My eyesight gave out before the vis did.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulthenurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
SWMBO and I just got home from a trip to Iceland. While there we did a day of diving with Dive Iceland. Can't say enough good about diving with them. Nice guys, good, well maintained rental equipment and a pleasure to do business with.

But what I really have to rave about is the diving. Iceland straddles the crack between Europe and North America and is growing larger every year as the two continents pull apart. There is a dramatic cleft that runs southwest to northeast thru the country, similar to the San Andreas fault. Part of that fault line goes thru Thinglvir National Park, about an hour outside of Reykjavik. We dove in a small canyonlike branch of that fault that empties out into a really large, strikingly beautiful lake. They say that the water (glacial run off) has been percolating thru the lavafields for years to get to that lake and it is incredibly clean and cold. I've got to agree, it is the best water I've ever tasted. I kept taking my regulator out of my mouth and swallowing big mouthfuls as we drifted along. (How can I be so thirsty today when I drank so much last night?)

Here are a few pics of our day.

Here is our friend, Norm, on the stairs leading down to the entrance. You can see how the cleft leads eventually to the lake off in the distance. It ranges in depth from 60 -70 feet to knee deep. (There are 2-3 shallow areas seperating the deeper sections.)

Iceland063.jpg

The guys from Dive.IS, Alfi and Devin got a kick out of Norm. They picked us up at our hotel and carried all the gear in the trailer behind the van. It was nice to have Alfi drive so we could look around.

Iceland065.jpg

Europe on the left, North America on the right.

R1-5A.jpg

Finning into the lagoon. There was at least 300 feet of visibility in this area. Simply incredible!

R1-1A.jpg

I really like this pic of the surface ripples from below.

R1-16A.jpg

Unlimited Vis isn't always so hot, like when it allows anyone to see that your gear is flopping all over the place.

R1-15A.jpg

PTN

That crack in the bottom of the last pic was pretty cool. There was a steady flow of water coming out from it. There were many of these areas along the dive. If you wanted to you could do the entire dive without kicking your fins once, there was a nice little current moving you gently along. The water is all glacial run off. I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful that water tasted. (The hot water in the hotels was a different story, it's from the geothermal vents around the country and has a distinctly sulferous smell to it.)

PTN

Very cool pictures from an unusual dive site -- thank you for sharing this!

Cool! I love it when people go diving on vacations outside the standard "tropical destinations"!

Way to think outside the box! Then again, you have to be one of the more "out of the box" posters in this forum. :D

Beautiful spot - how cold is this water? I would assume near freezing.

Very cool and clear! One of the many reasons I love diving, unexpected adventures! Thanks for posting.

Very Cool. Thanks for posting!

Then again, you have to be one of the more "out of the box" posters in this forum. :D

Uhh, thanks.

I think.

Beautiful spot - how cold is this water? I would assume near freezing.

It's trying real hard to regain it's former glory as a glacier.

PTN

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom