My first experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your welcome, too bad no one else is popping in to give their viewpoints - maybe they are all off diving! LOL

Anyway... fyi you can type into google images 'Shallow Depth of Field' and it will show you lots of examples. But essentially here is how I would define it... take a yard stick and hold it out in front of you with your camera at one end. Set an item at the 24 inch mark and the 36 inch mark. If both items are in focus then I would consider that a large depth of field. If just the 24 inch item is in focus and and the 36 inch item is really blurry then I would call that a shallow depth of field. It can be seen on a larger scale for example, you have a mountain range behind a person smiling at the camera. If both the mountains and person are in focus then it is a large depth of field. If the person is in focus and the the mountains are all blurry then it would be a shallow depth of field.

In your particular case, maybe the octopus eye is really sharp and the rest of the image in the foreground and background is blurry. Or maybe with the shrimp, only the head is in focus and the rest of the body is blurry. Hopefully that helps!

Back
Top Bottom