My first computer- advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrist(on right wrist): frees up left hand to operate bcd during ascent and to cover head when breaching surface, you can use it with rental gear if you have to.

Air integration: No, you have a spg on your console, just check occasionally, add cost and complexity.

Other features: nitrox, if you think you Might ever do it. Audible alarms. Backlight or lumenescent dial.

Recommend: Oceanic Veo 180 (cheapest) meets all above, but alarm is quiet. Suunto Gekko A little more expensive, but louder, slightly harder to use. Aeris XR-2, slightly more expensive.

1. Wrist or console? Wrist definately
  2. Air integrated, or no? Depends on you, I have it and love it but I dont use it for my Tech diving
  3. Is there such thing as a wrist air integrated? Yes both Suunto and Uwatec do wrist mounted Air Intergrated Computers
  4. Any suggested brand(s)? My personal choice for Single cylinder use would be the Suunto Vytec and you can always add a transmitter for Air Intergrated at a later date when finances allow
  5. Any brand(s) I should avoid? I wouldnt recommend Uwatec as the battery isnt user replaceable so has to be returned to the factory to be done.
  6. Price may be an issue. ANy advice on low cost computers? If you dont want go the air intergrated route I would serioulsy look at the Suunto Vyper 2

Another thing to think about though is depending how long you have been diving do you have any ideas about which direction you want to take with your diving ie tech or rebreather if you think you may want to go down that route at a later date then it may well be worth looking at a full tech computer like the VR3 now so tha tyou dont have to buy a computer now and then upgrade at a later date it may save you money in the long run.

Don't bother with air integration unless you have money to burn. Integration has nothing to do with the prime reason dive computers exist. The computer between your ears is a perfectly adequate integration and it avoids a whole level of underwater electronics, their costs and their potential failures. And yes, they do fail both terminally and intermittently.

Put it where YOU want Wrist, Console, Hose mount or on a retractor. I like my console arrangement on a short bungee clipped off my top left D ring. Consoles are not evil. Any gear poorly rigged and used is.

Absolutely get one that is Nitrox capable.

Pete

If both your hands are occupied, as with a camera housing and strobes, it is a nice convenience to be able to glance at your gas supply without disengaging from what you are focusing on.

Heads up display in the viewfinder? Quick patent it. :D

Pete

I have Tusa DC Hunter IQ-700. It is Seiko machine but it does all I need. It is PC downloadable and does 2 gas mixes as well as altitude. Reliable and good log capture. It is moderately priced. It is a bit bulky but it works well. had it for 2 years now. As for the mount, definitely WRIST.

My 0.02$,
if budget is a concern, definetly go non-air-integrated. Basic is what it's about and your good old SPG will do the job fine for keeping air pressure. Air integration is a non-essential "gadget" that is cool, but rises the cost tremendously.

Personally, I prefer wrist since it's easier faster to get a glimse of your current depth, NDL time remaining, Safety stop remaining, as well as ascent rate, while keeping a hand on the BC inflator. I thought I would have liked a console, but am very happy now I chose wrist. It's up to you, but think about how often you will need to check your console and if that causes a nuisance for you.

Get Nitrox capable (most are), unless you are 100% sure you will never take a Nitrox course!

Decide on the level of conservatism you want. very conservative (like the RGBM algorythms), or less conservative?

There are several good deals on wrist computers that fit these descriptions, for less than 200$. Amongst which the Ocanic VEO180 (less conservative) and the Mares M2 and Sunnto Gecko (more conservative, using RGBM).

Food for thought! Now think Boy, Think!!!!:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom