My first D2X UW photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30:
Yes, so far so good. The resolution is excellent and the camera seems to handle highlight area extremely well. Although I heard the Fuji S3 may be a bit better in that respect.
My big problem now is that when I have bad photos, I won't be able to blame the camera as readily now :(

lol, for my own sanity, please double check and triple check the oring seals on the housing before each dive. And I would be really interested in seeing shots taken with your 10.5 mm wideangle, I have a feeling that the 10.5mm was made for the D2X. Macros are ok its the sharp focusing on the close focus/wideangle that the PS are limited on, due to the PS non removable zoom lens and not so wide lens angles.

Dive Safe

Yep, O ring checked and double checked, however the best security is definitely the flood insurance. I have not tried the 10.5 mm yet but that lens is so wide that unless I know there is a whaleshark or something big in the water....
I had problem getting the 12-24mm to work well with small domeport in the past (unlike the 10.5mm) but now with the big Subal FE02 dome, the 12-24mm works really well with no need for diopter and it can focus down to inches away from the dome with very little cornor softness. All the wide angle shots were taken with 12-24mm on this trip and all the macro shots on 70-180mm. Lembeh trip next month will be pretty much 100% macro since that's what it is known for. I think we might have one day in Bunaken which has some nice wall diving so I might have some opportunity for wide angle shot as well, we will see.
I plan to get 4 GB card before my next trip as I figure that the battery would last several hundred shots so 4 GB card should last me 2-3 dives, so the less need to open the housing, the better the chance the camera will survive :)

I also have to add that Subal design is excellent. It is pretty much impossible to close the housing when the o-ring is not seated properly. Just need to make sure that there is no hair/dust on the o-ring and that's about it. I almost said idiot proof for flooding but think that I better hold off the opinion just in case I flood mine :D

ssra30:
The GS viewfinder took some getting use to. If you look through it exactly right, the viewfiner is huge, you can see everything including all the status display easily. However if I am bit off axis,
I could not see anything at all. After a few dives, I probably get the viewfinder in the axis right off the bat about 80% of the time but will need a bit more practice to be comfortable with it.
However when it is right, it is very very handy.

You put the 'shade' on the viewfinder right? They don't mention it, but if you don't put the shade on, the viewfinder doesn't work properly. I made that mistake on my first dive. The shade also seems to guide your head into the right position as well.

M

Marriard:
You put the 'shade' on the viewfinder right? They don't mention it, but if you don't put the shade on, the viewfinder doesn't work properly. I made that mistake on my first dive. The shade also seems to guide your head into the right position as well.

M
Yes, I have the shade on. That helps a bit more but may be partially because of my eyesight + prescription lens, that might make it a bit trickier to find sweetspot for the view finder as well.
I found that I often squish the shade thingy up against my mask anyhow. I guess my hand/eye/mask coordination is not the greatest :)

Hey Boi, sounds like you are having lots of trouble with it, best send it down to me....:)

Mike Veitch:
Hey Boi, sounds like you are having lots of trouble with it, best send it down to me....:)

Yeah Mike, keep wishing real hard and I am sure it will happen :D
I'll glue the GS viewfinder to my mask before you can pry it off my hands.

Enjoyed the pics - looking forward to your posts after your trip too.

ssra30:
Here are a couple more:
nudi.jpg

anemonefish.jpg

I like those, and I bet you can print them HUGE!!!

From everything I've seen the D2x is about the best 35mm type DSLR going...

You're lucky to have such equipment available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom