. But the Scopo patches usually do a good job keeping me from visiting the rail all the time.

One of the best tips is also emphasized in their briefings... stay well hydrated. During the surface intervals, keep drinking water and shoot for 1-2 of their cups of water between dives. This helps with your diving in many respects.

If you're on the Spree, be sure to challenge Capt. Frank to the card/board game he developed. It's lots of fun.

Do Nitrox certification (in stead or in addition to AOW). FGB is much better on EAN32. (Less tiring, safer, & more bottom time.

Wear gloves for the anchor lines (they are your friend but they are alive).

Listen to briefings & use your compass.

about diving from boats, pay particular attention to briefing on reboarding and the LoD (Ladders of Death).

I know of two people who have been injured in high seas at the ladders...broken sternum and dislocated shoulder.

It's not rocket science, but it does take timing and some common sense. The boat crew knows how to get you back onboard safely, just listen to their instructions.

And like the others noted, drink lots of water, even if you're not thirsty...

hey guys, thanks for the help. I AM prone to seasickness, so I'll definitely check into the patches. I hear that can make a fun trip out there miserable. I have the nitrox certification, so I figure AOW is next; and I've been warned about getting gloves, so I'm on it. Keep 'm coming!

But where do I sign up for the insurance regarding getting my money back if there are no single women on the trip?

Knobber:

Yea, the ladder can be tough. Sometimes, not often, a diver will lose his grip and fall back into the water. One does not want to be lurking too close, just in case...

If you are not a member of DAN become one.

Chopper transport alone is 7K.

Bottom bunks are your friend.

Bring a dive light, a secondary and a tank light.

Put all your required gear in a boat bag. It takes up less room. Space is a premium.

Be ready to be in the water when they say pool's open. They run a really tight schedule.

Best wishes for calm seas and no currents or surge.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn once bubbled...

Bottom bunks are your friend.

Bring a dive light, a secondary and a tank light.

TwoBit

With a risk of seasickness, I would avoid the forward section bunks and go for the midship section. Forward section is through the galley, dining area & wheelroom, midship section is just past the galley (but before the tables), to the right & down the ladder. That puts you in a larger room with about eight bunks. Smaller 4 bunk rooms with curtains are directly across from the ladder with more up the hall to the right (take a look at the layout on their website). I suggest the lower bunks to the left of the ladder these are closest to midship and should be the most stable. (I tend to grab #14 to the right of the ladder which is very convenient for us older folks especially when we try to stay well hydrated.) I'm not sure whether then lenghwise or widthwise bunks are better for sickness - maybe someone else knows.

Your main light needs to be of reasonable size. They require 4-cell or larger. AA lights for backup only.

(Hmm...the title of this reminds me of a WWII POW movie)

I was in Bunk 14 on my trip. Awap is right, it's right next to the ladder (convenient for trips to the head and if you forget something in your bunk area you want on the dive). And it did put my head closest to the center line of the boat.

TwoBit got a good spot on his bunk across the way where it was exactly on the center line of the boat. But I don't know which number it was. The only downside of it was that the engine room is on the otherside of that bulkhead. (but at least this trip, he didn't complain about my snoring!)

The "rooms of 4" bunks to the right of the bottom of the ladder are the farthest from the engine room and can be a bit quieter.

One other major but simple tip for the weekend trips is to head for bed as soon as you have your post night dive snack and drink your cup of water. Plenty of rest can make a difference on how you feel on Sunday, and not all of us have Divemaster Melanie's energy to start before sunrise and go 110% until well after sundown. Even with the longer surface intervals and EAN32, the N2 loading of a five dive Saturday schedule may tax your system and wear you out (your mileage will vary). It did me.

The advice about the ladders is good. The thing I'll repeat is to be patient. Both the Fling and Spree rig tag lines that float to the bottom rung of the ladder. When that line is clear, head toward the middle portion and grab on. With a firm grip, take your time removing your fins and slipping the straps over your wrists. Then watch the timing of the ladder motion and when things look fairly calm, make your move to grab the handrails and put your feet on the bottom rung. Compose yourself for a second or two and scramble on up. If someone is already on the ladder, hang out on the tag line until they're clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom