My First Diving Suit for British and Irish Waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronanm98

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to sport and I am looking for advice on purchasing my first diving suit, I am returning to Ireland from the USA soon for good and hope to dive there.

The water temperature varies between 7 degree celius (about 44 degree fahreinheit) to 14 degree celius ( 58 degrees fahreinheit).

Any ideas for wetsuit (weight!) , semi-dry or drysuit? Any recommendations on make/choice...etc.

Thanks Ro.

Hi Ronan

Currently I dive in Ireland and can let you know what most people seem to wear here.

Proper semi dry suits don't seem to exist - most people tend to go with a 7mm two piece wetsuit with improved wrist/ankle seals, and with the hood built in sealing onto the face. You can buy them here or have them made for E300 onwards.

I think they get fairly wet in them though, depends a lot on fit. I haven't seen anyone wearing a proper one piece semi dry. If you planned on getting one of those, get it before you come back.

Drysuits really are the way to go in this country especailly for multi dive days - whether membrane or neoprane seems to be personal preference. The Membranes may be more comfortable especially in summer when it does get a bit warm. You might have some luck with a second hand drysuit.

When I was buying, I was advised to start off with the wetsuit and then buy a second hand drysuit. The thinking was that the wetsuit was less investment in case you didn't take to it and you'll always have it as back up anyway even if you do buy a drysuit later on. I didn't bother with the wetsuit as I knew I wanted a drysuit. It's so much less hassle with changing in between and after dives - means you don't get cold.

Any questions about clubs etc let me know! Where are you moving to in Ireland.

Hi Annie,

Thanks for the info, I am returning after taking a year out over here in the states and will be returning to Donegal. I am from Dublin.

I started in Donegal doing CMAS thru a college there but can never seem to finish it as it's spread out too much. I was thinking of doing the Padi course.

A lot of the students in club have wetsuits, I was recommended by one of the teacher's to get a semi-dry.

He has a drysuit but says that you need to have special training for use of it, is that true.

In regards to the suits, I can get a pretty good deal here in the USA thru a friend who works for a company called Henderson.

Have a look at their website; www.hendersonusa.com.

I can get a 7mm two piece farmer john (GOLD CORE
STEP-IN COMBO) for $206 approx or 7mm Full Core Combo for $236 apprx.

They also do a semi-dry - GOLD CORE
Semi-DRY SUIT, it's on the same page, zip is across the sternum and has attached hood. it's approx $197. Have a look

www.hendersonusa.com/product_goldcore.html#

Finally, their Artic Dry 2 drysuit which is made of neoprene, cost to me would be $343 approx. Have a look: www.hendersonusa.com/product_neoprene.html

Semidry is featured there also.

Hope you can help me somewhat, thanks for your time.

I look forward to hearing from you, Ronan.

Hi Ronan

I'm from Donegal . . .I don't suppose you'll end up anywhere near Bundoran will you?

I know what you mean about CFT / CMAS here, it definitely takes the long term view. But so long as they let you dive while you're training it doesn't matter does it? PADI cert is good to have in any case.

You have to go semi dry for these waters. O' Dare in Bray is the main supplier but I can't find them on the web. You're probably as well off getting wot you can from Hendersons just make sure it's the 7mm. I think the Henderson step in combo you're looking at is a wetsuit - no good for here.

Drysuits are great, there is training involved but it's not difficult. They're a bit more cumbersome but I feel they're a necessity in this climate. It's personal preference really. I picked up a 2nd hand drysuit for E250. Don't have to change! great :)

:D I would definitely recommend diving in a drysuit. Most of my diving is in the Uk (apart from the odd holiday to more tropical climes) and I wouldn't be without mine. I learnt to dive in a semi-dry and vowed never to wear one ever again. It's all down to personal preference, of course, by I really feel the cold and when you're in a semi-dry you're ok in the water, but as soon as you get out you just can't seem to get warm because you're wet. And the things are so hard to get on and off!

Most important thing if you're thinking of getting a drysuit is the fit. I bought one just after I'd done my Open Water and didn't really know much about how they were supposed to fit. Consequently, I've now ditched it in favour of an Oceanic Aerdura (the suit used by the Royal Navy). I had real problems putting my fins on and found it almost impossible climbing onto the RIB. The Aerdura is great - really comfy, flexible and strong (it's cordura and is made up of 14 layers, including some titanium).

Next most important thing is your choice of undersuit (if you're going for a membrane drysuit - they're not necessary with neoprene ones, but I've never used them so can't comment). I've got a Weezle Extreme. It's REALLY warm and easy to move around in. Some undersuits are really stiff and uncomfortable. Just remember that they're not meant to be flattering - I look like a beached whale in mine!

If you need any more help let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom